Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 RP Works Custom Locomotives & Other Projects
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My finished F&C McKeen motor car Topic Next Topic: NJT E8  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 22 2021 :  10:31:59 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
This thread is dedicated to all of my custom locomotives, as well as any other train-related custom projects I've done. Enjoy the finished products of RP Works.

- TYCO New York Central ALCO C430

- ATHEARN Reading RR GP9 614

- TYCO Pennsylvania RR RF-16 Shark

- ATHEARN Conrail F9 "Legacy" pair

- IHC Ephrata Valley 2-6-0 Mogul #19 (I will be returning to this model in the near future, to detail it to better match my other custom Ephrata Valley steam locomotives.)

- MODEL POWER Monongahela Sharks

- MANTUA/TYCO Ephrata Valley 4-6-2 Pacific #56

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/

Edited by - RP model railroads on March 22 2021 10:34:34 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 23 2021 :  12:21:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The two "Cons" are just fabulous. Tyco did a NYC??? Wonders
never cease at the RP works!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 01 2021 :  9:16:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops! Sadly, Tyco never did make a NYC C430, which is why I had to make one, years ago.

The latest 2 custom locomotives I finished.....

Ephrata Valley RR Mantua diecast 0-4-0 tank engine #3

Ephrata Valley RR Mantua all-diecast 0-4-0 Shifter #21

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - April 02 2021 :  11:52:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Looking good! You are getting very good at making custom models!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 02 2021 :  9:11:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Looking good! You are getting very good at making custom models!

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd-April 02 2021: 11:52:18 AM

Thank You, Erik! Interestingly enough, although my first love was collecting old HO diesel locomotives, I am surprisingly better at customizing old HO steam locomotives.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 10 2021 :  9:34:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The latest steam locomotive has emerged from RP Works. Ephrata Valley RR 4-6-2 Pacific #55, aka "Double-Nickel." This is a Mantua 4-6-2 I customized a little bit on the front by installing 2 brass "flying" air pumps on the firebox front, and trimming off the rails that normally extend down to the cowcatcher. I am highly satisfied with this project, and am confident it will see much freight service, and eventually passenger service too, on the Ephrata Valley Railroad!!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 18 2021 :  8:00:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yet another steam locomotive has rolled out of the RP Works.....check out Ephrata Valley RR 2-8-0 Consolidation #25! Formerly a Tyco Chattanooga, this Consolidation runs great after a superglue repair to the pinion gear, and a tune up, and looks awesome!!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 01 2021 :  9:48:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ephrata Valley Railroad has a second Consolidation - #22 just rolled out of RP Works today!! This Tyco 2-8-0 had a hard life - got it in running shape with various broken parts in that for-parts-locomotive lot along with the GM&O GP20 a while ago, fixed it, and then painted it in a rather drab-looking red, yellow & black Chattanooga fantasy scheme. It then was a parts-donor to fix other Tyco Consolidations, until I finally decided to strip it and repaint/detail it in the same scheme as the other Ephrata Valley steamers. Still a lot of life in this 2-8-0!

Edited by - RP model railroads on May 01 2021 9:49:38 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 01 2021 :  11:38:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The EVRR line continues to expand!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 15 2021 :  10:33:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Finally finished repainting and detailing Ephrata Valley RR 2-6-0 Mogul #19 - to look more like my other custom steam locomotives - and it turned out great!!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 15 2021 :  10:46:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
EVRR is getting steamed up!

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 15 2021 :  11:47:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice, RP!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 16 2021 :  10:37:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 22 2021 :  10:31:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ephrata Valley RR 0-8-0 #102, a Rivarossi steam locomotive, is complete.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 23 2021 :  12:29:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Another steamer hits the rails at the EVRR.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 15 2021 :  9:20:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Indeed, Chops. Just today, RP Works cranked out another Mantua custom steam locomotive, 0-6-0 #20! This "Big Six" will serve the Ephrata Valley Railroad well, and will be the subject of many edited photos soon to come on my Instagram.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 20 2021 :  10:48:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
It has always been a dream of mine (well, since the Ephrata Valley RR officially got its first custom trains) to make a EVRR Mikado. I'm pleased to introduce the latest custom steam locomotive finished by RP Works, a Mantua 2-8-2 Mikado #46!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 19 2022 :  10:13:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I forgot to update this.

Ephrata Valley Mantua 4-6-2 Pacific #54 - passenger/express service

Ephrata Valley Mantua 2-8-4 Berkshire #60 - freight & passenger service

Ephrata Valley Mantua 2-10-0 Decapod #33 - huge thanks to Darth Santa Fe on converting a Mantua 2-8-2 chassis to a 2-10-0.

Edited by - RP model railroads on July 19 2022 10:25:08 PM

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 20 2022 :  5:12:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I really like the family look. Well done!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 20 2022 :  5:27:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice equipment.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 20 2022 :  9:32:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you both - I really appreciate it.

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - July 22 2022 :  9:02:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
I like what you've done.
Only suggestion would be to cut the axle stubs off the lead truck wheels, especially the pointy ones!
On the "Big Six"......I have one, Last new-from-the-hobby-shop engine I bought in Groton Conn while at Sub School in probably 1970. Still have it, on the shelf, until it gets shredded with the rest when I'm gone
Are the main rods stock or new fabrication?

BTW, have lots of "new" engines since then, in the box, some assembled..like a Mantua 4-6-2 kit I ran out of steam on. Have another non-Mantua new is it Mikado, RTR in the box (have to dig it out), and a single power PennLine T-1.

So much stuff. I even have Varney litho cardstock freight cars with boxes.
Those will be easy to get rid of.

At some point in life you see the end zone.
Been moving a lot o 2-rail 0 out. Mostly prewar.

Keeping the outdoor line running for now.
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 22 2022 :  10:28:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Only suggestion would be to cut the axle stubs off the lead truck wheels, especially the pointy ones!
Originally posted by ScaleCraft - July 22 2022 :  9:02:16 PM

If I may expand on that, I've done this, and the easy way is to nip them off with a heavy duty (hard enough) wire cutter to cut steel. Then, I have a piece of brass unrolled flat from a spent .22 caliber shell. It's got an axle sized hole drilled in it, and I put that over the face of the wheel with the nipped off axle end through the hole and file the axle end flat while the brass protects the wheel.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 22 2022 :  10:42:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
how about a boxcar with EV on it?
you know like how a mess of short lines made their own boxcars & sent them on the Mains to get rich from in the 70s & 80s?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 22 2022 :  11:27:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Good suggestion. Love to see photos of your T1.

The EVRR Big Six #20 has factory Mantua rods.

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - July 22 2022 :  11:30:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
Maybe it was the camera. They just looked fatter rods than I remember!
The T-1 is a boxed kit. I can open the lid, but all the parts are in little boxes carefully placed!
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: My finished F&C McKeen motor car Topic Next Topic: NJT E8  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000