Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Prototypes
 Mantua or Tyco Great Northern GP20 prototype.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Spotlight Caboose for sale on Ebay Topic Next Topic: Employee Interview posted  

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - June 26 2021 :  7:55:43 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
Here's a real deal Mantua Great Northern GP20.

(Image courtesy google)

Here's my recent acquisition. Here's my reasoning to think it's a prepod. The basic evidence is worth considering.

•The paint on it looks and feels like a Mantua or Tyco paint job. It is professionally airbrushed, and has the same texture and appearance my Great Northern F9. The color is lighter by a shade than the F9, but that isn't out of the ordinary. It came from texas, so it could have faded.

Here's where this may open some peepers.

• This thing has never had any numbering put on it. You'd think it would have some sort of noticable evidence that the paint or goat sticker existed.

•The fuel tank weight screws do not have any sign of ever having a screw placed in them.

•The underside is reasonably sprayed. It also features two bare spots that look to have been some sort of airbrush jig. THE EXACT SAME bare spots that appear on the inside of my later Mantua Santa Fe GP20.

•Finally, the paint scheme isn't perfect, it has some dings and dents. Most notably though, the paint scheme on it is almost exactly the same as the Factory unit shown above. However. It is skewed slightly towards the front. Prototypes were not known for perfection.

I personally want to say it's a prototype. Not necessarily an employee made example, rather more like Tyco's Rio Grande SD24, or half-finished units. It's part of a very limited sample batch, that likely only used in the research and design department at Mantua, or even late 70s Tyco. Who knows, but let me know what you think...

Aaron Anderson
Edited by - A-A-RON on June 26 2021 7:56:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 27 2021 :  9:05:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Based on the evidence and photos, I am also convinced that this is a prototype or unfinished GP20 shell. What a find!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco Spotlight Caboose for sale on Ebay Topic Next Topic: Employee Interview posted  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000