Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 N-Scale Santa Fe Paradise
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: More Auto Train Topic Next Topic: N-Scale Alpine Railway updates
Page: of 2

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - December 12 2020 :  10:28:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:
In HO scale grades are usually better with horn hooks the knuckle couplers just come right uncoupled whenever there's a grade

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - December 12 2020 :  09:25:17 AM

yeah, the horn hook have theat tab the decoupler peg sticks to that keeps one hook from going past a certain elevation, the mating hook then keeps the other end from doing the same thing, so they are loosely locked and cannot decouple easily on grades
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 12 2020 :  11:46:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
My dear bud likes to run high scale stuff. Presently he is engaged in installing the new proto scale
Kadee couplers on his several hundred units. Bless his heart, I am glad it makes him happy. But
I declare I spend more time running my dollar Tyco around all those guys with the Accurail and Walthers and
who knows what else. I am a horn hook man for life.

https://youtu.be/KXWmNmqAzqU

I swear I did not set out intending to laugh at his coupler troubles, but take after take we were trying to get
a nice shot of his ATSF consist, and the coupler kept on popping no matter what he did to it. Just a few microns
out of phase and down the hill she went, time after time. Meanwhile, my old Tyco junk is sweeping miles.

Edited by - Chops124 on December 12 2020 11:52:23 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 12 2020 :  5:31:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Go Horn Hooks!!

Sorry, had to say it.

Well, in N-Scale the most popular coupler similar to the horn-hook in HO-Scale, is called "Rapido Coupler." And, I'll swear by them, much like HO horn hooks. However, the way this layout is, the grades present a problem mainly with locomotive traction, and then the switch tracks (really where they are placed) can cause derailments. Oh well, it is all in fun.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - December 12 2020 :  7:36:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Yeah those n scale knuckle couplers just look so tiny I don't even know how they would work
Those rapido couplers look like they would work well though

Edited by - Erik The Train Nerd on December 12 2020 7:50:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 12 2020 :  7:37:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
KADEE POWAH!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 12 2020 :  7:56:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I like those old loop and hoods even better. They went out after the horn \
hook. The British stuff has a bar and hook affair, but with bad regularity the
the buffer bars would rub against each other on curves causing derailments. Have to be very thoughtful how to match up those couplers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 12 2020 :  11:09:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yeah, loop n' hooks worked fairly well back in the day.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 13 2020 :  5:53:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Yeah, loop n' hooks worked fairly well back in the day.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - December 12 2020 :  11:09:10 PM

these?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 13 2020 :  7:29:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yup, love 'em. You can wave them over your head and they won't uncouple.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 13 2020 :  10:34:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yep. lol.

But, still, horn hooks and rapido couplers (N-Scale) are my first love.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 01 2021 :  09:48:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I finally figured out what this layout originally was!!

It was made by American-Plastics....as unpainted basic layout terrain, and named "High Sierra." Here's a link to what it once sold for:
https://www.hobbylinc.com/american-plastics-terrain-for-trains-layouthigh-sierra-n-scale-model-railroad-scenery-1000

I've got some big plans for this layout this year (2021) that all haven't arrived yet. Please stay tuned!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 24 2021 :  07:34:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Enjoy the latest update video concerning my N-Scale 2' x 4' Santa Fe Paradise layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIr2n4yfhUg

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 15 2021 :  2:09:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
After much consideration, I decided to sell this layout on Ebay, and it ended up going to a great home a few weeks ago; to a model railroader who plans on turning it into a DCC fictitious layout of his own.

I still saved all of my 'American' N-Scale trains, for possibly a future layout, but for now, I prefer to focus on enjoying the layouts I already have. "Santa Fe Paradise" was a fun revamp project, that I'll never forget.

Edited by - RP model railroads on August 15 2021 2:09:51 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 15 2021 :  5:06:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A smart move, it can get overwhelming to try to focus on too many projects
at once. Believe, I know. I have five six layouts in various stages of development
at the moment. Trying to get loose of any given one is like trying to sell puppies:
they are so hard to let go of. Good deal. It will be there if you decide to
circle back on it. Sounds too, like it had a bad issue with a track that would
caused a lot of derailments. At the end of the day, you'd have had to tear the
whole thing down and rebuild it, is my guess.

I even have a stash of O scale stuff, yards of it, but to build that up would be
really, really expensive, and I tried a micro O layout, and it just didn't have the
ping that I wanted. I should probably suck it up and put on FeeBay.

Edited by - Chops124 on August 15 2021 5:11:26 PM
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: More Auto Train Topic Next Topic: N-Scale Alpine Railway updates  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000