Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Another Engine for the Mussentuchit Transfer
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Ephrata Valley RR EMD Diesel Action - Vol. 1 Topic Next Topic: Glenn’s Train Room  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 02 2022 :  3:19:15 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The Fish Hook and Mussentuchit Railroad sends a transfer train from its yard in Mussentuchit to the Tabor and Waldo's Crowler W. Flahar Yard. Often this job is pulled by a switcher, but occasionally, they use 2-8-0 number 41. It's an old Baldwin built for branchline service, and such engines were made in great numbers by Baldwin, back in the day. In the frugal manner of railroads, when its tender failed, they borrowed a slope back tender from a defunct switcher. The little old teakettle with its borrowed tender is plenty for a couple cars on a short run.

Of course that's in the fictional prototype of a model railroad. The truth is another thing:
First, the world of museums and tourist railroads has its share of little old branch-line consolidations and other wheel arrangements with low drivers and that straight boiler, and I who was born after the world dieselized still have a nostalgia for them. It would be nice to have the MDC Old Timer Consolidation on the line, but I wasn't sure how it would hold the rough track on my layout.

Second, I have long had an MDC Old-Timer Mogul, that's a nice high-drivered engine for passenger duty. At one point, I damaged the motor, causing much wear to the commutator. While I can keep it going, I don't know how many miles it really has in it. At a swap meet, I found a broken MDC Old-Timer consolidation with a good motor and bought it for the motor, which I put in the Mogul.

If those Consolidation parts, the old motor from the Mogul and an old Mantua slope-back tender could be made into working locomotive, I could find out how it fared on my layout. The original electrical pickups on the drivers only picked up on the first and last driver on the right. I made a new cover plate for the driver axles with electrical wipers for all eight drivers. Broken body parts were repaired or replaced. The tender was modified to pick up from both rails, and was renumbered to match the engine. It runs fairly well, but with a slight, barely noticable hitch in its getalong. There is at least one place where the locomotive shouldn't be backed up, but other than that it works. I don't know how much life is in the old motor, but I'd like to see the thing run, once in a while.

The shortest, least demanding run on the layout is the Mussentuchit Transfer, so I decided it should run there. It gets an occasional romp on the rails, without being worn out too quickly. Here it is, in its present form:

Knowing, now, that one of these will run on my layout, I plan to keep my eyes open for one in better shape.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 02 2022 :  7:43:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very nice engines. Good to run them on your beautiful layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 02 2022 :  9:41:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Beautiful steam engines. Nice work.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - September 03 2022 :  2:32:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Good job resurrecting that 2-8-0. I have one of those I bought for wifey some years ago. She loves steam engines. It's a gutsy little engine that pulls the best out of all my steamers. I've had twelve cars up a 4% grade with it. This locomotive is right at home on steep grades and sharp curves.

As near as I can tell, the MDC oldtime 2-8-0 is a dead ringer for West Virginia Central & Pittsburg #39. The WVC&P is better known as the Western Maryland's Thomas Subdivision between Cumberland, MD and Elkins, Wv. Operating conditions on this line are remarkably similar to those on my layout: grades up to 4%, curves that are too sharp for big engines, and heavy trains that needed to be moved with the heaviest tonnage moving UP the steepest grade.

Hopefully, you can one day find the locomotive you are looking for, or at least a better motor for this one. I think you;ll be impressed with its performance.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Ephrata Valley RR EMD Diesel Action - Vol. 1 Topic Next Topic: Glenn’s Train Room  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000