Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 My finished F&C McKeen motor car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: G+D water tank car Topic Next Topic: RP Works Custom Locomotives & Other Projects  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 23 2022 :  10:31:16 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Today I finished a project that I started over 6 years ago, the McKeen motor car kit from Funaro & Camerlengo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujJHzHzmCss

The resin body and other parts were molded based on the old Ken Kidder brass model, so a fair amount of detail work is needed since they were kind of lacking in that area. The paint scheme is based on the currently operating V&T car in Nevada, the chassis/interior was designed by examining photos and original drawings available online then 3D printed, and the motor truck is driven only by the front axle using a small Mabuchi 3-pole skewed armature motor. It was a lot of work, but it turned out great!

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 23 2022 :  11:02:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Nice! I've seen that car at the Nevada State Railway Museum. In fact, one of the museum crew gave me a tour of it. He said that the original engine was in the open in the cab and that the motorman was deaf after two weeks of running the car.

Closer to my home, but way before my time, an interurban line was built between Sycamore, IL and Cortland, IL. As a temporary way to run before the trolley wire was built, they used a McKeen car. I don't think they ever did get around to putting up the wire, so "temporary" was about as permanent as the railroad, which is no more.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 24 2022 :  10:01:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
One of a kind. Extraordinary build. Thanks for posting.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 25 2022 :  10:40:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow! Impressive work! The 3D-printed interior and custom lighting are a special touch and turned out awesome!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 26 2022 :  1:21:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Looks great on your layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5870  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 27 2022 :  10:03:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real cool
I'd like to get one
I heard this was more Aerodynamic in reverse than forward

I'd like mine in V&T
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 31 2022 :  1:29:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Thanks, all!

microbusss, they didn't know about aerodynamics back then and based the design on ships, so it's hydrodynamic going forward but would actually be more aerodynamic going backwards!

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - August 04 2022 :  08:35:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
A quality effort all around.... Isn't it rewarding to complete a project that took a lot of time and have it turn great...???
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: G+D water tank car Topic Next Topic: RP Works Custom Locomotives & Other Projects  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000