Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Building of the week. (BOTW)
 BOTW October 25 to 31, 2020
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: BOTW November 1ST - Nov. 7TH , 2020 Topic Next Topic: BOTW October 18 -24, 2020  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 25 2020 :  09:14:51 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

One of my upcoming projects is to do an expanded, but small, maybe 2.5 x 5 feet, Old West layout.
Got this neat old Plasticville structure off eBay. The shine needs to be dulled, I am thinking of a
watery gray wash to mute it and bring out the wood and shingle detail. Any suggestions?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 25 2020 :  09:25:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
So far, I've never found anything short of flat paint that'll take the shine off of plastic. Maybe something on the order of Dullcoat would work. I've also found it hard to weather something glossy with washes. Washes favor a flat finish.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - October 25 2020 :  10:48:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist

My BOTW will be my Tyco Trackside Accessories Kit Sheds. I hand painted both of these, and the result is stunningly nice, not being done justice by my picture. I've loved this kit, although it was quite difficult to build, it has some nice features.

Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 25 2020 :  11:48:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
NEATO!!

Do you think a thinned black wash will have the desired effect on the
Old West building? Then I could hit it with Dullcote.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 25 2020 :  4:36:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
NEATO!!

Do you think a thinned black wash will have the desired effect on the
Old West building? Then I could hit it with Dullcote.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 25 2020 :  11:48:44 AM

The thin black wash would give it that weathered look. I wonder if you might need the Dullcote first to make the wash stick.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 25 2020 :  5:28:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Yep, as shaggy said. Dullcote first, then your wash. The flat finish gives it tooth. I like to go and buy some rustoleum matte clear from the hardware store rather than the "dullcote" name brand stuff. It is in a smaller can and costs the same as the "matte clear".

Remember to hold your building up on the side you are applying the wash first, once it dries, do the next side. Dont put the building flat down, or else the wash will run off. Sort if hard to explain through text
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 25 2020 :  5:33:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Chops are you subscribed to ho collector they talked about bachman's early wild West range in the most recent issue
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 25 2020 :  5:34:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
quote:

My BOTW will be my Tyco Trackside Accessories Kit Sheds. I hand painted both of these, and the result is stunningly nice, not being done justice by my picture. I've loved this kit, although it was quite difficult to build, it has some nice features.

Originally posted by A-A-RON - October 25 2020 :  10:48:18 AM

that is really neat!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 25 2020 :  6:47:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Tyco machine shop. Also has an HO scale flickering welding simulator inside, and a regular white light in it. A couple of older pics as I was too lazy to take some new ones..

Edited by - walt on October 25 2020 6:58:18 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 25 2020 :  6:50:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:

One of my upcoming projects is to do an expanded, but small, maybe 2.5 x 5 feet, Old West layout.
Got this neat old Plasticville structure off eBay. The shine needs to be dulled, I am thinking of a
watery gray wash to mute it and bring out the wood and shingle detail. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 25 2020 :  09:14:51 AM

How about a fine grit piece of Scotch bright, Chops. It would take some time but that would be my choice to try first...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 26 2020 :  07:57:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
MY BOTW. In some of my recent layout photos, this Victorian Mansion is seen. I recently got it from Gold Rush Bay, It is their Victorian Mansion #4. It comes fully assembled for it uses the new computerized plastic spinning technology to make it.

This particular one has interior room detail.

The outside detail is really great. also.

Here is the interior room detail.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 28 2020 09:48:32 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - October 26 2020 :  09:28:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Impressive mansion Toptrain
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 26 2020 :  4:08:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very interesting piece, Frank. I'd never heard of Gold Rush Bay, before.
Some very nice Old West structures, which is of interest to me as I am
planning a small Old West layout in the near future.

It has the look of something made by 3D printing, but their web page
refers to the structures being made of wood, which I have a little
trouble understanding. Is your mansion wood or is it resin?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 27 2020 :  05:53:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Another BOTW pic

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 28 2020 :  10:33:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:

It has the look of something made by 3D printing, but their web page
refers to the structures being made of wood, which I have a little
trouble understanding. Is your mansion wood or is it resin?

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 26 2020 :  4:08:06 PM

yeah, that's printed, and I think not resin either, due to size

but it might be, it has the look of resin printing, but with really large layers

I just play with PLA, not even the wood infused stuff either
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 28 2020 :  10:34:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
Impressive mansion any way you look at it, expect more like that to pop up
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 28 2020 :  11:58:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Gary, Jeff, what you see is what you get. If you search Goldrushbay.com The company catalog comes up. There are videos in the link with the young man who started up this company speaking of his products. He has recently started up N scale production of similar models. His HO structures are very interesting. His scale seems to be a little smaller than HO. I could be wrong as always. I haven't placed a scale ruler on anything. I let the rivet counters do that. A strange thing is missing in the rooms of the house I have and that is the fireplace. The room arrangement off of the center hallway is with the Palor to the left and the dining room to the right as you enter the hall. The Parlor interconnects to the library on the left side, and the dining room interconnects with the kitchen on the right side. I like the stool at the center of the isle meal preparation table. The library bookshelves were made in an improper location, blocking 2 windows. One window in the library, the other in the parlor. I am thinking I should remove them. These two rooms being almost duplicates of one another. Actually mirror images of each other. The only difference being a light placed on the desk. A third library-like area is on the third floor within the enclosure of the Mansard roof, along with a 5th bedroom. The two removed bookshelves would possibly be relocated here giving this attic area a more defined room and a larger reading room. I am uncertain about the curved wall space created by the shape of the Mansard roof and fitting the bookshelves into this area. I won't know for sure until I try it.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 28 2020 :  12:03:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ted, I think what was meant was the structure of this type of building in reality was a wood structure. Not one of brick or stone. I did see when in a salon building was spoken of some wood type mixture used to make the model. I am thinking about getting one of the stations on sale for about half price.
link; Goldrushbay.com
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 28 2020 2:12:36 PM

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 28 2020 :  3:32:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:
Ted, I think what was meant was the structure of this type of building in reality was a wood structure. Not one of brick or stone. I did see when in a salon building was spoken of some wood type mixture used to make the model. I am thinking about getting one of the stations on sale for about half price.
link; Goldrushbay.com
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - October 28 2020 :  12:03:57 PM

those are nicely priced, from a 3d printing cost standpoint

and it looks like they have their printer well tuned as things like the rail posts and window muntins

if I was to print stuff like that, I wouldn't do it as one piece, but that seems to be the popular option these days (I'd do panels like the injection molded kits that originally came in the 60-70's)

FYI for those that don't know. 3d printing is done in layers, like plywood.
so vertical parts can be fragile, but tend to have the better detail

(on my todo list, design and print some printer friendly buffers, then try to print that well car on thingiverse)

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 28 2020 :  5:45:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
no bathroom cause at the time it was a outhouse!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Locodub
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - October 28 2020 :  10:38:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Locodub to Buddylist
Might be some chamber pots in a house that fancy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 87  ~  Member Since: March 16 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: BOTW November 1ST - Nov. 7TH , 2020 Topic Next Topic: BOTW October 18 -24, 2020  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000