Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Accessory of the week. (AOTW)
 AOTW December 6 to 12
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: AOTW December 20 to 26, 2020 Topic Next Topic: AOTW Nov. 29 - Dec. 5, 2020  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 06 2020 :  2:11:00 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Two additional great pieces out of the Andersonville Paint Shops- the flat and the trolley, the
latter about to be off loaded to begin revenue service in Greater Armodilloville.

The genius of the Andersonville Paint Shop output is that it is three dimensional folk art.

folk art. n. Art originating among the common people of a nation or region and usually reflecting their traditional culture, especially everyday or festive items produced or decorated by unschooled artists.

The artist of "Katy & the Big Snow" (Virginia Lee Burton) was clearly off the professional level. What Anderson Paint Shops has done is reach in and capture that slightly melted vision, objects that look so interesting one wants to bite them to see what flavor they are. Mark me up as a #1 Fan of Andersonville Paint Shops.

Why do model railheads do model railroading? Nostalgia is a common denominator. "Katy" was one of my very favorite books from childhood, indelibly, and pleasantly, imprinted on my mind. A few others- "Blueberries for Sal," and "Make Way for the Ducklings," as well as "Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel," capture an innocent and orderly time.

The level of intricacy of these vehicles requires multiple shots to capture the different angles and the multitude of funny and delightful additions. A big shout out to A-A-Ron.

One of the pleasures of Armodilloville is that so many different model railroad artists and collectors
have contributed to it. RP Model Railroads, who has done spectacular work with micro layouts and
pure Tyco collecting- beyond anyone I've ever heard or seen- provided many of the Hotwheels that
underwent a perfect transformation under the steady hand of A-A-Ron. The Hot Wheels were
great pieces in their own right, but A-A-Ron transformed them to the next level.

Likewise, the name "Armodilloville," and everything "Jade Fog" is the intellectual and creative
contribution of El Rojo Grande. Prior to "Armodilloville," I had
settled on the rather lame "Tycomania VII," or something, reflecting that this was the seventh
incarnation of the subscale Tyco layout. In actuallity, it might be XII by now, I simply have lost
track of the numerous times I pulled it all apart down to the legs and rebuilt it all over again.

Here are some more:

Have to confess, along with the street sweeper, this is one of my favorites among favorites.
I was employed as a garbage man for a period of time, while a resident of New Hampshire.
With a college degree. Made me realize how valuable a college degree might well be, if not
first carefully considered.

Addition of the new Armodilloville School Bus, #5. I was also a rural school bus driver for the
Whately-Sunderland, Massachusetts School District. It took years off my life, before I became
a college educated garbage truck driver. Go Armadillos!!!

Edited by - Chops124 on December 06 2020 8:24:50 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 07 2020 :  05:17:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
My AOTW is the Tyco cattle and horse sets.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - December 07 2020 :  09:39:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I need to get one of these with a Durango cattle car and then a Durango gp20 and then a Durango spotlight caboose!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 07 2020 :  09:47:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I need to get one of these with a Durango cattle car and then a Durango gp20 and then a Durango spotlight caboose!

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - December 07 2020 :  09:39:48 AM

HEY! you need the rare streamlined caboose too!

Also Virginia Lee Burton made Mike Mulligan & His Steam Shovel
A member made one in HO scale once

Also Choo Choo & Maybelle The Cable Car Do want!

Edited by - microbusss on December 07 2020 09:53:58 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - December 07 2020 :  10:18:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Read Mike Mulligan many a night to my sons before they got all grown up.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 07 2020 :  10:48:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Mike Mulligan... I remember reading that book!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - December 07 2020 :  10:55:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Very nice report. It's cool to see the camaraderie and the sharing of materiel and talents.

Now to further the tale of Armadilloville, Chops, did you know there is a 3-D printing company that specializes in HO scale wild animals?

Would you believe you can buy a whole fleet of armadillos?

They are not cheap, but what a hoot!

https://miniprints.ca/product/armadillos/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 07 2020 :  1:17:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
No Senior Grande, I was not aware, and again, you stoked my fevered imagination. I will most likely buy that set. Did anyone notice the tail of the giant armadillo in the trolley pic?

The backstory is that emissions from the Jade Fog factorium, and the nuclear power plant, which share a mysterious, covert, relationship have caused nearby vegetation to assume strange morphological changes, cowsto become two headed “chorses,” as well as a Minotaur. Some strange doings of unknown causality, unleashed upon the unsuspecting village resulted in clones of the extinct Wooly Mammoth and a (100% Tyco) T Rex, Jurassic Park style. Meanwhile, an escaped load of circus animals invaded the city hospital (in the style of Jujami ), while intrepid paleontologists dig up a pterodactyl. The giant armadillo is like a Spider Man, Peter Parker, mutation, having initially been subject to Jade Fog effluvia.

I have struggled to make my cattle pen to fit, but you have done it nicely, Walt. That accessory takes up a surprisingly big chunk of real estate.

Eric, got a PM 4 u.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 07 2020 :  1:13:01 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - December 07 2020 :  1:23:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - December 07 2020 :  10:48:36 AM

I remember the VHS tape of it. Particularly the three shovels singing in it

Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 08 2020 :  1:01:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - December 07 2020 :  10:48:36 AM

I remember the VHS tape of it. Particularly the three shovels singing in it

Originally posted by A-A-RON - December 07 2020 :  1:23:03 PM

well not to 1up you guys
but I have a old CD-Rom game of the book
I found it years ago at a truck stop

What you do is follow the book & every so often you played a game based on what Mike & Mary Ann did in the book

Uses Win 3.1 & 95
Dated 1996
So it won't work on Win 10

Edited by - microbusss on December 08 2020 1:02:08 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 09 2020 :  10:12:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Cool!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 09 2020 :  10:18:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
that's pretty neat
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 09 2020 :  11:19:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
anyway my AOTW is a box of parts I got Tuesday

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 09 2020 :  11:24:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I see a PINION GEAR! GIMMIES!
  Previous Topic: AOTW December 20 to 26, 2020 Topic Next Topic: AOTW Nov. 29 - Dec. 5, 2020  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000