Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 An important message to all ebay sellers.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A guide to Extensive Powertorque cleaning Topic Next Topic: New engine replacement  

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - October 25 2020 :  6:19:56 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist

This advertisement is sponsored by the American Society For Prevention of Cruelty Against Model Trains.

Please, throw the WD-40 as far away from the locomotive as possible.

Aaron Anderson
Edited by - A-A-RON on October 25 2020 6:20:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: March 08 2024 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 25 2020 :  6:39:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
WD-40?? WD-40 lasts about 6 days no matter what you apply it to. I have used it for many years successfully on loosening old car nuts and bolts. Usually soaking and tapping the part more than once over several days... As a lube, it's good for a temporary fix. I would never use it as an oil lube for a model train...
Edited by - walt on October 25 2020 7:06:59 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - October 25 2020 :  7:42:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
quote:
WD-40?? WD-40 lasts about 6 days no matter what you apply it to. I have used it for many years successfully on loosening old car nuts and bolts. Usually soaking and tapping the part more than once over several days... As a lube, it's good for a temporary fix. I would never use it as an oil lube for a model train...

Originally posted by walt - October 25 2020 :  6:39:20 PM

I've had more than one engine arrive over oiled. My Santa Fe GP20 just smoked out a motor, but I was able to take it apart, clean it, and get it to run again. Sellers shouldn't oil locomotives if they don't know what they're doing.

Aaron Anderson
Edited by - A-A-RON on October 25 2020 7:43:14 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: March 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 25 2020 :  7:45:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Good poster! This is important
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 25 2020 :  8:09:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That had me roaring with laughter! Should also be a poster for
"Friends don't let friends buy Power Torques!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 25 2020 :  9:42:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
my friend has been lubing my locos with STP oil
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - October 25 2020 :  9:59:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
quote:
That had me roaring with laughter! Should also be a poster for
"Friends don't let friends buy Power Torques!"

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 25 2020 :  8:09:41 PM

Chops and Powertorques seem to go together like water and oil.

I've been happy with mine overall. I hate having to work on them, but it's pretty easy overall. When you keep them in the right amount of oil and keep the wheels and contacts clean, then they usually go okay.

The one thing about powertorques that is that they aren't designed to move a mountain. I never try to pull more than 3-5 free-rolling cars plus caboose with mine. The less stress you put on that pinion and drive train, the better off you're likely going to be.

My only rant about them is the headlight setup is garbage. I've broken way more lights than I ever want to thanks to the poor mountings and wirings.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: March 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 25 2020 :  10:43:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I was messing with some locomotives that had been worked on by someone whose workmanship I'd not swear by. There was one engine that smoked for a few seconds and then started running. I think it was an over-oiled motor burning off the excess oil and then it was ready to go. It wasn't a power torque. Might have been an older Bachmann.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 25 2020 :  10:46:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I am a big fan of the PowerTorque motor, and had Tyco done a better quality job, they honestly would have made an unbeatable chassis setup, that already was strong and unlike most other model train manufacturers of the time, easy to maintenance. Most older HO-Scale locomotives require you to loosen screws, etc, just to access the gears, whereas with a Tyco PowerTorque, all you have to do is pop out the truck, clean/lube the gears, and then pop it back in. A great idea, but it was the poor quality which unfortunately cursed the PowerTorque design.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 25 2020 :  11:08:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Power torques are good for beginners like me they are pretty easy to work on and understand my examples of power torques are thankfully in good condition
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 26 2020 :  12:47:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I remember deliberately over oiling our slot cars years ago! They would sputter and spit burning off the excess oil then run like a greyhound for a while. And that odor was soo cool back then!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 26 2020 :  12:49:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
my friend has been lubing my locos with STP oil

Originally posted by microbusss - October 25 2020 :  9:42:04 PM

Sounds cool but I think that would be an awful heavy oil for model trains, unless STP makes a hobby oil that I don't know about.
  Previous Topic: A guide to Extensive Powertorque cleaning Topic Next Topic: New engine replacement  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 1.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000