Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW: July 10th - July 16th
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW: July 17th - July 23rd Topic Next Topic: 	LOTW July 20 - July 26 2022  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 10 2022 :  9:36:59 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I found this at a train store yesterday and bought it for a good price, but there are no markings on it. The shape of the shell leads me to believe it is a Gilbert or Varney F2/F3? But the dummy chassis has a place for a coupler box, which can't be used as there is no opening in the pilot of the diesel. Depending on the manufacturer of the shell, were there ever any undecorated shells produced?

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - July 15 2022 :  01:33:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
RP,

Some Gilbert diesels have three sets of two steps, but the steps were filled in. Other Gilbert diesels have open steps - 1 step below the cab, 1 step above the rear truck 2 steps at the rear. So, I think your engine is a Marx, which has three sets of 2 steps that are open (not filled in).

I don't ever recall seeing a Gilbert shell in grey.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 15 2022 :  9:30:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
RP,

Some Gilbert diesels have three sets of two steps, but the steps were filled in. Other Gilbert diesels have open steps - 1 step below the cab, 1 step above the rear truck 2 steps at the rear. So, I think your engine is a Marx, which has three sets of 2 steps that are open (not filled in).

I don't ever recall seeing a Gilbert shell in grey.

Originally posted by Brian4321-July 15 2022: 01:33:16 AM

Alrighty, so it is a Marx. I'll unscrew the chassis from the shell to see if maybe the name is stamped inside the shell.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - July 22 2022 :  2:51:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
That's hard to identify exactly. I have read Varney made stuff for Gilbert, including the F units.
Varney in later years to compete price-wise went plastic. Identifiers on first glance is single horn in the middle, not two, and it's cast integral. The shell is peaked down the middle. The steps are same as Varney plastic. Here is a shot from TCA of a plastic Varney F:

Front coupler is typical. You get to hog out the hole, for whatever you want for couplers. Some of my die cast Varney F units were the same.
Used to get them as giveaways at shows.
Fuel fill, sand hatches, horn, ladders, number boards all the same.

From TCA:
In 1955, the by then Miami, Florida based Varney Co. produced a whole new and varied line of HO trains, for the A. C. Gilbert Company, makers of the 'S' gauge American Flyer trains, called Gilbert HO. Varney provided A-B F-3 EMD diesels along with stock, hopper, a cement car, oil tank cars, and a Reading style caboose.

So, hard to tell.
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW: July 17th - July 23rd Topic Next Topic: 	LOTW July 20 - July 26 2022  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000