Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 AHM Help
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco 933 Piggyback loader and loader set restorati Topic Next Topic: How does one lubricate this critter???  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 12 2022 :  2:19:25 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Confounded trying to get this shell off this Rivarossi E8. There is a plastic tab on the stern, check. Two long screws hold the shell to the chassis: got the rear screw out after some considerable effort. It was almost as if it was glued in, but probably not. The forward screw locked tight. It is a flat head. After many failed attempts using all sizes of screw driver, finally gave up and attempted to drill the thing out. Drilled off the head, and probably part of the stanchion, but it still won't budge!!

Any ideas? Right now a lobster cracker seems like a good idea.

The flat head screw on the bogie holds the pick ups together, does not mate with the chassis, that I can tell. Whole bogie started to come apart and I tightened it back up before it went to Heck. That screw is held in place by a bolt that cannot be reached if I can't get the shell off, anyways.

Why, you ask? Because the flaming thing has some internal intermittent short, and I need to see if it is an obvious fix or just needs to be binned.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator 

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - April 13 2022 :  12:29:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
The flat head screw on the front bogie does indeed connect the bogie to the chassis. It also conducts electricity to the chassis as well.

The shell, as you surmised, is held onto the chassis with two long screws. If you have removed those screws and the shell still doesn't come off, then I would assume the previous owned might have glued something(?). Hard to say. Proceed with patience and caution, see if you can determine exactly where the sticking point is. FWIW, the shell can be fairly secure with just one screw if you have to end up drilling out the entire stud.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - April 13 2022 :  12:31:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
PS - the internals of the front bogie is riveted together. It's pretty easy to drill those rivets out to access it, then replace with a pair of 2-56 screws and nuts to put it back together.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 13 2022 :  01:00:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
OK, thanks, will give it a whirl.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco 933 Piggyback loader and loader set restorati Topic Next Topic: How does one lubricate this critter???  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000