Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Remotoring rivarossi docksides
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Restoring a 1950''s Rivarossi WP C-Liner Topic Next Topic: AHM Pennsylvania RR  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 11 2020 :  3:21:44 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I'm fed up with the erratic performance of these old motors, I'd like to remotor my docksides. I know I have to use a flat CD ROM can motor, but which one? Nickleplate759 remotored some of these years ago, but did not provide much information on what type of motor he used, etc.

Could anybody help me out?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 11 2020 :  5:35:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Don't blame you. The poor quality of many of these low end pieces
is wearisome. But my question is this: are you sure it's the motor
or is it the flimsy pickups?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 11 2020 :  6:09:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
The motor 100%. It has been giving me trouble for a long while and I just want to be done with it. It smokes on occasion too.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 12 2020 :  1:16:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Once again, another topic gets buried under all the rest. We must face it, this forum is dead. A sad but harsh truth.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 12 2020 :  1:42:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I've been paying attention to this topic I don't have an idea on what you could remoter with though
Edited by - Erik The Train Nerd on October 12 2020 1:42:50 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 12 2020 :  3:44:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Did you see this smt video he replaced the motor in a blue goose with a cheap eBay one and it works really well
https://youtu.be/VFzUjXvRh4U
here's the video where he put the motor in some of his other locomotives
https://youtu.be/9VMuFz8xPrs
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 12 2020 :  7:05:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Yes I did, but the thing is I need a flat round motor, like ones used in CD ROM drives. The rivarossi motors have very similar proportions to can motors like these. Problem is I dont know all about voltages and things so I'm not sure which I need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263132404320

I'll put a picture of nickleplate759s remotored dockside here in a bit

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 12 2020 :  10:04:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Once again, another topic gets buried under all the rest. We must face it, this forum is dead. A sad but harsh truth.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-October 12 2020: 1:16:28 PM

Much like Erik, I also read this thread, however I have no clue how to help as I've never done a remotor project before.

However, I completely disagree that the forum is dead. In fact, it is very much alive. Just because a thread doesn't receive a reply within 24 hours doesn't mean an overall lack of participation in the forum itself. Not everyone remotors model trains. Although we each are model railroaders and collectors to a degree, each has their own specific niche.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 12 2020 :  10:55:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
There's a forum out there that's particularly about this sort of project and all that it entails (which is more than you'd initially think).

https://groups.io/g/RepowerAndRegear

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 13 2020 :  09:10:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
thank you for the helpful link shaggy, I'll have a look at that.

bitlerisvj
Switcher

Posted - October 16 2020 :  2:33:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bitlerisvj to Buddylist
I did one of those using a CD ROM can motor. I think you might be able to see photos in the group,but I am not sure. Give it a try.
https://groups.io/g/RepowerAndRegear/album?id=17475
I remotored one of the AHM C-16a's using a CD Rom drive motor. I made sure to use a 12 volt one as many are just 6 volts.
I also had to fabricate a mount for it, but it wasn't a really big deal. I also used a Kato worm as I heard it works really well with the AHM gear and really lowers the speed to be more prototypical. As I recall the AHM worm is a triple (or at least a double) start which means it goes REALLY fast. You can get the Kato worms at most hobby shops and on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORM-GEAR-ASSEMBLIES-W-COVERS-Fits-RS1-KATO-Japan-Version-HO-Scale-RS-1/373217803605?hash=item56e583bd55:g:G6YAAOSwmXtePNtT
Unfortunately, I did have to turn a shaft extension to reach the worm gear. At that time, I had access to a lathe and was able to turn the extension. I first drilled a 2mm hole into a 3/16 rod and turned it around and cut down the other end to fit the 2mm worm hole. I used a collet to ensure concentricity. You can see it in one of the photos. I have heard some folks were able to obtain these motors with longer shafts and did not need an extension.
I also turned down the driver flanges, but that is another story. It runs beautifully and has a DCC Decoder in it.
Regards, Vic B.

Vic Bitleris
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 55  ~  Member Since: May 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 20 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 16 2020 :  6:52:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Thanks vic, I saw your reply on repower forums. I have downloaded a lot of the pictures and schematics I could find on the topic from that site. I'll be ordering some motors soon!
  Previous Topic: Restoring a 1950''s Rivarossi WP C-Liner Topic Next Topic: AHM Pennsylvania RR  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000