Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Railroadiana
 East Broad Top Railroad
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Berkshire Scenic Railway Topic Next Topic: Ohio trains  

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 11 2021 :  11:59:45 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

A thread about a wonderful Pennsylvania treasure.
Start with its history before turning to a tourist attraction.

Over 100 years of history in central Pennsylvania for this railroad.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 12 2021 :  12:18:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I was there once back in 1995.

One of my friends from Queens was spending the weekend at the railroad.
He drove me from Altoona to Orbisonia and back. Only a few photos.
Most photos I took at Altoona and the Horseshoe Curve. Before digital cameras.
I do not drive so I took Amtrak to Altoona round trip from New York City.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 12 2021 :  12:32:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some internet videos from this weekend.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 12 2021 :  1:32:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A very interesting slate of videos, none of which I'd seen.
So many narrow gauge lines were built on the premise that
being half sized, it would be 50% cheaper to operate with
100% of the revenue. The economic reality was that these
custom made one offs cost 150% to make, and transloading
freight from narrow to standard for through freight was
hugely labor intensive and also caused a lot of damage claims.
Additionally, the light rail, frequently laid next to near level
water courses, were plagued by floods and ice flow damage.
Additionally, labor costs were not 50% of standard gauge, and
upkeep was just, if not more, expensive. Lastly, the Class Ones
at the time typically threw every roadblock they could at the
narrow gauge competitors, tying them up in court for years and
years over right of way issues, especially diamond level crossings,
forcing the narrow gauges to transload at great expense and
inconvenience to the shippers. How the EBT turned a nickel, I'd
love to find out.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 20 2023 :  10:37:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Steam engine is running again on the East Broad Top.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 20 2023 :  11:00:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Another cool internet video.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 21 2023 :  07:30:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Do not let the return of steam power blind you to the real news. The new owners are well along in their quest to restore the line to service, and in addition to the traditional tourist run north of Orbisonia, restoration efforts are well underway on the track to the south that hasn't been used since 1956. The plan is to restore service incrementally, to Three Springs, Saltillo and beyond. Restoration is also underway on a second steam locomotive. They have 6 and hope to eventually have them all under steam. 4 new passenger cars have been built that fit right in with the existing ones, one of which is wheelchair accessible (important to me because I have a handicapped wife who loves steam locomotives.)

They have also commissioned a study on what condition the two tunnels are in, and what it would take to restore them to service. It will be nice to ride the long out of service track when it opens.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - February 21 2023 :  10:39:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Great thread. Thanks for the update Jeff.
Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 21 2023 :  7:41:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I read about the restoration of track south of Orbisonia.
They had run speeder cars for years on a portion of the track.

With more money available they have ambitious plans for expansion of service beyond the 5 miles of operating trackage.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 21 2023 :  7:51:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

An old internet video from 2009 along a portion of the southern route.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 21 2023 :  8:18:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
They were offering speeder rides when I visited in 2006, but I didn't take one. In the video you can see the brush was cleared and the track made passable for a speeder car but nothing else. You can see a couple of spots where the ballast had washed away from under the track. These are the places with fresh limestone ballast instead of the cinders used elsewhere. You can also see places where the track had sunk into a mudhole. These soft spots would probably not hold the weight of a train.

Photos I have seen show the right of way stripped of all underbrush, track and ballast. The roadbed will be stabilized and compacted before new ties and rail will be laid in the roadbed and ballasted with fresh limestone. It is a ground up rebuild, and if the line north to Colgate Grove is any indication they will do a good job that will last for many years.

I'll try to find some photos online. Better yet, I plan to take the wifey out to see the railroad in action this year. Last time we visited, before she had her stroke but after it had shut down, we wandered the shop area looking at the locomotives in the roundhouse. Everything was locked up, and nobody was around.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 21 2023 :  8:26:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/east-broad-top-gets-1-1-million-from-state-for-restoring-track-other-projects/

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 23 2023 :  12:15:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

More internet videos.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 23 2023 :  3:15:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
They did a great job on the track. This is no longer the meandering 10mph railroad it was under the Kovalchicks. Those trains are MOVING! Wonder if the rest of the line will be rebuilt to 25mph standards?

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 14 2023 :  8:50:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Looks promising.

From April of this year.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 14 2023 :  8:57:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Repairs to the track south of Orbisonia continues.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 14 2023 :  9:03:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 15 2023 :  10:38:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"East Broad Top begins restoring main line south of Orbisonia.

About 8 miles of track closed since 1956 is being renewed.

By Dan Cupper on June 3 2022.

The long awaited restoration of the narrow gauge East Broad Top Railroad’s main line south.

Long dormant for nearly seven decades is under way.

A three-pronged approach involves EBT Foundation.
Also full-time staff and a volunteer track gang led by Gene Tucker of the Friends of the East Broad Top.
Also a crew working for G&H Anderson Excavating a local contractor.

Together they are hacking away at brush, clearing dumped garbage.
Many falling trees repairing or replacing culverts and draining standing pools of water.
Water that has soaked the roadbed since the last regular train left here in 1956.

All of this will lead up to installing fresh ties.
Re spiking much of the existing 85 pound rail.
A large percentage is in good condition.

Ditching the right of way and ballasting and surfacing the track structure.

The first goal is to reopen the eight mile stretch between EBT’s headquarters at Rockhill Furnace and Saltillo.

A former junction with EBT’s Narco Branch that once boasted a station water tank and wye.

Long-range EBT plans to reopen another twelve miles to the end of the line at Robertsdale and Woodvale.
Two company towns in the mountainous mining area that once supplied the semi bituminous loads for coal trains.

This is rugged territory with the line climbing 2.75% grades and traversing a horseshoe curve and two tunnels in need of significant work.

EBTF and the Friends are turning their attention to the more scenic southernmost part of the line.
The line penetrates the former deep mine region.

Looks very promising."

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - August 16 2023 :  06:19:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I am going on vacarion next week. I hope to visit the EBT and see how the track restoration is proceeding. I;m sure wifey will enjoy the ride. SHe always loves our trips to the mountains. I've heard they now have a wheelchair accessable coach.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 16 2023 :  06:55:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Have fun visiting there. Some track is in use for light equipment.

At Three Springs.

At Robertsdale.

Previous Topic: Berkshire Scenic Railway Topic Next Topic: Ohio trains  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000