Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Repainting 2 old Athearn F7 shells for CONRAIL
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Seperating glued parts Topic Next Topic: RP model railroads Sharknose airhorn project  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 29 2020 :  6:52:02 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
A gentleman where I work found out about my YouTube channel and interest in model trains, and began expounding to me his love of trains, particularly DCC, and asked if I'd be at all interested in some of his old DC stuff. I of course said yes, and bought a lot of stuff from him last week, which were mostly shells/dummies for-parts, but in the box I found these 2 customized Athearn F7A shells. What I liked most were 2 things: 1) nothing major was missing & 2) someone had installed fancy brass handrails around both shells. It appears one was supposed to be tuscan red, while the other was supposed to be brunswick green, but apparently, the project didn't get any further than that.

I then began brainstorming easy railroad schemes to paint these F7's in, and decided upon Conrail. More specifically, in painting 1 shell to be a plain black "CR" F7, and the other to be Conrail's only blue F7, "CR #1648."

So, I spray-painted the one shell black, and it turned out good! Then, I ran to my local Wal-Mart and picked out the best looking Rust-Oleum blue spray paint I could find, and returned to spray-paint the other shell, and I couldn't be more pleased with the color match - it almost looks identical to Conrail blue!

Next steps include installing horns and glass if I can find anything cheap. I'll then be applying decals (already ordered a $7 pack off Ebay,) and making the blue Conrail F7 #1648 powered, while the black F7 will be a dummy, and I already have the chassis to do so.

Stay tuned!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/

Edited by - RP model railroads on November 29 2020 6:54:24 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 30 2020 :  07:16:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist

Love the details! They take a lot of work to add on, the previous owner did an awesome job. Get yourself a white sharpie paint pen to easily paint those handrails white like how conrail did. It really adds a lot to the model.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 30 2020 :  08:26:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

Love the details! They take a lot of work to add on, the previous owner did an awesome job. Get yourself a white sharpie paint pen to easily paint those handrails white like how conrail did. It really adds a lot to the model.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-November 30 2020: 07:16:01 AM

Thanks! That is a good idea.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - November 30 2020 :  09:45:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Wow can't wait to see the finished product! Also not first picture are they on your new layout?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 30 2020 :  8:48:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Wow can't wait to see the finished product! Also not first picture are they on your new layout?

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd-November 30 2020: 09:45:25 AM

Yeah, I just sat them there when I was going thru the box.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 01 2020 :  10:09:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I like that you are using, one would guess, the very earliest CR
paint job. That is not something commercially available, to my
knowledge, and is a most unique thing to see.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 01 2020 :  10:02:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I like that you are using, one would guess, the very earliest CR
paint job. That is not something commercially available, to my
knowledge, and is a most unique thing to see.

Originally posted by Chops124-December 01 2020: 10:09:41 AM

Yep, the plain patched "CR" paint job was mainly done on aging equipment that was acquired by Conrail, like the F7's. So, an F7 was never painted in the popular Conrail blue with the full logo, like many modelers produced. Similarly, there was never a Chessie F7, but there were some old B&O F7's that Chessie absorbed and then retired.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 04 2020 :  10:52:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Added all decals on both shells tonight. The black "CR" F7 is now #1750, while the only blue Conrail F7 #1648 has come to life.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 05 2020 :  01:08:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, that takes me back!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 05 2020 :  10:17:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Finished adding horns and installing the chassis into the F7 shells. The powered one is #1648, while the dummy is now #2123 (accidentally knocked off a 7 from the previous decal set and had no more 7's, so I went with a fake number.) I'm really proud of how these turned out!

I do plan on adding glass in the future, and it turned out I already had a kit mixed in with my various couplers & parts. So I just need to order another Walthers "dress-up kit" which includes the F7 glass, and then I'll install them on both F7's.

Also, I have these 2 old broken Athearn PRR B-unit shells and a solid-metal Athearn F7 B-unit dummy chassis....so I may "bash" these 2 together into one complete unit, and spray-paint it PC-black, to be lettered for Conrail "CR" after-merger, much like the F7's I've already done.

Here's 2 shots of both Conrail F7's, from a more scale angle. :)

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - December 06 2020 :  09:27:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
These look really good!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 06 2020 :  1:04:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This has to be one of the best repaints I've ever seen. For subject
matter alone it rates a +10. For nostalgia, it really kicks me in the
knee. Fabulous job, RP, who does this???

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 06 2020 :  1:18:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you Chops and Erik. Here's the video as promised. Enjoy all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ILkO0cn40&t=41s

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 06 2020 :  2:08:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hands down awesome.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 06 2020 :  8:53:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Hands down awesome.

Originally posted by Chops124-December 06 2020: 2:08:29 PM

Thanks!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 06 2020 :  9:03:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I posted your website link to a British model train forum I follow, that
has a corner set up for HO & International. The EVRR is really a splendid
example of a micro layout, and micro layouts are much more popular
in the UK than here, as are point-to-points, which are a pretty rare
bird over here. I like that Bamos, I think, nicely incorporated a
terminal end between two circulating loops.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 07 2020 :  07:13:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
RP, who does this???

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 06 2020 :  1:04:06 PM

ME!

They look great! With the glass they look even better, trust me!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 07 2020 :  08:23:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I posted your website link to a British model train forum I follow, that
has a corner set up for HO & International. The EVRR is really a splendid
example of a micro layout, and micro layouts are much more popular
in the UK than here, as are point-to-points, which are a pretty rare
bird over here. I like that Bamos, I think, nicely incorporated a
terminal end between two circulating loops.

Originally posted by Chops124-December 06 2020: 9:03:10 PM

Thanks man! Please also feel free to share my YouTube channel link, as I really don't use the website much any more.

Also, Alex is correct. In fact, he, Aaron, and others are way more talented at customizing trains & things than I am. I prefer doing things the easy way - spray-painting - or just running trains as is, as best as possible, in their original form.

Edited by - RP model railroads on December 07 2020 08:24:49 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 07 2020 :  1:35:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, I meant the current you tube link. Hopefully it will get more eyes on your marvelous achievements.

Blax, you do amazing stuff and you are sublime actor- loved your opener to that most clever locomotive review, particularly the “stalling out” of the June, that really had me laughing.

The whole video was a delightful combination of the satirical, the enthusiastic, and the serious.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 07 2020 :  9:05:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome! I really appreciate it, Chops.

And, I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed the first episode of Model Train Trio. A 2nd is in the works, right guys?

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - December 07 2020 :  9:47:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
yes!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 08 2020 :  07:15:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
thankye chops! and yes, a 2nd is in the works...
  Previous Topic: Seperating glued parts Topic Next Topic: RP model railroads Sharknose airhorn project  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000