Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 3 ]  [ Total: 3 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco UP Consolidation
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The two variants of the Great Northern C430 Topic Next Topic: New finds  

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - March 27 2021 :  10:52:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
Let's play America's Game!

Does This Tyco Piece Actually Exist?

So I'm really curious of this item displayed in the 1979 catalog. This is a Tyco Union Pacific Consolidation. My question is, did this ever get into production, and is just as rare as the Northern Pacific Sharknose? Or is Tyco Flim-flamming us again.

Has one ever shown up anywhere?

(Image courtesy brown box resource site/Tony Cook (?)]

Aaron Anderson
Edited by - A-A-RON on March 27 2021 11:02:10 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 28 2021 :  08:05:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The answer is - YES! The UP 2-8-0 is extremely rare, but it is out there. I haven't seen one yet though.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - March 28 2021 :  08:15:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
No, I'm guessing it is even rarer than the GN C430, or the NP sharknose. I personally want to think that this was only a prototype, but that's only because I've never actually seen this thing outside a catalog. But the fact that many, many Consolidations likely wound up in a garbage can due to the oh so popular tender drive powertorque may also increase the rarity.
Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 28 2021 :  3:25:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Sorry, but I bet A-Aron is right. RP, through sheer determination and ingenuity seems to coax a little life out of them.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 28 2021 :  8:15:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Sorry, but I bet A-Aron is right. RP, through sheer determination and ingenuity seems to coax a little life out of them.

Originally posted by Chops124-March 28 2021: 3:25:24 PM

Most likely, although I think rarity was probably due to a very short production run and limited availability at the time, less than motor reliability. Some Tyco freight cars are the same way....

PowerTorques really aren't bad motors, but it is a shame what poor quality can do to a great idea. Fixing the pinion gear issue is very simple, just some superglue on the drive shaft, and it will be good to go. But, as far as stopping them from burning up.....idk

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - March 28 2021 :  8:38:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
It's all in the lubrication process. I've been running them over a year and I still don't know the perfect balance.
Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 28 2021 :  8:43:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Pinion gear. Horrible.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 29 2021 :  06:39:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
It's all in the lubrication process. I've been running them over a year and I still don't know the perfect balance.

Originally posted by A-A-RON-March 28 2021: 8:38:39 PM

Yeah, too much and you risk the gear popping off. Too little, and the motor could burn up.

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - April 09 2021 :  1:43:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Yes, I'm pretty sure I have one. I think I got it about three or four years ago at a train show. I will have to dig out my consolidations and take a picture. In fact, I sent a picture to Howard before I purchase it to verify it was an original.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 09 2021 :  3:02:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
That would be awesome! You may have the prototype.
Aaron Anderson
  Previous Topic: The two variants of the Great Northern C430 Topic Next Topic: New finds  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000