Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW March 13-19, 2022
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW March 27 to April 2, 2022 Topic Next Topic: LOTW March 20 to 26, 2022  

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - March 13 2022 :  9:57:20 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Here are two Tyco locos I recently acquired and worked on.

The first is an all-original MU-2 switcher. It runs nicely and pulls well.

I will post a video of it pulling an 8 or 9 car IHC Penn Central streamliner set.

And dyed in the wool Tyco fans may want to shield their eyes...

Here's an F unit that wanted to have an Athearn soul, so into the workshop it went for its transmigration.

Yep- that's an Athearn!

So I guess its technically a Tycathearn.

Its original MU-2 is waiting to power this curio found at a train show

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 13 2022 :  10:34:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
OOOOh, ahhhhhh, eeeeeeeee, WONDERFUL! Pray tell,
who made that splendid rail car???
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - March 14 2022 :  12:40:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Pretty sure it's an all-Varney Aerotrain that fell into the hands of a hot-rodder! As you can see I paid $6 for it. I call that money well spent! The front truck is an MU-2 but the back is a passenger truck but I'd like them to be paired. And of course in Jade Fog livery!šŸ˜œ
Edited by - el rojo grande on March 14 2022 09:18:59 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 14 2022 :  10:42:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
WKS gave me a Varney Aerotrain, but the head end has a squared off stern, not like the boat
tail on yours; maybe a bash?? The rear bogie looks fine to me, and congrats to whoever was
able to wedge and MU2 in there.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - March 14 2022 :  10:48:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
I will get some better shots of this thing. I think you are correct that the builder did add the Cadillac fins.

I just remember seeing this on a table and not milisecond passed till the wallet was emptying itself of money for it.

After I strip it back to the plastic I should find a shop to chrome it!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - March 14 2022 :  11:11:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 14 2022 :  11:44:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Sweeeet vid!!

Doing the Hustle with a vintage Hustler:

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 15 2022 :  04:42:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
My LOTW is a Mantua (or Tyco, although it says Mantua on the tender, it doesn't have brass bearings like the Mantuas seem to) Mikado painted in a Santa Fe livery. Just got it at a show recently for $40. Yes, she runs, and quite nicely at that, too, with just some basic maintenance thanks to the venerable Pittman style motor Mantua (and Tyco) supplied in a fair amount of their steamers. Gotta say, quite the looker this old girl is, and even the cowcatcher is intact still, despite how fragile those tend to be.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 15 2022 04:51:22 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 15 2022 :  11:27:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That Aerocar is something else! Looks really well done too! The PC Tyco pieces are always a classic.

Chops, how do you find the motor on that rubber-band drive? All my examples seem to run hot.

The steamer looks good!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 15 2022 :  11:33:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Runs hot as a fire cracker!

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 15 2022 :  11:42:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The handful I have with their original motors are the same. After they get too hot they lose a lot of torque and need a cool down. Probably weak magnets. I've found a drop of oil on the motor bearings helps a lot.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 15 2022 :  12:41:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I shall try that.

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - March 15 2022 :  8:53:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
Another new diesel for the EVRR. This unit is wearing a patched scheme from a factory order that didn't go through at Baldawin.

Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 16 2022 :  02:03:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Love those early diesel switchers.

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 16 2022 :  10:22:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
From the train show this past weekend, a Life-Like low nose GP38-2:

Nothing special in and of itself, but this one is special to me. Back when my wife and I were dating, she was trying to get something in particular for me for Christmas, but she couldnā€™t afford it, so she went to plan B, but couldnā€™t afford that either (I have no idea what those things were, and she doesnā€™t remember), so she settled on a Life-Like Burlington Northern train set as my main gift. Of course, the shape and size of a train set back then was unmistakable, so, genius that I was, I said something stupid like ā€œI know what that is!ā€ Given the circumstances, that went over really well, and of course I hurt her feelings.

Fast forward a few years, and I want toā€improveā€ the locomotiveā€™s drivetrain, so with her permission I begin to do that, but I ruin the wheels and never finish the job. And since Iā€™ve cut up the original plastic underframe, I canā€™t undo what Iā€™ve done. So now I have a special gift that I ruinedā€¦

But not anymore!!

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Edited by - gmoney on March 16 2022 10:33:32 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 17 2022 :  11:16:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by el rojo grandeĀ -Ā March 13 2022Ā :Ā  9:57:20 PM

It looks like one or more axels may be out of guage on that Athearn. Have you checked them to make sure they meet standards?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - March 17 2022 :  2:10:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
I'll have to do that Jward. I did have it running and had no issues with tracking but I do keep the Standards tool handy to make adjustments as necessary, but I hadn't looked at that on this loco yet. My shop foreman tips his hat to your suggestion!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 17 2022 :  9:12:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice back story, G. Your lady sounds like a special kind of gal.
I still got, and will always keep, that CR GP 38 you sold me
a while back. While cheap, these pieces are solid runners and
nicely finished.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 17 2022 :  10:40:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Got another new piece of motive power relating to the freight trains running through my area...

A Mantua Classics Conrail GP20! Of course I had to get this, since Conrail used to run the local freight trains here, until CSX bought out half of Conrail, including the lines in my area. I'm getting a set of replacement GP20 horns to replace that missing one, and of course I ordered a TCS T1 decoder to plug into the locomotive's socket for DCC operation!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 18 2022 :  12:11:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Gotta love a "can opener!"

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 18 2022 :  1:17:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
Gotta love a "can opener!"

Originally posted by Chops124Ā -Ā March 18 2022Ā :Ā  12:11:03 AM

I truly miss big blue. They sure knew how to run a railroad. Unlike the horse that now stumbles daily trying to run half the trains Conrail did.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 18 2022 :  3:22:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I corresponded for a while with an ex-Penn Central
engineer, who went to work for the PC right around
1970. In spite of several ensuing layoffs he was able
to put together a steady living, even piloting the
Turbo Train for a little while. He remarked that
he was fairly impressed with ConRail's efforts to
keep shippers happy, and felt his own efforts
were recognized (!), but the Norfolk Southern
acquisition was not a favorable experience and
in his words, they "undid a lot of progress."

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 20 2022 :  11:44:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:

I truly miss big blue. They sure knew how to run a railroad. Unlike the horse that now stumbles daily trying to run half the trains Conrail did.

Originally posted by jwardĀ -Ā March 18 2022Ā :Ā  1:17:06 PM

I'm glad that my area has the half of Conrail that CSX now owns, hence my layout having both CSX and Conrail locomotives. But I do remember how in my area, the Conrail freights often used GP38 and B23-7 diesels (the latter often having "Conrail Quality" markings), while all the CSX freight trains here use GP40-2s.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 22 2022 :  8:02:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:

I'm glad that my area has the half of Conrail that CSX now owns, hence my layout having both CSX and Conrail locomotives. But I do remember how in my area, the Conrail freights often used GP38 and B23-7 diesels (the latter often having "Conrail Quality" markings), while all the CSX freight trains here use GP40-2s.

Originally posted by wiley209Ā -Ā March 20 2022Ā :Ā  11:44:55 PM

Selkirk yard near Albany, where most of the trains in your neck of the woods either originated or changed crews, was home to most of the GE fleet under Penn Central and Conrail. The GP38s were scattered across the system so they were everywhere. I'm not surprised you saw what you did. ON my end of the system, Alco Centuries were common, but the GEs were relatively rare until the B36-7s arrived in 1983. Those quickly found a home on the hot mail trains and intermodals so they could be found everywhere those trains ran. Of course, the Dash 8s soon followed by the hundreds and suddenly GE power was everywhere.
  Previous Topic: LOTW March 27 to April 2, 2022 Topic Next Topic: LOTW March 20 to 26, 2022  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000