Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW October 18 to 24, 2020
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW October 25 to 31, 2020 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Rocktober 11 to 17, 2020  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 18 2020 :  12:46:17 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Been wanting one of these babies for years and years, but these things go for mega bucks
when they turn up at auction on eBay. DaCheez spotted this one in a thrift shop in the
Toronto area for about $20. Very graciously he hunted it back down and sent it to me.
As the PT motors really stink, sorry RP, I had him keep the trucks as I would have no
use for them. The fuel tank/weight had been secured by some insane super glue. It took
hours of careful poking with the a razor knife to get it out. Then another couple of hours
sawing off the tip of a Model Power shark chassis, and then more time spent sawing out
internal plastic ribs from the shell, and finally the shell mated up reasonably well to the
chassis.

Those old Model Power chassis are most heavy and have this giant can motor on flywheels,
so it runs and it pulls without equal, now!

Thank you, DA CHEEZMEISTER!!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 18 2020 :  01:14:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice piece Chops! I really like the Canadiana box car that I got from you a while back!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 18 2020 :  01:58:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Is that where it went!! Just as well, this stuff grows like fungus if
one is not careful. Hear ye well, Mr. Tater. I still like that ultra cool
yellow BN you gave me a while ago. Scarce as hen's teeth, they be,
and one of my favorite standard fifty footers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2020 :  2:48:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice custom Canadiana Shark, Chops. I still need one...

My LOTW offering is this N-Scale Lima Santa Fe GP30. It runs poorly, and hauls literally next to nothing on the Santa Fe Paradise, whether in tandem with other locomotives or solo, even with fresh traction tires. But, I'll probably keep it for shunting on the front of the layout where there are no grades.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 18 2020 :  3:13:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
yikes
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 18 2020 :  3:40:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice, RP! I see one of these around doing pick up and delivery around El Paso now and again. Never have
my camera when I do see it. It does exist. Albeit with an ugly BNSF swatch plastered on the cab. Yeah, Mr. Buffet,
we know already.

Gotta do a double dipsy. Lot of fiddling to add couplers, Kadees, which I generally hate, and getting the pantograph to stay put on the insulators, add a horn, a bell. Not sure who the manufacturer is. Somebody said it might be Roundhouse, as is the caboose? The caboose, BTW, is getting some windows.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 18 2020 :  4:45:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Bachmann Spectrum Phase 3 Amtrak FP40PH

has working strobes that are BRIGHT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 18 2020 :  8:48:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Nice, RP! I see one of these around doing pick up and delivery around El Paso now and again. Never have
my camera when I do see it. It does exist. Albeit with an ugly BNSF swatch plastered on the cab. Yeah, Mr. Buffet,
we know already.

Gotta do a double dipsy. Lot of fiddling to add couplers, Kadees, which I generally hate, and getting the pantograph to stay put on the insulators, add a horn, a bell. Not sure who the manufacturer is. Somebody said it might be Roundhouse, as is the caboose? The caboose, BTW, is getting some windows.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 18 2020 :  3:40:05 PM

The cabs are from an athearn hustler. Not sure about the hood. But it is certaintly custom.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 18 2020 :  9:20:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Beauty there, bus. Road behind one of those from Springfield, Massachusetts
to LA, with a brief interlude behind a Toaster to D.C. from Bridgeport, CT back
in '85.

You know, I checked out the cab pretty closely when I had it off, cannot find any
seams to indicate this was a kit bash, and the paint was neatly applied with no
overspray. The lettering has the look of lithography.

Anyone find this in a catalogue or something??

Edited by - Chops124 on October 18 2020 9:22:27 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2020 :  10:03:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I have never seen a locomotive like that before, and searching Google provides no results. If it is custom, it is incredible.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 19 2020 :  12:03:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I swear it's a factory job. Try to find the decal lines, I can't.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 19 2020 :  07:07:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I swear it's a factory job. Try to find the decal lines, I can't.

Originally posted by Chops124-October 19 2020: 12:03:50 AM

Hmmm, any name anywhere? On the weight or inside the shell?

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 19 2020 :  07:21:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
That Hooker appears to have an Athearn Drive and two Hussler cabs. The center is maybe the hood from another diesel. As to a prototype maybe something exists someplace. No reference to length so because it is on Atlas snap track you could count the track ties and reference that to a distance. The roof of the hood shows no exhaust stack so it cant be diesel and must be all-electric.
Here is something similar using an Athearn switcher drive and the body uses MDC box car parts. This one is a diesel.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 19 2020 07:24:02 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 19 2020 :  10:06:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's a real neat kitbash, but again, there is no evidence the shell
was ever bashed, and the paint and graphics have no evidence other
than being paint. There was no makers mark.

Even on the great example above, the seam appears hidden by the
ladders, and the lettering is just a little wobbly, even though the
decal edges are well concealed.

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - October 19 2020 :  10:47:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 20 2020 :  12:04:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Love that Cox F unit! I have one, it ran like a top for many a mile, then went dead as a door knob.
Have to pull it apart and see if it is something easily repaired.

Mike, I'm so pleased you posted that lovely old Cox. I pulled mine off the shelf to see why in the world
it just stopped working. It was running fine, then just stopped. Usually these things peter out first, not
just go blewy, unless of course, sorry RP, a Tyco PT motor, and then it gives off a dense puff of gray smoke.

So I took out the trucks, everything looked pristine, and it is a nice solid motor, much like the, favored, Tyco
MU2 plant. Wedged tightly, like a splinter, between a drive wheel and bogie frame was a track nail!!
Pulled it out, and away she went, good as new!!!

Edited by - Chops124 on October 20 2020 03:12:19 AM

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 20 2020 :  03:39:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:

Been wanting one of these babies for years and years, but these things go for mega bucks
when they turn up at auction on eBay. DaCheez spotted this one in a thrift shop in the
Toronto area for about $20. Very graciously he hunted it back down and sent it to me.
As the PT motors really stink, sorry RP, I had him keep the trucks as I would have no
use for them. The fuel tank/weight had been secured by some insane super glue. It took
hours of careful poking with the a razor knife to get it out. Then another couple of hours
sawing off the tip of a Model Power shark chassis, and then more time spent sawing out
internal plastic ribs from the shell, and finally the shell mated up reasonably well to the
chassis.

Those old Model Power chassis are most heavy and have this giant can motor on flywheels,
so it runs and it pulls without equal, now!

Thank you, DA CHEEZMEISTER!!!!

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 18 2020 :  12:46:17 AM

Chops, I'm glad to see you were able to get the tank out, it was really in there good! The shark looks great sitting on its new chassis.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW October 25 to 31, 2020 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Rocktober 11 to 17, 2020  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000