Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Railroadiana
 Northport NY
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Harrisburg Lincoln and Lancaster Railroad Topic Next Topic: Oyster Bay   NY Turntable  

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - July 16 2022 :  3:51:06 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Got up early to go to sale in Northport Since it did not start till ten PM decided to visit the town STILL has some of the Trolley tracks on the main

Tracks leading from marina

Continues down road

end of the line just under a mile

Supposedly during holidays a trolley would be used on the very short line of track do not know if they still do this

Edited by - thesiding on July 16 2022 3:53:12 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 16 2022 :  5:55:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos. Facebook page about the trolley service back in the day.

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.648121238549095.1073741835.639568966070989&type=3

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 16 2022 :  6:00:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

More information about the former trolley line.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northport_Traction_Company

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 16 2022 :  6:04:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

And there was a LIRR line to Northport village.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northport_Branch

Now a hiking trail.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 16 2022 :  6:54:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Still has LIRR service but it is two miles south of Northport village.

My photos from April 2020 at East Northport. I have to go back there to check out the village.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - July 16 2022 :  8:19:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Yes I remember that line it was still the till the eighties even when abandoned My Dad drove past it when he worked at the VA hospital I remember seeing a freight train coming through the Northport train station back in 1970 or so It was a mixed freight
Edited by - thesiding on July 21 2023 10:27:12 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 16 2022 :  8:46:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

They ran their RDC units a few times on the Northport spur.

Nice internet photos from 1956 and 1964.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - July 31 2022 :  9:19:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Was at Riverhead with modest success BUT my neighbor was selling
Edited by - thesiding on July 21 2023 10:26:19 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 25 2023 :  11:12:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I went to Northport yesterday to explore the village.

Long Island Railroad train leaves Northport and heads to Port Jefferson. Platform being rebuilt.

Northport depot.

Another view of the depot.

About a mile west from the station I enter the rail trail of the former Northport branch line.

When it was built the line went to the village back in the 1800s.

The railroad wanted to extend the line but land owners blocked the project.

So the railroad created a junction with a switch about a mile and a half west of the old depot in Northport village.

And they built another depot southeast of the village. Where the current depot is.

I exit the trail here. The track would have been near that yellow sign.

The opposite view looking northeast where a car wash business is now located on the former right of way.

Across route 25A is where the old depot would have been around here. Long gone with a shopping center in its place.

After the shopping center there is a lumber yard across a street where the track would have extended for another block or so.

No evidence of any railroad artifacts or relics to be seen today.
But old photos and locations show there was a railroad here long ago.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 25 2023 :  12:10:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

After leaving the area where the former rail line was I head to the center of the village.

About a mile away is this church which looks similar to the Tyco model.

Along Main Street we see the old trolley track of the line which went from Northport Harbor to East Northport train station.

I am at the harbor looking east of Main Street. I guess they kept the track for historical reasons. Or too expensive to remove.

Beautiful harbor and park to visit. Northport village is gorgeous and not far from the current train station.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 25 2023 :  12:19:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some old photos of the line before the track was removed.

https://arrts-arrchives.com/oldnpt.html

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 25 2023 :  8:03:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Last photos on this link show a part of the old Northport branch line.

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirr_rdc.htm

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 26 2023 :  1:59:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

My videos of Northport Harbor from Monday.

I am going back to Northport today to see it again. Not the rail trail.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 27 2023 :  12:23:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I went back to Northport this afternoon.

Beautiful buildings and the old trolley track adds to the nostalgia.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 27 2023 :  12:32:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

And the harbor adds to the fun.

Cannot forget about the trains two miles away in East Northport New York.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 27 2023 :  02:05:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Idyllic. So sad, yet so predictable, this marvelous method of transportation
abandoned for the automobile. You are the only person I've met who relies
exclusively on mass transit and your two feet. Came across an account from
1912 where the writer says, "soon automobiles will be as common as horses."

It is almost, but not quite, amusing how the EV boom is coming along. The
massively environmentally destructive batteries cannot be recycled, and
remain sensitive to hot and cold. When owners try to trade these EV's out
in five years, they will discover they have something of virtually no value
as the cost of battery replacement will far, far exceed the vehicles net worth.

Fact remains, batteries simply don't have any ability to perform or to last.
Whatever gimmicks are applied to them are simply that: gimmicks of no
lasting value.

The bane of all public transit is the "first and last mile." How does one get
from terminus to destination? When those lovely privately funded (and enviromentally
friendly) trolleys laced their tracks everywhere, it was pretty good, overall,
from what I have seen. Lovely interurbans would speed their guests in
safety and comfort through the countryside.

Years ago, when I was really getting bit hard by the Tyco bug, I staged this trolley scene
of a wrecked trolley as an expression of my dismay and sadness these
wonderful trains had been shoved aside for the motor vehicle.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - July 27 2023 :  10:51:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Some though NOT neccesarily Trolley pictured here survive The term is "light rail" wished I could have rode the one in Salt Lake City Gonna be at Riverhead this weekend for their "mini mart"

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 27 2023 :  3:20:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I know, if wishes were horses beggars would ride. It is a hopelessly romantic notion,
but one that would be quite realistic if oil becomes a scarce commodity. Estimates
vary, and much of those estimates appear to be skewed by political views as much
as anything.

What is observable, is that all over the world there is an abundance of consumption
of oil. Eventually common sense will dictate the tap will eventually run dry.

In such a case, rail is the most economically viable (and least polluting) option
to move people and things.

Conversely, light rail is struggling in many places. I don't know about SLC, but
one hears the Seattle system is a ridership flop. I've ridden all over Denver's system,
and it is never near capacity. It's good for a ride to the airport, but the as far
as getting to places in and around Denver is that it is largely relegated to the fringes
of the city, so the last mile is really a problem. One can hike it to a bus, and that
does make it at least useable, but still people prefer the convenience of a car, and
imaginably, always will.

Since the automobile gained dominance a hundred years ago, suburban sprawl
is much of the last mile problem. However, it is unlikely that Americans will abandon
their homesteads for apartment living.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - July 27 2023 :  4:25:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Next time you are in Northport try the Panda Resturant Nice Chinese food

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 27 2023 :  10:20:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Seems like the restaurant is a bit away from the village. Besides I prefer to have an empty stomach when I travel.

Some old internet photos and my own new photos of the approximate location for comparison.

May not be exact but it is on the branch line circa 1930 and 2023.

I can only imagine the whistle echoing in the area.

The same church on Main Street. The old trees obscure the steeple.

The old trolley barn and the new park separated by a century.

Main Street near the docks at the harbor from a century ago and now.

The old lumber yard from 1940 and the new lumber yard from 2023.
At the end of the line near Northport village.

I prefer the new Northport and do not miss the old tracks.
Still it is nice to see the past and the present.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 28 2023 :  01:09:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Interesting now-to-then comparisons. I'd enjoy seeing more of that.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 29 2023 :  5:29:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"Supposedly during holidays a trolley would be used on the very short line of track . I do not know if they still do this."
Originally posted by thesiding on July 16 2022.

I found a photo of the trolley used during the 1970s and 1980s.

Only photo I found on the internet so far. A wedding from 1984.
Some information I found out about the revival of the Northport trolley.

"The Northport Trolley which had ceased operations in 1924 enjoyed a popular revival in the 1970s and 1980s.
Transporting weekend tourists along Main Street.

Unlike the original electric trolleys this nostalgic replica was horse driven.
It will run on rubber automobile tires rather than using the original rails still visible on Main Street to this day."

Another story about the revival of the trolley.

"Students from Northport High School looked at some problems of the future they found one solution in the past.
Trolley cars that once graced the streets of this harbor village.

Air pollution and energy shortages and traffic congestion all disappear when they considered the trolley.
So they set out to bring the trolley car back to Northport.

It is a great idea said Sam Davis a Northport merchant.
A trolley belongs in Northport it is just that kind of village.

Sam made the return of the Northport trolley possible when he donated a 19th century horsedrawn vehicle.
A class in future studies taught by Joseph Burton and Santo Scarpinito had been looking for a trolley.

Class members were ready to do the work of putting it into motion.
Unlike the original trolley the new vehicle will be drawn by two horses.

The original trolley tracks still visible on the streets will be a symbolic reminder but not the route of the new trolley car.

The new route will begin at Northport Junior High School on Laurel Road and proceed north to Main Street.
From there it will head west along Main Street past Church Street and past the village hall to its final stop at the harbor.

It will cost 50 cents to take the mile and a half trip and 25 cents for the elderly.
The trolley will run on summer weekends in Northport.
If it proves a success the service may be expanded to include weekdays.

If it is not successful the village reserves the right to cancel the contract.

They worked out all the details of the new run right down to the responsibility for cleaning up after the horses.
There will be a corporation employee following each trolley run whose job it will be to keep the streets clean."

I guess it was too much trouble so the service is long gone. Still it was nice while it lasted.

Previous Topic: Harrisburg Lincoln and Lancaster Railroad Topic Next Topic: Oyster Bay   NY Turntable  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000