Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Mantua Locomotive Serial Numbers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Water-Damaged Mantua 2-8-4 Berkshire Restoration Topic Next Topic: Mantua 0-10-0  

Guidostrains
Switcher

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - April 17 2022 :  10:27:21 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Guidostrains to Buddylist
Many years ago I picked up a Mantua Mikado from the 1950s ( ? ). The warranty card had a serial number for this engine. The number was also printed on the inside of the box cover. I cannot find this number on the engine. Did Mantua put serial numbers on their engines and where? Or is this the wrong engine in this box?

Note the number at the lower right( 10156 ).

The engine has all metal parts, including the cab and the pilot. The tender is a much newer item.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 25  ~  Member Since: April 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: October 04 2022 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 17 2022 :  10:34:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Check on the bottom plate of the Mikado, the one that covers up the driver wheels...I know that's where the "Mantua" name is usually stamped, but am not sure if serial numbers were stamped there on certain models or not.

However, since your Mikado has all metal parts (that includes the pilot/cowcatcher and cab) and there is a slight difference in the rods, that characterizes it as a Mantua Mikado from the 50's, so I'd say it's the right locomotive.

You said the tender you have was a much newer one - in the 50's, the tenders were also solid diecast, I believe.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 17 2022 :  11:24:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Major cool, Guids. A beautiful piece manufactured when the prototype was still
blowing smoke and the flags were flying.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - April 18 2022 :  1:28:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Guidos,

You've got a nice looking engine and box.

I don't have any engine kits from that era, so don't know if any of the parts would have the serial number stamped on the inside. You'd have to take the engine apart to find out and I don't know if it is worth the effort.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - April 18 2022 :  6:42:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
These have always been relatively inexpensive mass-produced model trains. Logic and a little common sense says that the type of kit may have a specific identifying number - for the catalog or in-house - but to assign an individual serial number for each locomotive would be extremely unlikely.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Guidostrains
Switcher

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - April 18 2022 :  7:18:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Guidostrains to Buddylist
RP - I checked but did not see any serial number there.

Crown Vic - I thought that too. But how would Mantua identify the engine if it did indeed need warranty work? Unless the owner sent in his part of the warranty card. . .
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 25  ~  Member Since: April 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: October 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 18 2022 :  8:55:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
RP - I checked but did not see any serial number there.

Crown Vic - I thought that too. But how would Mantua identify the engine if it did indeed need warranty work? Unless the owner sent in his part of the warranty card. . .

Originally posted by Guidostrains - April 18 2022 :  7:18:25 PM

I expect that Mantua was relying on the basic honesty of most people, trusting that the engine under warranty is the same one being repaired. At least they know you own an engine under warranty.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Water-Damaged Mantua 2-8-4 Berkshire Restoration Topic Next Topic: Mantua 0-10-0  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000