Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 my old layouts
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Day, New Trouble: Armodilloville Topic Next Topic: My attic layout.  

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 27 2020 :  01:57:47 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Seeing as how my layout is still in storage (but soon to be set back up!), I figured I would share some photos of my earlier works, as my layouts have evolved a lot over the years!
So here we go in the trip down memory lane:

I'll start here with my first "real" layout, a 4x8 which I constructed ~10 years ago. I never got very far on this project as I was experimenting with a lot of different techniques and ended up scrapping the project, but I did get to complete a few scenes (forgive me for the subpar photography, the camera I had at the time was from the 90s)

Here was the original town and station area. This layout primarily used old brass track from the 60s and 70s, and I had many issues with electrical pickup which added to the frustration

A small farm scene. I have the barn and the farmer to this day.

A campground scene. I have always been an outdoor guy and have loved camping, so in pretty much all of my layouts, you'll see some sort of camp scene
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On to my second layout, from around eight years ago or so:

My second layout I more or less "finished", in other words, I had it for a year or so then got bored with it and felt like it was a bit crude As my hobby skills improved, so did my layouts. This layout used primarily Life Like's "powerloc" track, as I had tons of it from my childhood LL sets.

A recurring theme you'll notice in my layouts is the "city & country", there's some town/city sections, and others are primarily "country-esque". I do this because I have had the opportunity of living in both types of enviornments.

The downtown area of this former layout. One thing I regret is no longer having all of the buildings and accessories I used to have on my old layouts. Pretty much all of the buildings in these former layouts have been lost, used for parts, sold, or just lost in the sands of time.

A shot of the residential section, note the "city airport"

Here is a neat building that was LL's "rural home" kit. It featured that little satellite dish you see in the foreground. Unfortunately I no longer have this one

The campground makes an appearance!

And so does the farm!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the next project I had. I believe this one is about seven years old or so.

The fully elevated oval makes it's first appearance on the once again revamped 4x8

A shot of the downtown area

Here is a really neat building I wish I still had. LL's "sparkle car wash kit"

A shot of the main road

And of course, the farm and campground make their appearances once again
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next redo of the 4x8 from about five or so years ago:

This one was also primarily unfinished, much like the first one. The city & country theme continues as well. Also, things noticeably get more "Tyco", as this layout began to feature more and more Tyco accessories and such and you will see.

Another view of the new and improved downtown area

And of course, the 1950s plasticville barn once again makes an appearance

This was also the first layout where I experimented more with spurs and sidings

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And with that, we come to my fifth and current layout, which started life as a 4x12 and continually expanded. This one began in around late 2016 or so.

Fortunately, I was able to preserve and store this one. So instead of tearing down and rebuilding once again, I can pick up right where I left off.

Edited by - RealBnsfIA on December 27 2020 02:02:50 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 27 2020 :  09:05:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Amazing layouts! So awesome to see what you accomplished in the past, and how you took ideas from your previous layouts to build your present layout.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 27 2020 :  3:49:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Thanks RP! Glad you enjoyed them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 27 2020 :  9:33:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, that's a big one! I don't ever remember seeing the earlier pics.
I like how you left large chunks of real estate aside for scenery, like
the camp ground. Haven't seen a camp ground modeled like that,
before. I imagine it was a place of pleasant and happy summer
memories.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 27 2020 :  10:27:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Thanks Jeff!
I don't think I ever posted photos of my early works as I wasn't yet a member of this forum (I joined in 2013 I believe), but yeah things and definitely changed a lot!
And yes the campground scene is one of my favorites to do, I was in scouts as a boy so camping is in my blood

Edited by - RealBnsfIA on December 28 2020 10:12:10 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - December 28 2020 :  09:40:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Very Nice layouts! they remind me a bit of my current one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 28 2020 :  10:12:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Thanks Eric! Glad you liked them

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - December 29 2020 :  09:49:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
It's nice seeing how your work grew and improved. It's good to document to be able to see how far you've come. I'm curious about that turntable, never seen one like that available.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 29 2020 :  11:11:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos. Always good to look back and compare.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 29 2020 :  3:08:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Thanks wks and Gary!

Gary - That turntable is Heljan #804, a manual turntable. It holds up to 14" locomotives so it's great for steamers!

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - December 30 2020 :  10:02:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks wks and Gary!

Gary - That turntable is Heljan #804, a manual turntable. It holds up to 14" locomotives so it's great for steamers!

Originally posted by RealBnsfIA - December 29 2020 :  3:08:12 PM

Got to find me one of those.

Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: New Day, New Trouble: Armodilloville Topic Next Topic: My attic layout.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000