Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Video series:How to build a basic steam engine kit
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Varney Berkshire Kit Completed (C&NW + Weathered) Topic Next Topic: Restoring a Damaged Hallmark Brass ATSF 2-8-0!  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - November 15 2021 :  01:30:02 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
There are still a lot of unbuilt kits out there, and there may be some kit building newcomers who want to give one a try! Because of that, I thought I'd do a video series showing some good methods on how to do it.

Here's part 1, which shows how to build the chassis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlQn4IK6Dc

The kit is actually already finished (took me less than a week to complete), so I can just put up each video as I finish editing and processing.

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 15 2021 :  10:44:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
A good illustration of locomotive kit construction. Is the sequel with the valve gear made or yet to come?
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 16 2021 :  01:01:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very nice, Darth. First on my list of things to do would be
"get Darth's address and send it to him!"

I have been successful, however, at gluing my fingers
together with Super Glue. Acetone works wonders.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - November 16 2021 :  02:01:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Part 2 is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghqdcF9IY8

scsshaggy, the kit is already complete and filming is finished, so all I'm doing now is editing the videos and uploading each one as it's finished. 3 more to go!

Chops124, I am open to helping with a project when someone needs it (I actually finished an Arbour Models chassis for someone a few years back), but I'm also hoping these videos will help people to learn how to do it themselves and have some fun!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - November 17 2021 :  6:24:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
And now for part 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5Uak-eTZ4

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - November 18 2021 :  12:40:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Also managed to finish part 4 today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yri1yF-6R60

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - November 19 2021 :  12:15:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
And the final video's up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmG6euAhOdE

Not all of my techniques along the way were perfect, but I hope the series was helpful to anyone wanting to get started in kit building!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 20 2021 :  9:04:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
This is a good overall presentation of using one of these kits. I often find used stuff at the train shows on which it is evident that the previous owner did not go through the steps (like removing flash) to get this sort of result.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Varney Berkshire Kit Completed (C&NW + Weathered) Topic Next Topic: Restoring a Damaged Hallmark Brass ATSF 2-8-0!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000