Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 30 ]  [ Total: 30 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Morristown & Erie GP-7
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tips on Painting Brass? Topic Next Topic: AHM/Tyco Rolling Bridge  

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - July 06 2022 :  10:49:26 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
I have been wanting to paint this engine for a while. I found the shell and chassis at a train show last fall. So, I had finally had some time to paint it and put it together by July 4th, 2022. This Morristown & Erie GP-7 I have seen sitting for a while on a siding near where I go to the gym. One day I stopped and was able to walk up to it and took a lot of pics of it. Then after mixing the grey-blue color, I was able to take a paint sample and hold it next to the engine. It was pretty close. I used a special mix Cotton Belt Grey I had lying around and found a Testor's Sea Blue color which brought it close enough to the original engine color. After a couple of weeks, the engine disappeared from the siding. I hope it wasn't sent to the Naporano Scrap yards to be cut up.....
Here are the results:

Here are the pics of the real engine:

Edited by - AF Kid on July 06 2022 8:41:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2024 Alert Moderator 

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - July 06 2022 :  12:46:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I don't think Naporano's got it. I think they're out of business.

Nice touch with the offset number boards. There is a story behind why the real ones are that way. On first generation EMDs the number boards as originally built do not sit flush with the glass the way they do on newer units. EMD used a light box with slots in the front so that the numbers could easily be changed. Certain railroads, like SP, used to change the number boards to reflect the train they were pulling. If number 100 was pulling train 53, the number boards would read 53 instead of 100. Most number boards I came across while combing the boneyards at Altoona were set up for 4 digit numbers and thus had 4 slots. The whole box sat in a bracket in the nose and could be easily pulled out to change the numbers, or the light bulbs. It was an ingenious system that few modellers have ever seen in person.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - July 06 2022 :  12:54:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
That's interesting! Thanks!
Maybe, Hopefully it is on another siding....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 06 2022 :  3:09:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Sweet paint job!

One thing I've noticed on number boards is that some railroads have an X followed by the engine number. Some railroads run most trains as extras, so the train number of an eastbound train pulled by engine 844, for example would be Extra 844 East (X844).

This goes along with Jward's point about the number board being the train number.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 06 2022 :  9:08:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Excellent work!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 06 2022 :  10:36:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Realistic look to honor its prototype. Well done.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5775  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 07 2022 :  12:03:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Most impressive- modeling a survivor in survivor stenciling.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - January 11 2023 :  9:11:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Today 1/11/23 I saw that engine ME 100 on the same siding where I took those pics....
So, I stopped and took a close look at it....
The good news is that it is still in service. M&E uses it to haul some tank cars back and forth...
The bad news is that it was hit by some Urban Yutes that tagged it with some grafitti. I hate idiots that do that stuff....

Edited by - AF Kid on January 11 2023 9:12:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - January 14 2023 :  6:08:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Interesting locomotive, almost a dead ringer for the Athearn shell having both dynamic brakes and a winterization hatch covering one of the radiator fans. If you look closely at the prototype pictures you can see the original paint scheme underneath the blue-grey paint....

Can you see it?

It's an old Bangor and Aroostook locomotive. Check the link below to see how it used to look when it was in service in Maine...

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bar/bar68dsa.jpg

Other BAR details include the bell bracket mounted up high on the short hood, the undersized fuel tank, and the unusual looking MU cable receptacles.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on January 15 2023 11:45:21 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - January 14 2023 :  7:58:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Athearn made a small number of GP-7u M & E patched engines....

Edited by - AF Kid on January 14 2023 7:59:52 PM
  Previous Topic: Tips on Painting Brass? Topic Next Topic: AHM/Tyco Rolling Bridge  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000