Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 looking to identify a real train from the past
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: One of a kind Topic Next Topic: does a beter power pack, but like this one, exist?  

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 26 2020 :  11:18:10 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
when I was much much younger, my parents took me to disneyland, my ma does not like flying so we took a train
if I can identify roughly when and the from and to locations, is there a place that I can find the train I rode on? I think it was chicago to LA in the 70's (awaiting response from parents email to narrow down date)

I'm guessing an older chief line? I don't remember a sleeping car, just a seating car
wiki suggest the California Zephyr
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 27 2020 :  12:31:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great way to travel! Guessing you went from Wisconsin to LA? Myself,
I caught the tail end of rail travel, when traveling by rail was still considered a
normal way of getting from A to B. Certainly still is, in terms of getting
from Boston to NYC, only the desperate would take a chance of
getting stuck in a monumental traffic jam outside of NYC. Metroliner
the only way to go.

My mother, who in her youth, routinely took the train to go to
college or to holiday, always had a paranoia about traveling by
train. Near as I could understand is that in those terrible
train disasters, infrequent as they were, left an indelible impression
on her. No doubt, I'd rather take my chances on a train wreck
than a plane wreck. Going by plane is an all-or-nothing
proposition.

Edited by - Chops124 on October 27 2020 12:32:53 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 27 2020 :  01:29:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I remember our grade School took a passenger train tip from our hometown in Ohio to West Virginia but I am not sure to what city! I was probably only 10 years old.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 27 2020 :  11:36:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
when I was much much younger, my parents took me to disneyland, my ma does not like flying so we took a train
if I can identify roughly when and the from and to locations, is there a place that I can find the train I rode on? I think it was chicago to LA in the 70's (awaiting response from parents email to narrow down date)

I'm guessing an older chief line? I don't remember a sleeping car, just a seating car
wiki suggest the California Zephyr

Originally posted by tater1337 - October 26 2020 :  11:18:10 PM

If you went before Amtrak took effect on Oct. 30, 1970. You probably went on the Santa Fe, either on the Chief or the Super Chief. Later than that, Amtrak's Chicago to LA train is the Southwest Chief.

https://www.amtrak.com/southwest-chief-train

California Zephyr runs Chicago to San Francisco. That name goes way back and was passed on to Amtrak.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 27 2020 :  11:43:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Near as I could understand is that in those terrible train disasters, infrequent as they were, left an indelible impression on her. No doubt, I'd rather take my chances on a train wreck than a plane wreck. Going by plane is an all-or-nothing proposition.
Originally posted by Chops124 - October 27 2020 :  12:31:48 AM

A big fan of railroad passenger cars told me that most people killed in a train wreck are passing between cars at the time of the wreck. The actual passenger space in a train car is pretty strong and reasonably good protection in a wreck. There was a period in the 19th century when railroading was new and some lessons remained to be learned about safety. At that time, train wrecks entailed wooden cars telescoping into each other, floor boards breaking upward into the car and skewering people, and trains catching fire in a wreck and burning people up. Most of that is long past.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 27 2020 :  11:48:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Being as young as I am I haven't written on many trains my grandmother rode on the great northern empire builder with her twin sister back in the late 40s
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: One of a kind Topic Next Topic: does a beter power pack, but like this one, exist?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000