Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 A new project? (Projects update)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Anderson Paint Shop Projects Topic Next Topic: RESTORING & CUSTOMIZING Old Pola Freight Station
Page: of 3

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 04 2020 :  2:35:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A true perfectionist! What a huge amount of effort you do to get it
just right, impressive!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 04 2020 :  3:53:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Thanks guys! Yeah, If I'm taking on a project like this, I want it done right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 18 2020 :  10:16:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist

I said mark my words!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 18 2020 :  12:09:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Impressive work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - December 18 2020 :  12:39:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Here's the real thing. Beware of counterfeits!

But I do like the jade stripe you added. I have two more of these 62 footers by Athearn to build for the JFCX but will do them in jade with a black drip stripe by the domes.

Edited by - el rojo grande on December 18 2020 12:42:50 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 18 2020 :  8:29:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Thanks guys! I was contemplating on JFCX or JFX reporting marks. looks like I made the right choice going for JFCX!

Maybe I'll make an all jade one sometime in the future... yours does look nice!

I just need the frame, and she'll be complete!

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 18 2020 :  9:58:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very nice. Takes patience and time to get those realistic cars ready to run.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - January 27 2021 :  10:03:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Long time no see tyco forum!

I guarantee this is going to get zero attention but whatever, it may help someone out in the future.

Last time we took a look at my MDC consolidation I had purchased months ago, I was "de - weathering it". Long story short, it just wasnt working for me. It looked ugly. I hated it, so I set it aside and worked on other stuff.

One day I decided enough was enough. This engine had been sitting for far too long, and it was time to get moving. And this time, I was going to do it right. It's amazing how much we can improve our skills in such short periods of time.

So I disassembled the engine and sentenced it to the DOT 3.

Once the whole engine had been rid of the old paint, I made some changes to the pilot. I filed away these odd two protruding metal things that served no purpose, looked weird, and arent on the real C-9, so they're gone now.

I had an implied uncoupling lever on the front on the old version, but the middle ring part was large and awkward, and looked terrible. I also hadn't bothered to make those funny shaped parts on the end. I dont know how to describe them, but you'll see it on the completed bar.

However, to make this new coupler bar, I had to move the end stanchions in some. So I filled old holes and drilled new ones as shown above.

As shown here, I have the stanchions in, and am making the bar. You can also see the funny end part I was talking about earlier.

Here I've got the bar completed and installed. With crisp sharp edges, and all the right parts, this looks sooooooo much better than what I tried to do a few months back. Go compare the two!

Next, I added the two step details, and applied a coat of my favorite krylon primer to the frame parts.

Once it was all said and done, matte black followed. This is the only picture I have of it in that state

This post is getting long, and I'm scared I'm going to accidentally close the tab and lose all my progress, so I'll continue in the next post.

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - January 27 2021 :  10:07:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
So far so good!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 27 2021 :  2:33:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice work!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 27 2021 :  6:06:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Looks good. Nice smooth paint job, too.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - January 27 2021 :  8:56:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
Looks Awesome!
Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 27 2021 :  9:21:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Before much longer you will be scratch building things
from brass stock. Astonishing attention to detail, such as
the correct end stanchion placement and the uncoupling
ring.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - January 27 2021 :  9:42:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Thanks a ton for all the wonderful feedback. The posts will be continued tomorrow!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - February 01 2021 :  5:41:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Where did we leave off? Ah, the frame was completed and painted. Once again, the locomotive sat untouched for some time, as I attended to other things. Then, two weeks ago, I went to the first train show of 2021, which was also the first train show I had been to since covid began. Let's just say, it was a very good start to the year! I may share the things I got under the flea market finds thread, but uh, I have the big lazy sooooo yeah

One of the things I pretty much stole at the show was an MDC 2-8-0 unbuilt kit and an MDC Santa Fe built locomotive kit. Got them and their parts for 40 bucks total. I was ecstatic.

A bunch of very useful parts and details were included, and upon further inspection I found that a lot of the parts were for the 2-8-0, which had holes drilled by the previous owner, and the parts ready to be added. So, I pulled out the two consolidations and got to work.

I began adding the details, but the first glaring issue was the compressor. It was wayyyy too high.

Lowering it would be a challenge as the "piping" for the injector is broken up to accommodate for the compressor.

I contemplated leaving it as is, but it bugged me too much, so I filled in the holes, bent a new wire, and glued the compressor on below.

Much better!

At this point, I also fitted the handrails and the injector piping.

And assembled the steam turret (I think it's called a turret)

And then the headlight (I drilled a new lower hole and filled in the old hole to get that SP low headlight arrangement)

Next I glued on the new number boards, they aren't perfect, but they'll do.

I threw on the pilot truck for testing as well.

I guess I didnt take any pictures of the marker lights, but I did drill new holes and insert some better castings which you will see in the coming posts.

And just like that, it was done! Next up, paint!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on February 01 2021 5:46:00 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 01 2021 :  9:06:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome work! Can't wait to see what you do with this thing once it is painted.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - February 02 2021 :  09:22:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
That looks great!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: New Anderson Paint Shop Projects Topic Next Topic: RESTORING & CUSTOMIZING Old Pola Freight Station  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000