Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 30 ]  [ Total: 30 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 hot motor trouble
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua 75th Anniversary Set Topic Next Topic: HO Scale - Mantua - Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. 2-6-6-  

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - August 22 2020 :  3:16:35 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
So my new mantra Davenport switcher arrived in the mail yesterday and I ran it a little bit and I thought that it could use a bit of servicing. the motor was getting hot so I took it apart and cleaned out the old lubricant and replaced it and cleaned the commutator. but it has still gotten hot quickly whenever I have ran it since. It also has quite a strong ozone smell when I run it. what should I do?
Edited by - Erik The Train Nerd on August 22 2020 4:02:48 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 22 2020 :  4:00:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Erik, can ya please use some commas and periods!

There might be some oil or something on the commutator. That would cause a smell. Make sure there is NO oil or lubricant on the commutator! Make sure everything rolls freely with no binds, as this can overwork the motor.

Pics?

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on August 22 2020 4:01:36 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - August 22 2020 :  11:32:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
It could be the magnet is getting weak with age. Getting to be a common problem in my experience with older locomotives.

If it's an open frame motor, you could replace it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 23 2020 :  08:32:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I've got two mantuas I might remotor, they run sluggish. If you do this, let me know how it goes.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - August 23 2020 :  11:17:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I probably won't be remotering as I want to keep it original because of its rarity. What I'm doing currently as I stop it every once in a while and give it a little break to cool down.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 23 2020 :  11:52:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I probably won't be remotering as I want to keep it original because of its rarity. What I'm doing currently as I stop it every once in a while and give it a little break to cool down.

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - August 23 2020 :  11:17:55 AM

I'm assuming it has an MU-2, right?

Sometimes you have to sacrifice rarity for true enjoyment. If it means giving up some of it's original history to make sure it runs well for a long time, I'd totally go for it. But it is up to you. I'd just hate to see it burn out or something.

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - August 23 2020 :  12:29:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
I have some somewhat rare older Rivarossi locos that the motors were overheating on, one to the point where it would eventually stop after awhile.

It's nice to retain the original motors if you can, but if they don't run right or need extraordinary TLC, it makes them a headache to run and I generally will leave them on the display shelf.

I recently remotored them and they are a blast to run. So cool to see these old locos motoring around the layout with the performance of a newer one.

I can see the other side of the story though, it's your call if keeping everything original is important.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 23 2020 :  2:44:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I have some somewhat rare older Rivarossi locos that the motors were overheating on, one to the point where it would eventually stop after awhile.

It's nice to retain the original motors if you can, but if they don't run right or need extraordinary TLC, it makes them a headache to run and I generally will leave them on the display shelf.

I recently remotored them and they are a blast to run. So cool to see these old locos motoring around the layout with the performance of a newer one.

I can see the other side of the story though, it's your call if keeping everything original is important.

Originally posted by Crown Vic - August 23 2020 :  12:29:13 PM

Right on!

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 23 2020 :  3:09:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

There might be some oil or something on the commutator. That would cause a smell. Make sure there is NO oil or lubricant on the commutator! Make sure everything rolls freely with no binds, as this can overwork the motor.

Pics?

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - August 22 2020 :  4:00:56 PM

I learned that the hard way. I put just a little bit too much lubricant on a Fleischmann 4-6-2 I got a while back, and due to the oil leaking into the commutator, the engine was quite literally smoking. Thankfully, I was able to fix the issue by completely disassembling the motor and cleaning any oil off of it before it caused any damage. It now runs beautifully, but it could’ve ended badly.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on August 23 2020 3:09:57 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 23 2020 :  3:33:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
close save!

Erik let's see this switcher!!!

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - August 23 2020 :  6:44:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist
Replacing the magnet is best; but if don't want to disassemble the motor unit and if you have enough clearance in the locomotive shell, a weak magnet can be enhanced by gluing a strong magnet next to it. Glue because add-on magnet polls need to be oriented the same as the factory magnet: north to north and south to south. (If the add-on magnet is backwards the motor may not run or even run backwards.) My old Mantua/TYCO metal Shatrks were running slow and hot so I glued some salvaged magnets to the motor units and they ran better. I have recently replaced some Shark magnets with 1/2 x 1/4 x 1/2 inch neodymium magnets rated over 9 lb. holding power. The motors run great but the magnets are too strong; the motor units swing on their pivot points grabbing a steel plate that connects the trucks to the body. I shoukd try 1/2 x 1/8 x 1/2 inch neodymium magnet rated at only 5 lb. holding power.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - August 23 2020 :  7:10:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Pics?

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - August 22 2020 :  4:00:56 PM

I learned that the hard way. I put just a little bit too much lubricant on a Fleischmann 4-6-2 I got a while back, and due to the oil leaking into the commutator, the engine was quite literally smoking. Thankfully, I was able to fix the issue by completely disassembling the motor and cleaning any oil off of it before it caused any damage. It now runs beautifully, but it could’ve ended badly.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - August 23 2020 :  3:09:39 PM

I have cleaned the commutator a ton so I don't think it's that it's probably weak magnets thank you everybody for the information.

Edited by - Erik The Train Nerd on August 23 2020 7:11:41 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 23 2020 :  9:11:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
That magnet idea sounds good. I might try that.
  Previous Topic: Mantua 75th Anniversary Set Topic Next Topic: HO Scale - Mantua - Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. 2-6-6-  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000