Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 I stripped my TYCO GG1 shell and found WHAT?!?!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: TYCO Southern RR 0-8-0 steam loco #27 Topic Next Topic: TYCO Delaware & Hudson (D&H) ALCO  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 04 2021 :  11:06:09 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
This is a very interesting Tyco discovery that has left me with many questions. Included photos of the "Olive-Green Tyco GG1" are credit to the original photographer.

Another theory is that the strange olive-colored paint poking thru the light-green film is a primer of some sort. Thoughts?

*Does anyone have any spare junk Tyco GG1 shells you'd like to donate/sell/trade to science?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKtKt1w3w6A&t=40s

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/

Edited by - RP model railroads on May 04 2021 11:06:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 01 2021 :  10:44:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Just wondering, does anyone have any insight into this? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone here ever stripped a Tyco GG1 shell before?

As far as tracking down this shell's origin, I remember I got this shell in a lot of train shells and parts from Chops, years ago. By chance, Chops, do you have any idea where you may have picked up this junk shell in the first place?

I sorted thru my parts cart tonight, and found the original weight that came with this GG1 shell, and below are photos of it.

I have since taken the tuscan-red painted plastic part off (unfortunately one of the tabs broke) and placed it in brake fluid to soak for 24 hours. I already have a theory as to what this weight cover will look like, which I'll explain in the future.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 16 2021 :  07:21:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Forgot to update this thread. So, the fuel tank weight cover soaked in brake fluid for 24 hours, and the final result was similar to that on the GG1 shell itself, which surprised me. I was sort of expecting the weight cover to be unpainted under the tuscan red layer.

The only real way to know for certain is to continue to strip shells and experiment. **I have stripped another Tyco GG1 shell, which was formerly a silver Pennsy, and it did not have this "green" layer underneath.**
If I find any other junk Tyco GG1 shells, they will be go to science.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 16 2021 :  12:35:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Lends creedence to the primer theory. Maybe another
random sample of any given Tyco shell donated to science
might reveal a green undercoat? My only problem with
the primer theory is cost. Tyco seems to have gone to
great lengths to avoid additional costs.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 16 2021 :  9:02:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Lends creedence to the primer theory. Maybe another
random sample of any given Tyco shell donated to science
might reveal a green undercoat? My only problem with
the primer theory is cost. Tyco seems to have gone to
great lengths to avoid additional costs.

Originally posted by Chops124-June 16 2021: 12:35:05 PM

Well, it leads me to more questions. The greenish hint matches the GG1 shell, but you can see that it is coated in the exact same way that the red is, including the one half of the inside that wasn't painted to begin with. If it was primer, one would think the whole piece would be primered, and not missing a coating on the inside in the exact same way that the tuscan red paint was. This leads me to a another theory that perhaps the brake fluid had a bad reaction to whatever is in the Tyco "tuscan red" paint, turning it lime-greenish - the olive-green areas being where the brake fluid hasn't completely stripped the color out of the red. This is again, another theory.

I do not believe Tyco used the same exact hint of tuscan red on anything else - even the PRR "tuscan red" F9's are browner in color than the GG1's. I would need to find junk "tuscan red" GG1 shells in order to continue experimenting. This is going to continue for a long time.

Tyco did not primer their shells, that I know of. I have stripped a few Tyco shells and none of them had any green layer underneath - not even another GG1.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 16 2021 :  11:57:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I like the brake fluid theory better, too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: TYCO Southern RR 0-8-0 steam loco #27 Topic Next Topic: TYCO Delaware & Hudson (D&H) ALCO  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000