Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Varney Pre-war GG-1 (R1) Restoration
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Sakura HO Docksider Topic Next Topic: Fleischmann New York Central 0-8-0  

kenVR1
Switcher

Posted - November 15 2021 :  12:39:16 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kenVR1 to Buddylist
Hello all,

I am new here and this is my first post. I have been restoring a pre-war Varney GG-1 using all original parts (minus the brass chassis/truck mounts) and thought I'd share some pics here since there really isn't much info out there on this particular model. I've seen the post from 2007 (TOPIC_ID=2392) with the one shared by VintageHO but it was just a front/side profile shot. I was also able to source photos from the eBay auction mentioned in that same post, along with the thumbnail photo of the one shown on HOSeeker (pity that the actual image links no longer work). But other than those few photos, nothing else seems to exist.

I welcome any photos others have to share and if you have any questions please ask away.

The only thing I have left to do is to source some green Varney jewels for the side lights (just a personal addition since they are drilled out) and mount the couplers (sourced correct ones) (any mounting ideas). I also have pantographs that will fit but have not mounted them (afraid to drill the shell) It does run very well but it requires a track with a wide radius. I do have the photos in the Facebook Varney group, so some of you may have seen them before. Hope you enjoy them.

Cheers,
Ken

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5  ~  Member Since: November 15 2021  ~  Last Visit: March 07 2022 Alert Moderator 

kenVR1
Switcher

Posted - November 15 2021 :  12:52:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kenVR1 to Buddylist
In case you are interested, here is the shell and the cracked chassis it came with.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5  ~  Member Since: November 15 2021  ~  Last Visit: March 07 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 15 2021 :  8:48:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That old shorty GG1 looks awesome! Great restoration work!

Always great to see old model trains from the dawn of HO-Scale, come back to life.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 16 2021 :  01:32:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That is the most amazing rendition of a G I have ever seen. Pre-war, you say.
Which war was that, the Civil War?

In the 1930's, HO was roughly the equivalent of Z scale, unheard of and
those who dabbled in it had to be superb scratch builders.

Frank ("TopTrain") regular posts on his post WWII HO trains, when HO
was new and peculiar. We love his stuff.

Are you going to paint this gem, or leave it unfinished? Those couplers
are mad.

BTW, as you are new here, and welcome, you should know that this site
has a way of going off line every other week or so. If it does, it usually
returns by the following Sunday.

The reason, I am told, is that this site;s server has so many tens of
thousands of posts archived that it has the habit of overloading. I don't
know if that is why or not, but do expect outages. And thank you for
posting this amazing relic. Hope we get to see more!

Edited by - Chops124 on November 16 2021 01:37:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kenVR1
Switcher

Posted - November 16 2021 :  02:01:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kenVR1 to Buddylist
Thank you RP!

Chops, if you aren't familiar with this bad GG-1 rendition, check out the story from the Greenberg Varney guide. It's pretty interesting. Mine is from the late 30's early 40's.

I am planning on keeping it unpainted. I polished the aluminum a bit but not too much. I do still plan on adding the couplers (just trying to figure out the best way to mount them) and MAYBE the pantographs. I'm genuinely afraid of drilling the shell because of it's rarity.

Edited by - kenVR1 on November 16 2021 02:04:13 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5  ~  Member Since: November 15 2021  ~  Last Visit: March 07 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 16 2021 :  11:22:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey! I know!
go to a jeweler & see if they have those green jewels!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 17 2021 :  08:02:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Amazing. Pouring molten aluminum into a sand castting, no less.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Sakura HO Docksider Topic Next Topic: Fleischmann New York Central 0-8-0  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000