Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Ephrata Valley L-Shaped Layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Queens County Model Railroad Club Topic Next Topic: Action on the famous Longvallon RR  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 17 2022 :  10:23:14 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
With inspiration from Chops' recent Henley expansion and larger layouts, I decided to expand my Ephrata Valley RR 4x8 layout, by adding another 4x4 section, to create a L-shaped layout! The basement is now at full capacity.

I was lucky enough to find a large skid made out of 3 2x4x8's in a dumpster, so I loaded it in my truck, brought it home, and later took it apart to salvage the 2x4's. I saved probably 15 to 20 bucks.

I then cut the 2x4's, assembled a frame, and attached a 4x4 cut sheet of 3/4" plywood to it. Shoutout to Mom and Dad for lending me a hand with the building process.

I only needed about 12 inches or so of 2x4 to cut pieces for the banquet table legs to attach to, so a 2x4 from the scrap barrel in the garage came in handy. The next and most tedious step was building and attaching the table legs to the underside of the table.

Perfect height, aside from being a little bowed and the uneven basement floor.

I happened to have a 4 foot wide, by about 4.5 foot long piece of green fabric left over from the 4x8 layout project, so I used it, and glued it to the tabletop.

I then spent the next 2 days working on the railroad - laying track, removing track, and wiring. I used the Tyco block switch from RETRO TYCO, and set it up so that 3 trains can run at one time (2 on the 4x8 and 1 on the 4x4, controlled by a separate powerpack) -- OR 1 train can run from the 4x8 onto the 4x4 and back again. Lastly, after testing and testing, I nailed down all track. I haven't had any major derailments related to the trackwork - surprisingly, all trains run smooth! This new setup not only gives me more room, but will make for a more interesting experience as HO-Scale train engineer, with paying close attention to the switches. I still have more trackwork to go.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 18 2022 :  12:49:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
DIAMONDS, DUDE! Your frame work heads and tails better than anything
I've ever done, and out of the dumpster, now less! I really like that bypass
track on the inside of the feeder- I'd never have thought to do that. Very
clever use of turnouts that allow for easy in, easy out centered on that diamond. I don't think I've ever seen quite that arrangement before. Best
of it is good to hear that it isn't derailing trains.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - May 18 2022 :  11:47:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I like the way you overbuild your benchwork, and use 3/4" plywood for the base. That's a good sturdy layout there. And the junction! I am impressed. can't wait to see the trains running through that place.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Lachute
Switcher

CNRedAvatar

Posted - May 18 2022 :  12:27:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Lachute to Buddylist
Well done ! Very impressive. I'll follow your work with a great interest.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: May 15 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - May 18 2022 :  5:13:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Fantastic job. RP. Companies are always throwing those pallats away even though the wood is good. Glad you kept it out of a landfill. The new layout looks great - can't wait to see the trains running. At this rate, you are going to need a bigger basement or start layering the tables!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - May 18 2022 :  8:01:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice expansion. The engine house complex does take a lot of real estate.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 18 2022 :  8:42:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks, all! Adding this extension reminds me of all the work I put into the original 4x4 Ephrata Valley RR layout, and how that platform was found in the trash 6+ years ago.

Chops - Thank you. It took me a long time of literally playing with brass track to come up with such a setup that works quite well. Plus, with the "x" track on the 4x4 layout, it will remain possible to separate the layouts if ever needed, in the future.

jward - Yes, thanks. I too like how the junction turned out and look forward to sharing a video of trains riding the rails soon.

Lachute - Thank you, I appreciate it.

Brian - Thanks! Yes, reusing is great, and the 2x4's were straighter than a lot of those sold at home improvement stores. Well, I have a lot of work to do so I think this extension will do, for now. Plus, there's a whole town I still will be fine detailing on the 4x8. A layout is truly never finished.

wks - Thank you. Yeah, it does, but I think I can make it fit, along with 1 siding for an industry, and maybe a mountain. I don't know yet.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 19 2022 :  01:09:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
All those points can be tricky business, and it sounds like you
are on track!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CPL57
Switcher

RoboAvatar

Posted - May 22 2022 :  02:50:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CPL57 to Buddylist
A new awesome layout is born. Love it !
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 67  ~  Member Since: May 21 2022  ~  Last Visit: June 07 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 24 2022 :  9:06:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank You!

Turns out my wiring was terribly wrong. After research, I was able to wire everything correctly, thru the use of a DPDT switch. I will be putting out a YouTube video in the near future documenting my wiring process, but for now, enjoy this video of 3 EV trains running on the L at the same time!
https://youtu.be/91PErB41wnY

Edited by - RP model railroads on May 24 2022 9:08:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CPL57
Switcher

RoboAvatar

Posted - May 25 2022 :  02:10:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CPL57 to Buddylist
You've done a hell of a job. Congrats.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 67  ~  Member Since: May 21 2022  ~  Last Visit: June 07 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 09 2022 :  11:06:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
So long to the roundhouse idea...because the 4x4 part of the L-shaped Ephrata Valley Railroad will be industrial, featuring 3 sidings for 3 different industries (Spartan Tire Manufacturing being one, Putnick Salvage yard being another, with a 3rd to be determined.) There will eventually be a road that crosses the 2 tracks and enters into the industrial area (center of layout,) where there will be a water company and electric power station, for the town of Ephrata.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 10 2022 :  01:22:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I think this is better- visually more interesting and the scrap yard is very
interesting in an of itself. You already did a successful roundhouse, so
it's always good to try something.

CPL
Switcher

141R000

Posted - June 10 2022 :  04:55:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CPL to Buddylist
Well done ! Congrats.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 27  ~  Member Since: June 08 2022  ~  Last Visit: June 13 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 10 2022 :  9:29:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you both.

I do believe it will be more fun as well, and somewhat more realistic, to have industries with sidings where I can actually do some switching.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 10 2022 :  11:30:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I do believe it will be more fun as well, and somewhat more realistic, to have industries with sidings where I can actually do some switching.
Originally posted by RP model railroads - June 10 2022 :  9:29:02 PM

Switching is fascinating. It'll reel you in and hold you, kind of like when you're reading a book and don't want to put it down.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 12 2022 :  9:26:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RP model railroads - June 10 2022 :  9:29:02 PM

Switching is fascinating. It'll reel you in and hold you, kind of like when you're reading a book and don't want to put it down.

Originally posted by scsshaggy-June 10 2022: 11:30:15 PM

Perfect analogy.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - June 13 2022 :  11:06:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
Thank You!

Turns out my wiring was terribly wrong. After research, I was able to wire everything correctly, thru the use of a DPDT switch. I will be putting out a YouTube video in the near future documenting my wiring process, but for now, enjoy this video of 3 EV trains running on the L at the same time!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - May 24 2022 :  9:06:08 PM

What did you do that required a DpDT switch? Looking at your plan, to seems like a few Atlas Selectors should be able to take care of everything you needed to do. Is there something I'm not seeing?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - June 13 2022 :  8:44:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice updates.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 13 2022 :  9:43:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Thank You!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - May 24 2022 :  9:06:08 PM

What did you do that required a DpDT switch? Looking at your plan, to seems like a few Atlas Selectors should be able to take care of everything you needed to do. Is there something I'm not seeing?

Originally posted by jward-June 13 2022: 11:06:14 AM

Well, what I wanted to do is wire up the layouts so that I could either run a train from the 4x8 to the 4x4 and back again, or run 2 separate trains at once, using different powerpacks. Wiring is something I admit, I'm not the greatest at, but the DPDT seemed to be the simplest solution.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - June 14 2022 :  07:16:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I guess i've been wiring layouts for so long that it all seems simple to me and I often forget that it is a mystery to many.

The DPDT switch does work, but so would the Atlas Selectors. In fact, they are designed to do just what you are trying to accomplish. which is two cab operation on a set of tracks.

WIring a layout to do this is just a series of simple, basic circuits repeated as many times as necessary. Understanding this takes most of the mystery out of it. You are fortunate in that your layout doesn't need the most problematic of these basic circuits, reverse loop wiring.

I'd like to extend the invitation to anybody on the forum who needs wiring help to submit their track plan to me and I;ll see if I can come up with a simple, easy to follow wiring scheme that would allow two train operation on any track.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 14 2022 :  10:39:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Well, I used 2 Atlas Selectors to wire up my engine yard - Norristown Yard - on the 4x8, and it was actually quite simple to wire up.

But because the track on the 4x8 is connected to the 4x4 in 2 places (due to the X-track) the use of Atlas selectors seemed more confusing to me. The DPDT switch seems to be easier, and I will wire it up as shaggy suggested.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - June 15 2022 :  12:34:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
You are using Atlas track it looks like and all switches and crossings have insulated frogs. That greatly simplifies wiring. I know it looks confusing, but the Atlas selectors would handle this just like they would in your engine terminal. The Atlas system is a versatile, well thought out system of components that have stood the test of time. They are pretty simple to wire as you have found. The most confusing part is figuring out where to put the insulators in the track. I've used them on most of my layouts for over 40 years. That includes the current one with DCC.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 15 2022 :  10:36:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
You are using Atlas track it looks like and all switches and crossings have insulated frogs. That greatly simplifies wiring. I know it looks confusing, but the Atlas selectors would handle this just like they would in your engine terminal. The Atlas system is a versatile, well thought out system of components that have stood the test of time. They are pretty simple to wire as you have found. The most confusing part is figuring out where to put the insulators in the track. I've used them on most of my layouts for over 40 years. That includes the current one with DCC.

Originally posted by jward-June 15 2022: 12:34:26 AM

Yeah, I'm quite satisfied with how well the selectors work for controlling locomotives entering and exiting the engine yard.

3 HO-Scale Ephrata Valley Railroad (EVRR) freight trains run at the same time on my L-shaped layout. Locomotives featured: 4-6-2 Pacific steam locomotive #56, GP30 #1425, RF-16A Sharknose #207, F9 B-unit #219B, and GP9 #234. The EV Diesel Fuel tanker car also makes an appearance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1b_icUiqPg

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 06 2022 :  9:23:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
My Ephrata Valley RR layout now has a tunnel! I spent some time on July 4th creating a mountain tunnel out of 1 sheet of 3/4inch foam board - it took me 6+ hours to cut, glue, carve, and paint the mountain/tunnels. Later I realized the inside of the tunnels were too hollow, so I cut, carved, and painted 2 smaller pieces of foam to fill the gaps, and the results speak for themselves. I still have some scenery work to do, but "Mount Flat Top" looks awesome on the layout and even a Rivarossi GG1 with pantagraphs raised can fit thru it!

Now, I do realize that this mountain does not greatly resemble the Appalachian or Allegheny mountains seen here in PA, in fact it looks more like something that would be seen in the Rocky Mountains. But, considering the EV is fictitious, Mount Flat Top fits right in. In truth, I was inspired by others layouts with rough/rocky mountain scenery and tunnels, and found carving the foam to be quite fun.

Edited by - RP model railroads on July 06 2022 9:24:36 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 06 2022 :  10:31:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Interesting concept Robert. Thanks for the update.

C P L
Switcher

Posted - July 07 2022 :  01:41:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add C P L to Buddylist
Awesome work. I steal immediately your idea !
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 70  ~  Member Since: June 14 2022  ~  Last Visit: July 08 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - July 07 2022 :  2:15:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
There exists a tunnel quite simi,ar to this not too far from Ephrata.

https://bridgehunter.com/pa/lancaster/point-rock-tunnel/

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 07 2022 :  8:59:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank You, all

Jward - Wow! Thanks! I had no clue that even existed, but Mount Flat Top does greatly resemble it. There truly is a prototype for everything.

C P L
Switcher

Posted - July 08 2022 :  05:30:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add C P L to Buddylist
What do you use as a "green carpet" ?
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 70  ~  Member Since: June 14 2022  ~  Last Visit: July 08 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 08 2022 :  9:46:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
What do you use as a "green carpet" ?

Originally posted by C P L-July 08 2022: 05:30:45 AM

The green carpet I bought at Lowes, in the fabric/rug area

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 09 2022 :  6:46:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very good.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 09 2022 :  11:39:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
My Ephrata Valley RR layout now has a tunnel! ...

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 06 2022 :  9:23:33 PM

The tunnels and mountain look great! I like how they turned out.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 10 2022 :  9:47:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you, all!

An improvement: I realized the tunnel openings were carved a bit too large (even for a GG1!) so I measured how much lower I could make the openings, and then cut, carved, and painted small pieces of foam to fit as best as possible.

After that, Mount Flat Top got a scenic transformation - I glued different shades of green clump foliage to the sides of the mountain to resemble foliage growing between/out of the rocks. I also glued some green coarse turf foliage to the top, to resemble grass/greenery growth. I'm satisfied with the rocky sides of Mount Flat Top, but the top may get more scenery in the future.

I also cut and screwed a small piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the underside of the table, so that I could place the powerpack on the "shelf" in order to use the corner for the 4th and final station on the layout.

Longvallon
Switcher

A02

Posted - July 11 2022 :  02:23:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Longvallon to Buddylist
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 6  ~  Member Since: July 09 2022  ~  Last Visit: July 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 11 2022 :  07:59:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The vegetation takes it to the next level. Lifeless mountains are rare, anywhere and probably non-existent in Pennsylvania.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 11 2022 :  6:49:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
The vegetation takes it to the next level. Lifeless mountains are rare, anywhere and probably non-existent in Pennsylvania.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - July 11 2022 :  07:59:21 AM

You have not been to El Paso. The scorching sun burns off all but the hardiest scragglebush. Nevada is worse.

Camelback Mountains in Phoenix completely denuded.

What yer doing there RP is terrific! Looks really Old School! Lovin' it!!!

The three red derricks in the corner look amazing, too.

Edited by - Chops124 on July 11 2022 11:32:58 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 11 2022 :  9:45:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys! I wanted to make sure foliage on the sides of the mountain would look realistic, but not where it would cover the rocky face of Mount Flat Top, and I think I accomplished that.

What I didn't realize is that I unintentionally spelled a word "East" and a number "2" on the one side of the mountain....this is crazy.

Longvallon RR
Switcher

Posted - July 14 2022 :  04:08:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Longvallon RR to Buddylist
Great work. Very impressive.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 32  ~  Member Since: July 11 2022  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 19 2022 :  10:02:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Great work. Very impressive.

Originally posted by Longvallon RR-July 14 2022: 04:08:15 AM

Thank You!

Here's a video compilation of photos of Mount Flat Top, as well as a few short clips of EV trains running thru and around it.

Fir trees are sprouting

Edited by - RP model railroads on July 19 2022 10:04:12 PM

Longvallon RR
Switcher

Posted - July 20 2022 :  01:31:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Longvallon RR to Buddylist
Wonderful ! Thanks for posting.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 32  ~  Member Since: July 11 2022  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 20 2022 :  7:58:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
You've really been going at it. Not the Plywood Pacific.
Carpe Manana!

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - July 20 2022 :  8:24:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Looks good, RP. I think a couple golfers on top of the mountain would look nice.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 20 2022 :  9:34:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

Golfers - good suggestion.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 26 2022 :  10:17:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I built more autumn trees out of Woodland Scenics tree armatures and lichen, to match the others that were a big part of the scenery on the old 4x4 layout and now still make a great scene on the new layout. I placed 2 outside openings to the Mount Flat Top tunnels, and sprinkled some orange coarse turf on the ground.

I added a bunch of trees to this area, transforming the scene into a crisp fall setting right beside the new "Skippack Station" and water tower.

The perfect place to store/display an EV wreck crane when a train is not running between both layouts.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 26 2022 :  10:44:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Those trees help a lot, both in blending the mountain into its surroundings and in making the line less stark between the scenery and the backdrop.
Carpe Manana!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 27 2022 :  9:40:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Those trees help a lot, both in blending the mountain into its surroundings and in making the line less stark between the scenery and the backdrop.

Originally posted by scsshaggy-July 26 2022: 10:44:27 PM

Thank you, shaggy.

I do plan on eventually adding mountains to the backdrop somehow (either painted or an actual printed backdrop) in the future, so that Mount Flat Top doesn't just look like a huge rock that appeared out of nowhere.

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - July 27 2022 :  10:21:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
Coming up I have plans to help build up a really nice backdrop for the entire EV layout. I plan on doing a mountain range and a massive coal mine along one wall, a country/city scape/oil company along another. It's kind of sounding like a good winter project however, as it's already over halfway through the summer, and I need to make the most of my spray-painting season.
Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 29 2022 :  11:06:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow! Half way through winter? Endless summer, so it seems in
the desert Southwest. Hens are laying hard boiled eggs.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 16 2022 :  10:24:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Lots of progress has been made on my Ephrata Valley Railroad layout recently, aside from the latest additions Aaron and I have been working on. For starters, I finally wired up the DPDT switch according to Shaggy's suggestion, which was an utter success. Now both the "mainline" 4x8 powerpack and 4x4 powerpack are electrically independent of one another, and I can switch between either pack.

Wires have been neatly tucked under the layout

Also, my MRC Tech 2 powerpack kept having issues, so I decided to switch to all older MRC RailLine 370 powerpacks. On the OG 4x4 layout, I had 2 RailLine 370 powerpacks for at least 2 years plus, with no issues, until the one finally gave up the ghost (keep in mind these powerpacks are easily 40+ years old.) The other one, however, is still working, and has been powering the inner line on the 4x8 section of the EVRR for a while now.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 06 2022 :  10:40:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiLC3mX6mQ0&t=2s

Previous Topic: Queens County Model Railroad Club Topic Next Topic: Action on the famous Longvallon RR  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000