Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 A day at the narrow gauge in Hasslar
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: is this for real Topic Next Topic: You tube channel  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 04 2020 :  11:50:19 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-a7bDJszj8

I have a mixed reaction to this video.

On the plus side, it is interesting backwoods German narrow gauge. It is state of the art, with
some kind of CGI done to brilliant effect.

On the other hand, it represents the level of modeling in all the glossies, which honestly, leave
me bored, as its so good as to be unobtainable. These fellows must have unlimited time,
an enormous budget, and cutting edge technical ability. For me, it's like being fed cheese cake
three times daily. It is a little too rich. Just when I think it can't get any more sophistique,
there is a scene from the driver's seat, through the window. Ok, Ok, Ok, you're awesome.

Then when I am completely exhausted, out comes a perfect three car tram at a scale 7 MPH.
Apparently, to achieve the flawless motion, graphite is applied to the rails in micro amounts
for seamless connectivity.

The truck driving on, and backing off the weigh scale probably costs more than I make in a year.

Wait, there's more: "7mm (1:43 scale) layout featuring standard and narrow gauge, with radio controlled truck. Winner of Best 7mm Layout at Warley and many others. Built by Giles Favell in 2011/12, this shows the first of many radio control vehicles - lorries, vans cranes, traction engine and cars, that I have now built in this scale. There will be a book out on building these small scale R/C vehicles in the near future."

I might be able to take some pointers from here and there, but that's about it. Low Brow that I
am, I get more enjoyment from watching Erik the Train Nerd, Blaxland Valley, or Retro II, and
if I really want to get shaken up, SCShaggy's fabulous railway.

Am I just being a cry baby, or does anyone else get a little overwhelmed?

Edited by - Chops124 on July 04 2020 11:56:00 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - July 04 2020 :  2:35:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
Yes, you're a crybaby...and yes it can be overwhelming.

I see what you are saying, but in effect you are critiquing them in the opposite way that we are often criticized.

I personally don't get into the ultra over the top detail on my own layout, but its enjoyable to watch those that do.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 04 2020 :  2:56:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Yeah.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 04 2020 :  5:17:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very nice video. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Seems to integrate CGI and the model train action well.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 04 2020 :  5:32:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yeah, has some interesting equipment, and the operations are
quite well done. I can only imagine it was built at enormous
cost and a team of engineers. Speaking of which, I need to
start taking some photos for tomorrow. Need to put in some
time on Henley, too. I am procrastinating. Once I get started
I enjoy myself, but it is the starting, like a train on a steep hill...

I washed the two Huskies and cleaned the backyard, oiled the
swamp cooler, all in an effort to procrastinate. How odd.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 04 2020 :  6:23:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Well, it all depends on your perspective on this, and all things in life. You can either congratulate other people in their success, or dwell on the fact that what they've done is most likely something you can't or simply won't achieve. I personally think that the video and layout are incredible, and that the modelers have done an awesome job, but is it something I would like to do or am I upset by it, not at all. At the end of the day, I'm proud of what I've accomplished with RETRO TYCO II, the EVRR, and Alpenbahn, and hope to learn from others to improve upon what I've done and to get even better. An "ultimate" railroad has never been in my dreams and therefore I'm not affected negatively.

Chops, I have found that you often think deep about a lot of things, and that is funny, because I also can do this at times. And there is nothing wrong with that, but remember, when it all boils down, there is something in common between you, me, everyone on this forum, model railroaders around the world, and yes, those brilliant modelers in the video - a love of trains.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 04 2020 :  10:01:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Its impressive, but yeah, I'm bored. I don't fancy watching these high end locos go around these humongous layouts. I'm more into watching the how it's made stuff. People building their locomotives, constructing their layouts, etc.

However this layout is a bit different. It is backwoods narrow gauge, which you don't see too often. It also features some SJ (Swedish) locomotives. It looks like an interesting layout, and because it's "A day at..." There is somewhat of a story going on. A story that tells the days work on the line. Combined with the CGI it makes it more interesting than the club layouts you usually see. It can be overwhelming, in the sense that "These people can do it and I can't" but it's model railroading and there are no rules. I'm sure the creators would be just as interested in Armadilloville.

Search "Railway Mania" on YouTube. Awesome channel. Simply awesome. Exactly what I've been looking for!

So yeah, I'm with ya. It's sort of the thing where I would get more enjoyment visiting it in person, rather than watching it.

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 05 2020 09:42:32 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 04 2020 :  11:04:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I click the link and I see a fairly small and highly detailed narrow gauge layout in a scale twice that of HO, so that it's conducive to detailed modeling. I think a lot of patience and effort went into it, spread over I don't know how much time. I can remember famous, published modelers in the past with tiny but exquisite layouts. I'm not sure this kind of modeling is out of reach of mere mortals, if it's what they're into.

Seeing the remarks about remote control trucks, I'm not sure I'm seeing what this thread is about.

Regardless of all that, I think that seeing marvelous results is not overwhelming, if you're not trying to keep up with them. Bob Walker, who writes the Scratch Builder's Workshop column in Railroad Model Craftsman wrote one of his columns on "hobby fringes." They're the subhobbies within a hobby that have a fringe following. I think that Model Railroading is loaded with fringes. Collecting Tyco is a fringe. Old school modeling is a fringe. The small but exquisite narrow gauge shelf layout is a fringe.

I think that to really excel in one of those fringe specialties, you have to pour your heart and soul into it. Do you want a layout with remote control cars and trucks driving the roads? You'll need to devote all your spare time and disposable income to it. Do you want a superbly detailed layout? You'll need to keep the size manageable and do just one thing. You can't pour a lifetime of hobby time into that, and pursue British railroading, a museum display of El Paso, a collection of Penn Central stuff and a membership in a club.

I for one, pursue what I like to do and can do. There's a whole lot more that I like than will fit in my life, so the next best thing is to do the hobby I choose and vicariously enjoy the other possibilities as pursued by others. Yeah, it's a bit of the curse of Tantalus seeing cool ideas others have executed to the point of greatness and know that I can't do that without giving up whatever they gave up to get there. On the other hand, my highly refined sense of mediocrity is getting used to the fact that, whatever I do, I know someone who does it better.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 05 2020 :  3:26:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I appreciate these thoughtful replies, and am just a little relieved that
I'm not the only one who finds it just a wee bit boring. Perhaps it's a
bit of reverse snobbery.

These guys must have installed every blade of grass individually and every
leaf one at a time. The thing with the coal truck is astonishing, it's like
Tyco US 1 on steroids.

Moving this thing from show to show, and blowing out the competition,
must require a dedicated vehicle with special suspension. I imagined it
is insured for a large sum, as it should be.

I didn't catch the Swedish angle, that's interesting.

Just a few decades ago, at least when I was younger in the '80's, the
Japanese only ran their rivet-for-rivet brass pieces without paint. It
was considered faux pas, or rude, to try to outmatch your neighbor
by painting it. Similairly, layouts, had no scenery or structures.

Baseball, a Japanese obsession since decades before 1941, was
played in a unique manner. It was considered an excellent match
when the score ended in a tie, thus neither side would lose face.

Space is at a premium in this island nation, and it appears that
most layouts were at model train stores, and enthusiasts would
line up in orderly fashion and take turns and admiring their
neighbor's trains.

I don't follow Japanese modeling very closely, but at some point,
they took the gloves off and the level of detail, and painting, is
world class museum quality.

I was interested in how other modellers reacted to Hasslarod,
and I got a good cross section of perspective. I'm sure one
thing we can all agree upon, it is state-of-the-art. If it ever
gets retired, we hope it goes to a good museum of Swedish History.

The above photo is of a Japanese Hotel that caters to model railroad
enthusiasts. BYOT. Or, I could see it catering to enthusiast parties
where a group buys into the cost of the room for an evening to
enjoy their trains in different layout venues.

A Japanese model train layout. I did not check if it is a private owner or club layou.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 05 2020 :  4:15:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
The Japanese are AMAZING at modeling. I wonder what their secret is.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 05 2020 :  10:58:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That sounds like the only hotel I'd ever like to spend an evening in.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - July 06 2020 :  4:26:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Video has kind of has a Polar Express feel to it.

Manager - I would like a room with a Viewliner

Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 06 2020 :  5:53:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
The Japanese are AMAZING at modeling. I wonder what their secret is.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 05 2020 :  4:15:45 PM

Japanese were amazing at a lot of things, still are. World might look very different
today had they had better production capacities and were a little less ambitious.

I had better shut up at this point. However, if you ever want a good read, this
historical novel pretty much nails it. I recommend it for young adults, or anyone
else with an interest in history. This novel might give you some insight.

"Set in a maelstrom of personal temptations and mortal enemies, with a remarkable anti-hero caught in a land he can never call his own, DECEMBER 6 is a triumph of imagination, history, and riveting storytelling. Amid the imperialist fervor of late 1941 Tokyo, Harry Niles is a man with a mission -- self-preservation."

December 6: A Novel: Smith, Martin Cruz: 9780671775926 ...
  Previous Topic: is this for real Topic Next Topic: You tube channel  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000