Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 37 ]  [ Total: 38 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Peconic Miniature Railroad
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Patcong Valley Model Railroad Topic Next Topic: Back to the Future  

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 13 2022 :  1:11:50 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Although this operation is gone there are photos and videos of it when it had operated.

Was located near a home in Greenport New York. Not my photos.

Less than a mile from the Long Island Railroad train station.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5779  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 13 2022 :  1:17:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

My photos of it in Greenport New York when I visited in 2005.

Closed in 2012. May reopen next year in a nearby location.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5779  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 13 2022 :  1:34:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I hope to go there tomorrow to see if there is any progress on the rebuilding project of the miniature railroad.

https://railpace.com/railfanning-the-north-fork-of-long-island-part-2-riverhead-to-greenport/

Nice train trip to the area.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5779  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 13 2022 :  1:39:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Internet video of the ride back in the day.

Not my video.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 13 2022 :  3:36:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Remember the man who created and operated this wonderful layout.

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/coronavirus/obituaries/frank-field-jr-trains-greenport-t89546

And plans are underway to continue his train operation near the previous one.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - August 13 2022 :  9:10:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
It would greatly help if you didn't post links to articles that require me to buy a subscription to a newspaper I'll never read again.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 13 2022 :  9:40:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

More internet videos.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 17 2022 :  12:23:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I did go back on Sunday to see the old site. Tracks are still there.

Nature reclaims her land. Bittersweet.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 17 2022 :  12:54:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Be nice if they restarted the operation with less trackage.

But rules and laws probably will prevent any amusement ride activities from running again.

Rails have yet to be installed at the new site. Likely two years or more.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - August 17 2022 :  9:36:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Tracks by his house are gone Town is deadlocked on where to pt the train Museum is not nvolved wILL BE SELLING AT rIVERHEAD ON auG 27
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1060  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 18 2022 :  10:46:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Although the project is going at a snail's pace the set is looking good.

Does look good. See how long it takes to get the operation restarted in Greenport.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 18 2022 :  10:53:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
what will happen to the abandoned tracks now?
I'd go & rip them out for reuse or sell them off
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 18 2022 :  11:50:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Unknown at this time the fate of the rails. Probably will be removed in a few years.

Facebook page shows repaint project for the engine and three cars.

https://m.facebook.com/100063462043615/

Scroll down to the September 22 2021 post for photos.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - August 18 2022 :  7:41:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Have to ask Don about that He supervises the River
head Museum Greenport town is gotta figure out what to do

Edited by - thesiding on August 18 2022 7:42:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1060  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 22 2022 :  03:29:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Few more internet photos to remember the recent past.

Was a nice set. Not my photos.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 22 2022 :  03:38:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Quite some endeavor.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 22 2022 :  7:58:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Certainly was a labor of love for Frank Field.

Photo courtesy of Newsday of Long Island.

"Remember Long Islanders lost to the Corona Virus.

Frank Field of Greenport is a lover of trains at work and at home.
He is shown doing what he loved most and that is watching passengers take a ride on his miniature railroad in Greenport.

Credit: Gordon M. Grant

By Antonio Planas
February 18, 2021

Frank Field retired years ago as a mechanical engineer with the Long Island Rail Road.
However a peek at his Greenport backyard gave passersby a clue that while his time at the LIRR had ended his love of trains remained.

For decades Field entertained train lovers of all ages and occasionally jolted his then teenage children from sleep.

With the Peconic County Miniature Rail Road which he built on his 3 acre property and opened to the public to ride in 1985.

I used to tell people I hated that train in the backyard because he would wake me up Saturday mornings as a teenager.

I wanted to sleep in said Mary Anne Polkiewicz who is 60 one of Field's three daughters.

Once I had kids I really had an appreciation for it and my children loved it.
My kids got to drive it. He would take it out just for them.

Field at 88 years of age died Sunday at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital from complications of Covid 19 said Polkiewicz of Laurel Maryland.

Her father was beloved by his family and Long Islanders alike for building the unlikely amusement off a dirt road near Webb Street.
Polkiewicz said.
Creating lifetime memories aboard the mini red and black rail cars that traveled along a one mile route is what she remembers most about her father Polkiewicz said.

The village's hidden jewel closed in 2012 because Field said he no longer had the energy to oversee it.

His family said Field was first drawn to miniature trains in 1953 after seeing one at an amusement park. Field vowed he would own one.
He bought a train through a trade magazine in the 1980s. Before opening the park to the public he had an engine a flat car and a caboose.
Eventually he allowed riders on once a week for no fee except a voluntary donation to a local hospital.

Another of Field’s daughters Michelle Lang who is 61of Loveland Ohio said her dad doted on her two children who both cherished his trains.
The family’s backyard railroad which included memorabilia such as lights, signs, miniature buildings and a bridge made her father’s name resonate locally.

I thought it was such a cool thing to hear other people talk about their experiences their joy and how much he gave to them Lang said.

Field was born in the Bronx in 1932 relatives said. He graduated from Sewanhaka High School in Floral Park and earned a mechanical engineering degree from the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago.

He was later drafted into the Army and served two years at the Army Chemical Center in Edgewood Maryland.

He joined the LIRR in 1970 according to family.

Polkiewicz who now works for the U.S. Federal Railroad Administration in Washington, D.C., said she followed in her father’s path and could not avoid the impact of the rails even if she wanted to.

We were like three blocks from the Long Island Rail Road station in Bellerose she said.
The freight trains with the diesels would come through and shake the house.

Although the real life railroad is where he made a living the miniature rails in Greenport captured Field's heart and mind.
He tinkered on his backyard masterpiece for decades creating a winding track and building it so two trains could run simultaneously during the ten minute excursion.

Greenport Mayor George Hubbard said that image is what he will always remember.

You would see people you know going the opposite way Hubbard said.
It was a thrill for everybody young and old.

The village’s Rotary Club years ago pitched building a new railroad to replace Field’s creation on the edge of village property by Moores Lane.
Newsday reported in 2017 the proposal would cost about $300,000.

The Rotary Club has now raised more than half Hubbard said.
The plan will be greenlit as soon as it is approved by the state's Department of Environmental Conservation."

Rest in Peace Mr. Field

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - August 22 2022 :  9:03:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Was there on his last run day in 2012 Got video but had problems with video camera I had at the time

Supposedly his wife gave him the New Haven locomotive least that is what I heard

Will be at Riverhead this weekend weather permiting SO mybe able to see it and find out status

As far as I know Long Island steamers still operates in Center Moriches

AND SUPPOSEDLY The Dining Car resturant abandoned for years is still standing

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 22 2022 :  10:32:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Hopefully they will have it in operation in a few years.

The welcome center back in the day. Not my photos.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - August 27 2022 :  7:53:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
WELL The Peconic rail is ready just needs a place to run

According to Riverhead Rail Museum the labor costs of laying the track are a factor in the delay as with the real thing the railroad has to be planned out and over all maintained The people who did this kind of wor re a dying breed due to it being a lost art of workman ship

At any rate my table today at same museum There annual railfest is also on hold due to (and if you live here) THE HIGH COST OF LIVING ON LONG ISLAND

Made some money today

Edited by - thesiding on August 28 2022 07:54:54 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 27 2022 :  11:07:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
WELLL The Peconic rain is ready just needs a place to run

According to Riverhead Rail Museum the labor costs of laying the track are a factor in the delay as with the real thing the railroad hads to be planned out and over all maintained The people who did this kind of wor re a dying breed due to it being a lost art of workman ship

At any rate my table today at same museum There anual railfest is also on hold due to (and if you live here) THE HIGH COST OF LIVING ON LONG ISLAND

Made some money today

Originally posted by thesiding - August 27 2022 :  7:53:34 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 20 2023 :  3:50:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I read construction is underway.

"Greenport Miniature Railroad is preserving a piece of our legacy.
The community response has been incredible. A groundbreaking for the Greenport Express which is a miniature railroad takes place on Saturday.

Posted Friday October 14 2022 at 7:00 pm.

A miniature railroad in Greenport that has been a part of childhood memories for many is set for its next chapter delighting new generations who hop on for a ride.

It is full steam ahead for the Greenport Express a miniature railroad that's sparked both an outpouring of nostalgia and excitement for the beloved train's next chapter.

A groundbreaking will be held Saturday October 15 at 3 p.m. on Moores Lane in Greenport for "The Greenport Express," a miniature railroad. For years, the Greenport Rotary has been fundraising to breathe new life into the railroad, which so many remember fondly.

The Greenport Express project has included the acquisition of a miniature train with an engine and three passenger cars, the construction of a quarter mile track on land provided by the Village of Greenport, and the construction of a facility with a passenger area, public restrooms and a maintenance area for the train.

The 16 gauge train, circa 1954, has a capacity to carry 36 children; the track will run through the woods on property owned by the Village of Greenport.

We are working to preserve a piece of our local legacy said a letter from the Greenport Rotary. The miniature railroad in Greenport was the inspiration of Frank Field who moved to the Village in the early 1970s. After a long career with the Long Island Rail Rod, Frank retired and began his dream of building a miniature train. In 1984 Frank Field began offering train rides to the public on weekends and holidays. Halloween became the most memorable. The miniature train delighted thousands of children and families until 2012.

In 2015, the letter continued — Rotarian Joe Cherepowich — Walker's father — conceived of the idea of bringing the railroad back to the village. He met with Greenport Village Mayor George Hubbard and the village board soon also expressed support. He then presented the idea to the Rotary Club of Greenport and the project commenced.

The Village of Greenport and the Rotary Club formed a partnership with the agreement that the club would purchase the train, and construct the track and facility — and the village would provide the land and operate it on weekends and holidays.

To date the train has been completely restored and refurbished. We have received New York State Department of Environmental Conservation approval and the contract with the village has been signed. The land has been cleared, the sub-base has been put down and the required bridge has been built. The restrooms and train station have been designed. The next step will be laying of the track and construction of the train depot.

The goal is to have the train up and running again by next summer, Walker said that proposed plans include operating the train on weekends and holidays during the spring, summer and fall."

That would be this year since the article was published in October 2022.
Great news.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - March 20 2023 :  6:28:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Suffolk Times? Museum at Riverhead will not be open for about another month maybe able to find put then

If you are a tin plater new store has opened in Manorhaven New York Electric Trains Though mostly Lionel they at times do sell HO and N A good place for the train would be the Carousel since it is flat BUT not very scenic as the Peconic was One of the biggest problems would be drainage due to the water table

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 20 2023 :  8:24:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

A couple of articles mentioned the miniature railroad back in late 2022.
I plan on going to the area by mid May when the trees are in bloom.
I found one recent internet photo.

Does not give a date but it could be in the winter. Mild winter this season.
Located less than a mile from the Greenport train station.
Walk west on Main Street and go a bit north when you reach Moore's Lane.
Located at the Skate Park rolling rink area. My Google map also identify's it as Railroad Park.
Fun times ahead for all ages.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 20 2023 :  8:55:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I found a video of the new layout. Tracks are in.

They took into consideration the possible flooding situation so the track and roadbed is elevated.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 20 2023 :  10:53:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some internet photos of the station being built.

The track goes inside the station building. Pretty cool.

Almost done with hopefully a June start up.

Brochure shows the route. A lot done since I was there last August.
No track nor station at the time. Just clearing of the route.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - September 10 2023 :  8:44:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Was there today. When is it gonna run? Do not know

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 10 2023 :  10:30:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I have not heard the start up date yet. Hopefully before Christmas.

https://greenportrotary.org/greenportexpress/

Their group meets at a local diner Tuesday mornings.
Call around 8 am for further information. 631-477-0138.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - September 11 2023 :  11:51:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
All the track is down and is a pear shaped loop My guess they might do something holiday themed like Halloween or Christmas

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 17 2023 :  8:48:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some internet photos of the station.

Maybe by Christmas the miniature train will run.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 04 2023 :  05:34:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Internet video shows a test run three weeks ago.

Should be open to the public before Christmas season.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - November 04 2023 :  10:52:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Maybe a Christmas themed thing will open Hope to get to Riverhead Museum tomorrow after Lindenhurst sale can possibly get more info

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 04 2023 :  12:25:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some Facebook photos show the equipment being loaded and running on the Greenport site.

Facebook site says 2024 open to the public. Still may have some test runs later this month and December.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php/?id=100063462043615

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - November 04 2023 :  8:35:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Pretty sure it was Don Fisher running it on the other vid If I see him tomorrow will find out

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 05 2023 :  12:02:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

More Facebook page photos.

Many thanks to the people of the area that kept the miniature railroad going.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php/?id=100067392399386

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 05 2023 :  1:56:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

The repainted engine could be this one from decades ago at Frank Field's property a mile away.

Previous Topic: Patcong Valley Model Railroad Topic Next Topic: Back to the Future  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000