Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Repairing and converting a Marklin to DC
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Max Gray UP FEF Restoration Topic Next Topic: Lo-nosed C630  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - April 23 2021 :  6:38:31 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
I've never gotten a Marklin product before since my layout's DC, but then after seeing one for a pretty good price, I thought, why not give a try at converting it to DC? A couple evenings of work later, and it turned out great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4xFc0XhVTE

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 23 2021 :  10:45:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Nice out of the box thinking. It took a bit of confidence to cut that core out of the field coil and replace it with magnets. Usually, getting those clearances around the armature right is pretty tough.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 24 2021 :  09:25:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
didn't Marklin use a 3rd rail?
well nails in the ties
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 24 2021 :  10:16:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
didn't Marklin use a 3rd rail?
well nails in the ties

Originally posted by microbusss - April 24 2021 :  09:25:45 AM

That thing to which he soldered the pickup wipers had once been the pickup from the center third rail. It looked a bit bent up, though.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 24 2021 :  11:55:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Now how do you insulate one side of all axels on the Locomotive and tender to stop shorting out the power pack.
toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - April 24 2021 :  12:51:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Thanks!

microbusss, the model does normally come with a large pickup shoe for the center contacts. It was missing from mine, but the spring was still there, so I flattened it out and soldered the new right rail pickup wipers to it.

toptrain, to prevent shorting and insulate the wheels, I reamed out the center hole with a round file before cleaning it out the rest of the way with a drill bit. Then I turned down pieces of plastic tube to fit in the larger hole and press onto the axle. This worked to insulate all wheels on one side. It takes some time and care to do it, but it's a lot cheaper than hunting down compatible insulated wheels.

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Edited by - Darth Santa Fe on April 24 2021 12:52:03 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - May 17 2021 :  11:52:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Great video, very interesting conversion. I would be very interested in seeing how you would turn down those huge flanges. I wouldn't consider turning down flange wheels without a lathe or machine tool. However I have heard of modelers simply attaching a wheel set to a drill chuck and turning down the flanges on a common file, but this technique sounds imprecise and risky.
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Max Gray UP FEF Restoration Topic Next Topic: Lo-nosed C630  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000