Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Globe F7 stalls on switches
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Athearn Rubber Band Drive Hustler Topic Next Topic: Athearn Alco FA  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 29 2021 :  02:01:22 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I just got a Globe F7 at a train show for $20 (with the original Globe drive and all that). She runs absolutely beautifully....Except that she stalls on almost all of my plastic frogs.Is that just how these things are? I've tried basically everything I can think of. Lubrication, wheel cleaning, cleaning the motor, cleaning contacts, etc. I've noticed that she'll only run if both trucks are connected to power unlike the later Athearn locos, which points towards it just being the way the loco is. Granted, she still goes through the plastic frogs on my layout (at higher speeds), but she still stutters when going over them at said speeds. Any advice, or is that just the way these old girls are, because I absolutely love it otherwise.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 29 2021 :  04:43:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
It's this mechanism, but with a powered truck on the backside also, if anyone is wondering (from HOseeker).

I'll try taking a second look tomorrow. Planning on checking the inside of the axle boxes for any grime that could be compromising electrical connectivity or something (they appeared to be alright, but still).

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on November 29 2021 04:47:20 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 29 2021 :  11:46:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
It sounds like one truck only picks up from the left rail and the other only picks up from the right. That wouldn't give you much electrical contact when the wheels of one truck are on the insulated frog. The diagram appears to show the wire from one truck going to one brush of the motor and the wire from the other truck going to the other brush. If that's so, it would seem to reaffirm that assumption.

If that's the case, and the insulated wheels are metal, not plastic, it may be possible to add pickup wipers to the insulated wheels for all-wheel pickup.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 29 2021 :  12:53:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I agree, sounds like only two wheels on each truck pick up power. Are the wheel flanges a little taller than on modern rolling stock? It could be that the flange is bottoming out on the frog and lifting the truck off the rail just enough to loose electrical contact. If you haven't already done it, clean and oil the surfaces where the axles transmit electricity to the truck frame.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 30 2021 :  3:56:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Alright, so I took the truck assembly and all that apart, and once everything was cleaned and I made sure the various parts in there were okay, it still stutters (although it doesn't stall as much) on the switches, leading me to believe that this is just how these things are. It looks like you can add extra pickups to this (all wheels are brass), so I might end up doing that, although the only problem with that is the potential for shorting.
-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Athearn Rubber Band Drive Hustler Topic Next Topic: Athearn Alco FA  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000