Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Harte's Mill II
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bump of Smeltertown Topic Next Topic: My Layout
Page: of 2

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 13 2021 :  7:23:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
One step forward, two steps back. First, had to strip off the upper layer of track. I was hasty and the uneven
sub-base would not allow a train to remain on the rails. Very hard to trim the Styrofoam packing, which was
free, to the correct depth, and the fumes were nasty. While standing in the Post Office, I spied these
poster mailers. The measure out at three inches by three inches, the exact height I need for the crossing
over the lower rails.

Next issue were these AHM coaches, that would not track for a nickel. I tried weighting them down, and
they still derailed, and little American could barely pull two of them. Thought maybe metal wheels would
help, then realized the wheels were already metal. Upon careful examination, the problem was the horn hooks
that were stiff and created a bad lateral stress that pulled them off the rails at every corner. Usually, I steer
clear of Kadees, but I had some extras in the junk box, and they allow an easy lateral transfer through the curves and no more derailments, and no additional weight is needed.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 13 2021 :  9:47:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yeah, sometimes it can feel that way with a layout. Glad you were able to sort out those problems, though. I have also found that certain horn-hooks (I'm talking to you, vintage Bachmann diesels) can be too stiff in one direction, leading to derailments on tight curves.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 14 2021 :  12:24:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I was surprised, usually horn hooks don't give me much trouble, but
the 18 inch curves, they hung up badly. Kadees bailed me out, now
the cars run perfectly, without any issue. It took a bit of study before
I recognized the issue. Glad I didn't shell out a bunch of money for
metal wheels. And luckily, the Kadees just slotted right in, which was
an unexpected bonus.

On my British pike, the couplers resemble the good old Mantua hook
and loop couplers, and I would have thought they would be immune to
lateral binding. To my surprise, they can bind up badly, particularly between
different brands, as they don't have the exactitude of NMRA specifications,
and vary, just a little, between makers.

I tried to open up this Bachmann Jupe, and as typically happens with these
Bachmanns, I soon ended up with a bunch of parts. Here I am gluing the
stack back on. I was trying to see if the boiler had any space at all for a
little more weight (it does not, not a millimeter). Fortunately, I was able to
get it all back together and working again.

The pickups on the old tooling Americans are flimsy and weak, so a periodic
cleaning of contact surfaces makes it run markedly better.

I am shifting back and forth between the subway and Mormon's Gulch, as the glue dries on
one, I work on the other.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - February 14 2021 :  3:01:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
More bad news, the smokestack isn't aligned straight

Glad you got the coaches working!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 15 2021 :  12:16:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Two inches of snow pretty much ground the city to a halt, fine by me, gave me a chance to
work on Mormon's Gulch a little bit. I pulled the Pocher off the shelf, that I got from Eric,
I think, and after a little cleaning it fired right up and will be in revenue service before
long. Used the mailing tubes to create a foundation for the upper tier, and very pleased with
the results. The lower train looks really neat nipping in and out of tunnels and under
the bridges yet to come.

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - February 15 2021 :  11:54:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I think you bought the bowker from Alex
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 15 2021 :  12:13:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
One of you two.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - February 15 2021 :  3:34:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I think you bought the bowker from Alex

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - February 15 2021 :  11:54:02 AM

yeah, that was me
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Bump of Smeltertown Topic Next Topic: My Layout  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000