Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Looking for any info on Tyco Pacific Crescent 212F
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: DCC TYCO Santa Fe 5628 GP20! Topic Next Topic: THE TYCO MASK DIESEL SWITCHER  

captainsimos
Switcher

TexasPacificAvatar

Posted - January 15 2021 :  9:23:24 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add captainsimos to Buddylist
Found one at an estate sale and trying to find any information on it, like when it was introduced, was it popular, why does it run slow and how can I fix it.
Thanks for the help
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: January 15 2021  ~  Last Visit: January 19 2021 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 15 2021 :  10:27:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Someone gotta know. Sounds pretty rare. If it’s tender drive, that’s something I’d pass on,
As that was kind of jenky. If it’s like their rugged Pacific, that’s a motor in boiler drive and @ good deal.

I bumped a thread regarding a Mantua Pacif Crescent, look under LOTW and scroll down.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18542

Edited by - Chops124 on January 16 2021 04:31:20 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 15 2021 :  10:34:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I don't know how slow you mean, but pictures I've seen of that engine had it with the small motor with the worm mounted right on the motor shaft. If so, that's not a real slow drive. It might need cleaning and lubrication.

If it has a bigger open frame motor back in the firebox and cab connected by flexible tubing to a gearbox, that's the "Power Drive" version and those are kind of slow by design but loaded with torque.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 16 2021 :  6:21:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
A couple more things occur to me. Being more than average collectible, it may have been a shelf queen so there might be some hardened grease in the gears and driver bearings. If so, that would slow it down. Cleaning that out and putting new grease in would loosen it up.

The other thing is the motor magnet. If it's weak, that would make the motor run faster when not under load, but if it was weak enough, it might run slower under load. That would make it run hot. If everything moves freely, and the motor heats up excessively, see if the magnet seems kind of wimpy. It can be replaced by a neodymium magnet.

I usually use a 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/4" magnet with the poles through a 1/2" dimension. The poles have to be vertical in the motor, not turned sideways. If the motor runs backward, flip the magnet end for end. These magnets can be put in and taken out, but the original magnet will be weakened by removing it from the motor, so only take the old one out if you're sure you plan to replace it.

Here's a source: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 17 2021 :  12:05:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
To my knowledge, three versions of the Tyco/Mantua 4-6-2 Crescent were produced.

The first is the early/mid 60s version, this was a dark green variety. Cab #1396 (as it was for all of these models). These were paired with the Southern "Crescent" passenger coaches. These locos are pretty rare, most go for at least $100 if not much more.

The second is the brown box era (70s) version with the green pilot. By this time, the passenger coaches were no longer offered, and these were typically sold as locomotive only ie not in a train set.

The third is very similar to the second version except that it was a black pilot. These were also carried on to Mantua's line in the 80s and 90s. Both versions are fairly common and normally go for around $30 - $80.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

captainsimos
Switcher

TexasPacificAvatar

Posted - January 17 2021 :  09:27:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add captainsimos to Buddylist
Thanks to everyone that replied. The train I have is green with a tender and is in the Brown Tyco Box. I think this train has been in storage for years and that is why it doesn't run well. Not sure I feel comfortable taking in apart, I haven't had much luck doing that in the past.
Stay Safe and Well

George Andis
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: January 15 2021  ~  Last Visit: January 19 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

captainsimos
Switcher

TexasPacificAvatar

Posted - January 17 2021 :  09:43:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add captainsimos to Buddylist
Finally figured out how to add a photo, hope this helps with the ID

George Andis
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: January 15 2021  ~  Last Visit: January 19 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 18 2021 :  01:09:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Yep, that would be the second version (with the green pilot)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: DCC TYCO Santa Fe 5628 GP20! Topic Next Topic: THE TYCO MASK DIESEL SWITCHER  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000