Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW November 1 - November 7, 2020
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW  November 22-28, 2020 Topic Next Topic: LOTW: Nov. 15th - Nov. 21st  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 01 2020 :  2:34:27 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
My LOTW is something I recently received in the mail. An Electrotren 2-4-0 Renfe (Spanish railway company) tank engine. Electrotren, for those who don't know, is a Spanish manufacturer of model trains. The engine I recently purchased after winning it in an auction (for $40 with shipping and taxes!) with the original box was made sometime between 1974 and 1986 in Spain (according to a Spanish model railroading forum I found). Yes, this model was actually made in Spain.The quality is surprisingly good, frankly. There are certain things about it that leave a bit to be desired, but it's fairly well made. I would say the quality is a couple of notches below that of Märklin. It has a pancake motor (typical in Europe during that time), all metal gears (meaning this thing is noisy) and brass wipers which brush against the sides of the wheels for power (works surprisingly well despite how small the wheelbase is). The flanges on this thing are huge, meaning it's not the biggest fan of curves (it'll do them fine, just doesn't seem to be very happy with it, for the most part). It's also ridiculously heavy for its size, as it has a giant lead counterweight on the front of the loco. All you have to do to get to the motor, by the way, is pry the shell apart and pull, much like an Athearn loco (it has little slots that 1 metal lug on each side go into). The engine needs about 10% more power on my controller than most of my other engines (35-40% power instead of 25-30% power), which I've tried to fix but to no avail, which leads me to believe that maybe it has something to do with the weight?It doesn't get very hot very fast (it gets a bit warm after about 10-20 minutes of running). Otherwise, though, it's a great runner. It goes through my switches surprisingly well for an engine of its size (it's quite literally small enough to fit in the palm of my hand!) and, not to mention, absolutely gorgeous.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 01 2020 :  2:59:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What an interesting piece.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - November 01 2020 :  6:30:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
My LOTW will be my TYCO-Mantua CR-4 switcher. Here it is seen switching a brand new GP9 through the busy Rico Yard in the 1960s.

Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 01 2020 :  9:14:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My loco of the week is a world War 1 export to the front line countries. We had just gotten into the conflict when our government formed the USRA. Baldwin and Alco had built a number of locomotives of various wheel arrangements to help with the war effort. A number of 2-8-0 were assigned to some American railroads to help with the additional war traffic. The CRRofNJ received some. this is one of them USA #665.
A second locomotive #663 is seen here also.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on November 01 2020 9:20:51 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - November 01 2020 :  11:43:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice pieces all, and I really like Arron's switcher...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 02 2020 :  12:00:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Inspired by the Pink Floyd song of the same name, then the dog cereal, this locomotive rode straight down the abyss of the slippery slope. Absolutely disconnected from main stream modeling, I had just had to have it. I wonder some days what in the world I was thinking of it, but here she be:

The Gravy Train FP40. Ryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyt.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - November 02 2020 :  12:10:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Neat piece, Chops! I grabbed a bag of Gravy train a few days ago for my dogs... Very nice looking engine!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 02 2020 :  06:38:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I saw that spanish locomotive on auction!

My friends and I were bidding on his C62, we lost!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 03 2020 :  1:47:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I saw that spanish locomotive on auction!

My friends and I were bidding on his C62, we lost!!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - November 02 2020 :  06:38:53 AM

Hey, cool! What scale was the C62? N or H0? Either way, sucks that you lost. I know that feeling all too well.I'm actually shocked I won the auction on that Spanish locomotive. I came home from work thinking I had lost that auction, and then I saw a notification saying, "Congrats, you won" and I was like, "Wait, what?".

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 03 2020 :  3:59:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
it was HO. The chassis was a mantua. I need to figure out who made the shell!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 03 2020 :  4:15:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I'll throw in this Revell SW7 with mechanical clutch. The clutch doesn't come close to a flywheel locomotive, but it is fun to operate.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 05 2020 :  9:04:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice selection of different locos, all.

My LOTW offering is my 2nd HO-Scale German diesel so far, a Lima DB Class 216 (V160) diesel!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 05 2020 :  10:33:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
So, the mechanical clutch, that like a centrifugal device? Neat looking piece, maurading the streets of Queens.

Nice German piece, RP . Someday would be nice to go there.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 06 2020 :  01:43:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I believe so, yes. There's a large drum IIRC mounted on the motor/driveshaft and whatever the motor is spinning inside the drum engages the outer walls of the drum. I just received two more identical units in the mail yesterday (which was a complete surprise) and while the motors turn, the clutches won't engage on either engine. Looks like I'll be finding out exactly how they work.
Edited by - DaCheez on November 06 2020 01:45:20 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 06 2020 :  01:44:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Here's a pair of clutches I came across on some Varney engines. The first one is a fluid clutch and uses oil inside the drum. The second is mechanical.

Edited by - DaCheez on November 06 2020 01:48:04 AM

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - November 20 2020 :  11:37:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
Eric, your second clutch is a Jerry Martin Centriclutch.
Part of the American Beauty line.
I have one as well.
Had a lot of trouble getting it to operate properly.
Have fun.
Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 21 2020 :  11:13:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I'll throw in this Revell SW7 with mechanical clutch. The clutch doesn't come close to a flywheel locomotive, but it is fun to operate.

Originally posted by DaCheez - November 03 2020 :  4:15:58 PM

nice loco

Also this is why the trolley lines in Philadelphia are at a wider gauge
So that trains can't use them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW  November 22-28, 2020 Topic Next Topic: LOTW: Nov. 15th - Nov. 21st  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000