Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Max Gray UP FEF Restoration
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New C-430 Trucks Topic Next Topic: Repairing and converting a Marklin to DC  

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - April 13 2021 :  11:34:38 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Hello everyone.

I've finished my brass 4-8-4 that I've been working on the side here and there. One thing not shown here is that i replaced the original motor with a can motor. You can see that here: https://imgur.com/r2JqP8L

It's a KTM made Max Gray imported brass Union Pacific FEF locomotive.

The damage.

Destroyed pilot and bent front frame.

One of the first things I did was repaint the tender. The tender was missing several handrails so I remade them out of brass wire and soldered them into place.

Replaced the broken pilot with a brass FEF-1 pilot. I took the dummy coupler from the broken one and added it to this one. I also had to remake both front handrail sections.

I used epoxy to fill in the headlight and mars light. Painted and lettered boiler front. I chose UP 828 as the road number as 828 is my area code lol.

I used a soldering iron and pliers to bend everything back into shape.

Painted loco. Took me days to get all of the old paint off the boiler. I used citristrip and it turned the paint into literal tar. Also they aren't kidding about wearing latex gloves when you handle that stuff!

Weathered loco and tender.

Weathered loco and tender.

While the dent repair isnt 100% perfect I'm happy with the way it turned out.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 14 2021 :  05:47:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Nice restoration. The "before" pictures looked pretty discouraging.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 14 2021 :  10:02:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Amazing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 14 2021 :  4:33:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice work.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5776  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Top_Jimmy
Switcher

Posted - April 14 2021 :  4:33:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Top_Jimmy to Buddylist
Looks fabulous! Great work.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 15  ~  Member Since: April 04 2021  ~  Last Visit: August 06 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 14 2021 :  8:30:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome work!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - April 15 2021 :  10:09:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
fabulous work,a piece to be proud of
catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - April 16 2021 :  09:57:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Thanks for the kind words everyone. :)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 16 2021 :  12:32:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
from the damage I'd say it was in a crossing accident & later someone dropped a heavy I-beam on it
OR a rock hit the boiler going thru a canyon
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - May 17 2021 :  12:00:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
from the damage I'd say it was in a crossing accident & later someone dropped a heavy I-beam on it
OR a rock hit the boiler going thru a canyon

Originally posted by microbusss - April 16 2021 :  12:32:33 PM

I agree that the model before restoration looked like a realistic wreck, I wonder what happened to the model...
Any way great restoration work, I would love to see a video of that engine in operation!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 17 2021 :  8:12:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Is that thing not too heavy for the model rail??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: New C-430 Trucks Topic Next Topic: Repairing and converting a Marklin to DC  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000