Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Code 83 track
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mother''s Day Topic Next Topic: pennsy power and light  

Ole Bandit
Switcher

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - May 04 2022 :  06:13:21 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Ole Bandit to Buddylist
Hello Happy Fellow Members !
Can I run plastic wheeled Tyco cars on code 83 track without any problem ?
Thanks for your help.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 24  ~  Member Since: April 30 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 09 2022 Alert Moderator 

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - May 04 2022 :  07:58:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Older "pizza cutter" deep flanges will bounce on the ties and do odd things running through turnout frogs. You can switch out the original wheelsets with modern RP25 depth flanges for better operation.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ole Bandit
Switcher

Posted - May 04 2022 :  08:37:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ole Bandit to Buddylist
Ok. But what diameter ? 33" or 36" ?
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 24  ~  Member Since: April 30 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 09 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - May 04 2022 :  09:01:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
General rule of thumb is 33" for freight cars and 36" for passenger cars.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ole Bandit
Switcher

Posted - May 05 2022 :  09:35:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ole Bandit to Buddylist
OK. Thanks.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 24  ~  Member Since: April 30 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 09 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 05 2022 :  11:57:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Not be contrarian, but I built a small layout using Atlas Code 83 rail
a few years ago, why is another story, but I did. I ran Tyco on it
all day long, turnouts, too, without any issue.

I have a box of Atlas Tru Track, Code 83, with turnouts, haven't got around
to trying to move it on eBay yet. $15 plus shipping if you want it.

I think you are using Trix right now, yes? How is that working out? I thought Trix went away with the Stone Age, but I am told otherwise.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ole Bandit
Switcher

Posted - May 06 2022 :  06:10:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ole Bandit to Buddylist
Thanks a lot for your reply.
quote:
I think you are using Trix right now, yes? How is that working out?
Originally posted by Chops124 - May 05 2022 :  11:57:06 PM
I use the Trix C (code 83) track but I never tried plastic wheeled rolling stock on it.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - May 06 2022 :  3:48:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:

I have a box of Atlas Tru Track, Code 83, with turnouts, haven't got around
to trying to move it on eBay yet. $15 plus shipping if you want it.

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 05 2022 :  11:57:06 PM

Just wondering why you are getting rid of the TruTrack and going with EZ track? TO me, TruTRack has a huge advantage in the replaceable switch motors. You can easily change them out without disturbuing your track. EZ track motors are buried under the roadbed and Bachmann does not make replacement parts available to the public. That means if you burn out a switch motor, you have to replace the whole switch, or live with manual operation. I've burnt out enough switch motors over the years that I know that's not good.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - May 06 2022 :  5:44:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
As for the original question. I have run my Tyco C430s on my dad's layout, where I had trackage rights in exchange for help handlaying track. The railroad was, and is code 83 on the main and code 70 in the yards and sidings. I never experiences derailments of these units on the small rail, and I spent alot of time in the sidings awaiting opposing trains on a single track railroad. Any problems I experienced were due to the traction tires more than anything else.
  Previous Topic: Mother''s Day Topic Next Topic: pennsy power and light  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000