Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Coupler conversion
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 2020 Christmas layout Topic Next Topic: A guide to Extensive Powertorque cleaning  

Patt68
Switcher

Posted - December 31 2020 :  12:15:07 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Patt68 to Buddylist
Does anyone have or know where to get any of the discontinued Life Like knuckle couplers #433-1436? I want to do a simple conversion to my Tyco rolling stock. I would love to get ahold of about 40 to 50 couplers if possible.

Thanks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 13  ~  Member Since: November 10 2009  ~  Last Visit: September 08 2022 Alert Moderator 

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - January 03 2021 :  4:11:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I don't
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Heihachi_73
Switcher

Posted - January 05 2021 :  11:08:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Heihachi_73 to Buddylist
If you're planning on using the original trucks without cutting off the couplers, is it worth trying a Kadee #212 talgo adapter? It might be more expensive than the Life-Like knuckles but if you can find Bachmann E-Z Mate couplers in bulk it might bring the cost down a bit compared to buying Kadees.

Just make sure that they are the E-Z Mate Mark II couplers, as the first E-Z Mates had a plastic leaf spring which is sometimes a bit weak and doesn't keep the knuckle closed, causing cars to uncouple. The Mark IIs have a coil spring just like a Kadee and don't have this problem.

I haven't experienced Life-Like knuckle couplers before so I can't say whether a #212 and accompanying coupler will line up perfectly with another car fitted with Life-Like knuckles or not, or if you need offset shank couplers. All of my converted cars have body mounted couplers, I cut off the talgo couplers and screw a #5 box straight to the underframe.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: April 29 2016  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Patt68
Switcher

Posted - January 08 2021 :  10:28:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Patt68 to Buddylist
Thank for the info. I bought a pack of Kadees so I'm going to try those.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 13  ~  Member Since: November 10 2009  ~  Last Visit: September 08 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 2020 Christmas layout Topic Next Topic: A guide to Extensive Powertorque cleaning  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000