Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Installing a British Canal and Lock
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Digs Topic Next Topic: Getting across Armododilloville  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 29 2020 :  12:56:06 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Poor lighting, got the canal down, need to carefully add water effects and a
proper boat. Happy wishes to you, Ken. The Peppercorn Express will be
gracing a video as it charges past this lock.

Edited by - Chops124 on June 29 2020 01:05:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 29 2020 :  09:12:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
How about real water.....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 29 2020 :  09:38:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice work, Chops!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 30 2020 :  2:08:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Installing real water, hah, hah, hah, that's a good one!

I think Faller used to make a grist mill with a water wheel that used running
water in HO.

For one thing, the canal section would need to be water proof and tight,
meaning plastic. Very difficult to obtain rock wall detail, which here is
paper upon foam. Even though I carefully sealed the various cracks,
a substantial amount leaked. I had to put a fan on it to hasten the setting.

The other thing, like using flour for "snow," is that water and organics
attract microbes and bugs and algae.

That being said, Blax, if anyone could pull it off, it would be you.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 30 2020 :  2:33:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
would be easy to male one of these

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 30 2020 :  3:23:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's what I've got the materials for, shall give it a whirl tonight, Ken.
That guy has a lot of talent. The edges and port hole alignments are
spot on.

Edited by - Chops124 on July 01 2020 9:49:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 30 2020 :  3:40:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
a friend of mine used 4 or 5mm eyelets for windows,ken

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around

Edited by - catfordken on June 30 2020 3:44:52 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 30 2020 :  3:51:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Back when I was on instagram, I knew a guy who was making a logging cam and did use real water for the log water.

Thanks for the kind words chops, Idk if I could though!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 30 2020 :  5:41:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow, it is really coming along, Chops!!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 01 2020 :  11:18:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks, RP. This is an attempt to build a paper canal boat. Quite a popular medium in the UK, the entire
thing is made of paper, with the exception of a tidbit of sawed off wooden Q tip for a smock jack.
It took me five hours armed only with a pair of bandage scissors, a broken wooden Q tip, and Elmers.
Not too bad, though with the proper tools creating exact edges the results, like above, could be better.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 01 2020 :  11:32:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Looks great!

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - July 01 2020 :  2:13:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
WOW! The canal and boat look great Chops.
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 01 2020 :  9:34:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
WHOA. Awesome work, Chops - looks great!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 01 2020 :  9:45:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks guys, ‘preciate that. Truth be told I was pushing
myself to go further than I able. I am pretty much a
shake-the-box kind of guy who is stuck in the glorious
‘70’s. I had conceptualized doing a lock maybe 30
years ago, and in fits and starts acquired bits and pieces
over the last two years, uncertain how to wedge this in
On an already crowded layout of British OO. Had a number
of false starts that had to be removed- looked and fit awful.

Last week woke up, fatigued as usual from a week of night
shift, asked for my daily Guidance, picked up a brush saw
and cut a length of old particle board and made a small
shelf for the canal to sit upon. Within a few hours it started
to look like something from my boyhood living in the UK.
A few hours later pretty much done. Need to add a flower
bed to the toll house and a steering tiller to the boat.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 14 2020 :  5:37:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Adding this three inch shelf, hafted off from a piece of scrap fiber board, that I had been
tripping over for years, enabled me to graft on a quintessential canal scene for which there
was no real estate available on the 4 x 8.

The boat is made entirely from paper. You can buy these "card kits" on line, typically from a
UK supplier, and print them at home, and there you are. The level of detail and dimension
in these things is remarkable.

Edited by - Chops124 on July 14 2020 5:39:01 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 14 2020 :  10:18:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks awesome, and I'm glad to see you've added Woodland Scenics grass - it really adds to the realism of this layout. Please consider some WS clump foliage...would do great blending in the corners of your layout into the backgrounds.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 14 2020 :  11:01:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Really Nice Chops!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: New Digs Topic Next Topic: Getting across Armododilloville  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000