Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 trying to find my childhood set
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Help Topic Next Topic: Is This Custom?  

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 09 2020 :  2:20:28 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
one christmas I had gotten the following, but I cannot seem to be able to identify the set
this might be a set plus pieces(pretty sure) but I was too young to recall much more about it

one Lighted Santa Fe F-9
oval track(4 straights and enough curved for a single loop)
box with the trackside signs and poles
boxcar
flatbed with 3 tractors
tanker car
caboose
power pack
spirit of america 1776 steam(pretty sure the only separate part)

most sets I looked at either had cars that I would have recalled or don't have the trackside signs and poles

I mean it sounds like a Twin Diesel Freight (No. 7312) from 76 plus the spirit but that set didn't have the poles(not the most desirable accessory for a kid like me, and a real space hog in the box)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 09 2020 :  9:25:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
If you cannot find that exact set, boxed, you may consider rebuilding it
from separate items purchased individually. Except the locomotives,
I have most of those items for a sale that ends tomorrow. I even have the original
brass track. I threw away all my old Tyco transformers, for fear of fire
and shock, but they are out there in abundance. The most you should pay
for one is $5. My tractor flats, I have way too many, sell for about $5.
The locomotives you describe, the ‘76 steamer varies in auction price, but
they are out there. The ATSF F unit is abundant, with the blue and yellow
scheme a little harder to find. I’d not pay more than $10 for a mint red and yellow.

If interested, I can help you make up a set for $20 plus nominal shipping, for
everything short of power pack and locomotives.

Edited by - Chops124 on October 09 2020 9:27:06 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 09 2020 :  10:02:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I have a tyco power pack that I might be willing to sell
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 09 2020 :  10:06:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
thanks for the offers guys, I do see the parts of everything, I was just wondering what the box set was, and if I was missing something in it.

already got sets on watchlists on ebay, still debating replacing the set or not. I might not have room for a loop, so I'd end up doing a wall display maybe

I mean a single 50 year old that plays with trains is a bit disturbing, right gomez?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 09 2020 :  11:08:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Totally gonzo. Welcome to our world.

I believe nostalgia has much to do with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h7aoBNCmlPQ
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 10 2020 :  10:40:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 09 2020 :  11:08:41 PM

yeah, if I start buying, I am hitting you up first, just read thru your auction posts

this all started looking for how-to videos for turning brass bushings on a lathe for a skillsaw
which evolved to turning brass parts for model steam engines (not trains, think stuart models)
which got into the ride-on steam powered model trains
which got me trying to identify the spirit of 76 steam engine I had has a child (Sierra Railroad #3)
which got me to this post, trying to figure out what was all the trains I got one x-mas
two years later star wars came out, and solved the x-mas list decision making for nearly a decade

so I didn't have the biggest love for ho scale models(only two years of exposure), but I do on occasion check out local hobby shops for "stuff" and glance thru the train section

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 11 2020 :  9:45:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
ok, I might have found a lead

talked to my dad, it appears I got train related stuff for two christmases, a set one year and the centenial engine about two years later

still looking in catalogs did not help, but googling 1974 tyco train set popped up a set that almost looks EXACTLY like the set I remembered

the westinghouse set
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/436004807674375914

what matches
single engine
a box car
single dome tanker with pipe rail
three tractor flat
caboose
signs and poles
power pack

what does not match
bridge and trestle set**
white boxcar (pretty sure mine was rust red)
gravity feed car(I probably had it, but don't remember it)

this is the oddest one, as you would think if you had the bridge and trestle you'd set it up like that. what I DO remember is that when we had it set up it was 4 straights and curves for 4 corners...that's the same amount of track, right?

I would not have cared about the westinghouse car, I was a kid, what kid cares about appliances

Edited by - tater1337 on October 11 2020 9:47:05 PM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 11 2020 :  10:14:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Great going thru your childhood memories about what you had. Funny that you said as a kid you would not have cared about the Westinghouse box car... Thinking about that leads me to wonder what drove my interests in what pieces I bought as a kid.. Maybe the Tyco Maxwell House coffeee car that I really favored, was it the nice colors that attracted me?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 11 2020 :  11:14:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 09 2020 :  11:08:41 PM

Absolutely gonzo

I think I wanna do the Track Layout Expander
I mean if you are gonna live you childhood dreams, why not live the ones to the fullest
anyone kno wwhere there is a PDF of the instructions?
4x8 are is gonna be HARD to free up in my 2 bdrm apt
I'm single, I don't need the dining table, right?

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 12 2020 :  12:27:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great work tracking down what was likely your set! Now the hunt
begins in earnest.

JMOP, I actually did the Track Layout Expander. It is certainly
nostalgic. I grew tired of it fairly quickly because the profusion
of turnouts frequently caused derailments. Also, the inner loop
with its facing #4 switches was very hard to traverse without
derailing. But, that being said, if it scratches that itch, you should
do it. Just don't use superglue affixing the tracks!

There is an interesting opinion out there that the 4x8 is really
a poor use of space, as one ends up with a big gap in the
middle and the 4x8 requires 6 x 10 feet of actual real estate to
get around. Just food for thought.

With that big spot in the middle, I ended up making a Tyco
trolley loop, which I still enjoy today.

We hope that you post us on your progress. This is EXACTLY
the kind of thing we love!

Edited by - Chops124 on October 12 2020 12:29:36 AM

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 12 2020 :  10:53:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:

If interested, I can help you make up a set for $20 plus nominal shipping, for
everything short of power pack and locomotives.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 09 2020 :  9:25:09 PM

sent you a PM

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 12 2020 :  10:58:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:
Great going thru your childhood memories about what you had. Funny that you said as a kid you would not have cared about the Westinghouse box car... Thinking about that leads me to wonder what drove my interests in what pieces I bought as a kid.. Maybe the Tyco Maxwell House coffeee car that I really favored, was it the nice colors that attracted me?

Originally posted by walt - October 11 2020 :  10:14:15 PM

mine were fiddly bits, like the tractors in the flatbed, or the handwheel that broke off on the arco tanker
oh and the linkages in the steam engine? yes please :)

we didn't have any train traffic near me when I grew up, so stuff like trainspotting was impossible, so hard to build interest, but a bulldozer pushing concrete pipes off a flatbed, that was neat(and will be part of my future layout, now that i've decided to pull the trigger on such)

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 13 2020 :  03:17:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Excuse me, did someone mention MAXWELL HOUSE?

Good to the last drop, baby!!!! Wooooooooooooah!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 13 2020 :  6:24:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
another beverage company used Good To The Last Drop too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Help Topic Next Topic: Is This Custom?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000