Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 2-8-0 Chattanooga choo choo truck conical spring
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco power torque motor gears Topic Next Topic: Tyco 933 Piggyback loader and loader set restorati  

Kaptkaos
Switcher

AustrailaWesternAvatar

Posted - May 09 2022 :  7:48:28 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Kaptkaos to Buddylist
I am new here and am trying to get a replacement conical spring for the front truck on the 1975 Tyco Chattanooga Choo Choo. I have found a couple of sellers on eBay who sell Tyco train parts and I can get a replacement truck easy enough but the conical spring needs the part number to get the correct one. I need the part number for the Chinese made one as there are 7 types of conical springs due to having multiple owners of Tyco. Does anyone still have the manual that shows the part numbers or can give me the part number. No matter if I gave the measurements to the seller (as I have 2 of these engines and am waiting for a third to show up as well as debating if I should by a lot of 2 more engines) he insists on needing the part number. One or two of the engines I have and are looking at have the from truck missing but the others still have them. Also can you get replacement arms (don't know what they are called) that connect all the drive wheels to the steam cylinder? If I can then I will definitely get the two engines I am watching.

Regards Martin.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 6  ~  Member Since: May 09 2022  ~  Last Visit: June 15 2022 Alert Moderator 

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - May 10 2022 :  5:50:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
I wish I could help you, Martin, but my Tyco/Mantua parts catalog is for 1961 and wouldn't do any good for a 1975 product. Good luck finding the part.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 10 2022 :  9:50:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I forget what they were called, but the very of the very first logging caterpillar tractors, it was
said that if a man owned three, he might hope to keep one in functioning order. Sounds like
a similar situation- you will need a small scrap yard of Chatanoogas, conceivably the worst toy
steam locomotive ever mass produced, to keep your others functioning. Then again, as awful as
it was, it enjoys a strong following to this day.

If it really is an ambition, then I would make it habit to comb model train meets and buy every
junked one I could find, at fifty percent of the ask.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - May 11 2022 :  10:25:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Just wondering if you need the actual replacement spring? Would not any light pressure spring with enough resistance to keep the pilot on the rails work well enough?

I am sure as kids we used modified pen springs in cases where we felt the supplied spring did not keep the pilot on the tracks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 11 2022 :  10:37:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I don't know the part numbers, but I have a for-parts Tyco Chattanooga 2-8-0 that has the front truck with the spring, and rod assembly intact (I think it's just missing the steps for the pilot/cowcatcher.)

I will post pictures of said locomotive later.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/

Edited by - RP model railroads on May 12 2022 10:11:21 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 14 2022 :  6:08:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

This is what I was trying to remember: the Lombard Steam Tractor, of which it was said "if a man had three he might hope to keep one running at any given time." Looks like RP may have come to your aid, hope it works out.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - May 14 2022 :  8:12:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Have you tried running the engine without the spring? I have a Mantua Mikado with a very similar pilot truck that I run without the spring and the absence has yet to cause any problem.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Kaptkaos
Switcher

AustrailaWesternAvatar

Posted - May 15 2022 :  9:56:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Kaptkaos to Buddylist
Thanks RP and I'm sorry for taking so long to answer every one. Believe it or not I checked on ebay again and found a frame with the wheels and rod assembly so have purchased that. As for the two sellers in the US that I was getting parts from both are related to each other and US veterans, the one selling the truck does not post to Australia so I am giving up on getting the truck from him but now the other one is no longer going to post to Australia as he gets to many complaints about postage costs and yes even I complained about having to pay $80 to $90 US dollars for something that could be posted in a envelope as far as I was concerned. So I have bought a few of the motor gears from him and what I am going to do is make a mold of them and try casting them in tin and resin to see how they go. I have also found a seller in Australia who sells traction tires and brushes for the Chattanooga so I'm now good there hopefully. As for the motors them selves I have looked into how to rewind them should they burn out so again hopefully all is going to be good there as well. I have managed to get one front truck replacement but as for the spring I may look at seeing if I can get a spring manufacturer here to look at making some for me. I don't care if I have to buy 50 or 100 of them in one go. As for your parts Chattanooga RP I would love to buy it from you for parts possibly as it looks good in the pics you posted. I will try and contact you through one of your links.
Regards Martin.
P.S. I just tried to see if I could contact you but I had no luck so my e-mail addy is no1kaptkaos@gmail.com

quote:
I don't know the part numbers, but I have a for-parts Tyco Chattanooga 2-8-0 that has the front truck with the spring, and rod assembly intact (I think it's just missing the steps for the pilot/cowcatcher.)

I will post pictures of said locomotive later.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - May 11 2022 :  10:37:40 PM

Edited by - Kaptkaos on May 15 2022 10:11:30 PM
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 6  ~  Member Since: May 09 2022  ~  Last Visit: June 15 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 15 2022 :  11:22:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
No problem - I just sent an email to you.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco power torque motor gears Topic Next Topic: Tyco 933 Piggyback loader and loader set restorati  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000