Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 A new project? (Projects update)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Anderson Paint Shop Projects Topic Next Topic: RESTORING & CUSTOMIZING Old Pola Freight Station
Page: of 3

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 23 2020 :  10:31:29 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
believe it or not, the engines and locos on my projects table are dwindling. There are only a few more:

Stuff that I haven't really started or needs work:

Aristo Craft 0-8-0: I don't even want to talk about this son of a female dog waste of a good president Jackson!

John Bull: Completely tearing this guy apart to try and fix the locomotive's axles which have too much friction, and the tender's axle which is slightly bent causing it to wobble going forward.

Original Jupiter Remotor: I bought a cheap can motor from China to remotor my old Jupiter just for the heck of it. Haven't started it yet although the tender is disassembled.

TYCO Plymouth Transformers Diesel: I may just get a donor chassis and plop the shell on it. I've tried everything and it still doesn't move. I'd get rid of it but it is a sentimental piece to me.

Stuff that is almost done:

Aristo Craft 2-4-2: Painting today, should be finished by the end of this week

Mantua/Tyco 0-4-0 Shifter (Blaxland #5): With Redneck Justin's help, I concluded that the Mantua 2-6-6-2's smokebox front is a perfect fit! Ordered one on Thursday, hoping it arrives today. If it does it just needs to be painted silver and then have the headlight installed.

Bachmann 0-6-0 Saddle tanker: Done, but needs a cab. This one will most likely be sitting on the table for awhile.

There are a few locos sitting in "The Graveyard" which I may do stuff with but am not sure what. So those do not count as projects yet. I have been trying to grind metal out of this stupid bachmann 0-6-0 USRA weight to fit in a PECO BR80 shell but I'm slowly abandoning the project as it has been sitting for more than a year. Maybe I'll take a dremel to that weight sometime. Idk.

After all that, there are only two locos that I have that are on the workbench awaiting their fate. And interestingly enough, they may end up being cobbled together.

One, Is a Frateschi/ Model Power 4-6-0. I sort of wish it was the 2-8-0, but oh well. I have seen some people do fun things with these engines, so I am inspired. Here's some pics:

If I don't kitbash my 4-6-0 and my Tyco 4-6-0 I may paint it up like #144. I would do the green of #112, but I have no Green paint.

The second loco is a Mantua/tyco Dixie bell. I really like this engine but It has always been a shame that it isn't HO scale. It's OO. So it is much bigger than it should be. The only other Mfgr. that makes a Sierra 4-6-0 is Arbour models, and they are expensive and hard to find. So I was thinking, why not try and kitbash the frateschi 4-6-0 and the Tyco 4-6-0 to try and make a proper HO scale Sierra 3?

The only reason I have not looked into this further is because I cannot find HO scale drawings of Sierra 3, or any rogers 4-6-0. Please let me know if you have or can find any.

That's all for now folks!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on June 25 2020 10:03:42 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 23 2020 :  11:29:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Played around a bit in Pixlr and came up with this:

Here is how mine currently looks: (Not my photo)

Here is how it will look when I finish it:

As you can see I have made minor mods.

Red - Removed Parts
Blue - Replaced/ Added Parts
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 23 2020 :  6:30:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, that is some list. That 10 wheeler, is that tender drive?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 23 2020 :  6:50:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Wow, that is some list. That 10 wheeler, is that tender drive?

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 23 2020 :  6:30:27 PM

Used to be longer!

Yes, it is tender drive. Runs well, and doesnt have a bulky look like the tender drive Pemco/IHC/Mehano 2-6-0 and tyco chattanooga.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 25 2020 :  10:11:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
New Project!

Roundhouse Harriman 2-8-0

I will be swapping out the tender for a vanderbilt

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 25 2020 :  10:35:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
WOW!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 25 2020 :  11:36:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I know, It's going to be a cool cat when done. I'm trying to make one of the espee 2-8-0's

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 25 2020 :  8:01:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Good luck on this project. Please keep us posted.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 25 2020 :  8:55:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Good luck on this project. Please keep us posted.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - June 25 2020 :  8:01:20 PM

I'll try not to finish too fast!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 25 2020 :  10:16:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Those Harriman consolidations are sweet looking engines. It'll be nice to see the results.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 26 2020 :  7:59:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Finished the Shifter, Blaxland #5 at last.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 26 2020 :  10:12:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
NICE
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 27 2020 :  08:53:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
NICE

Originally posted by RP model railroads - June 26 2020 :  10:12:53 PM

Thanks!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 27 2020 :  11:42:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Fine workmanship.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 28 2020 :  08:58:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Fine workmanship.

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 27 2020 :  11:42:33 PM

Thanks Chops!

So, again with this stupid 4-6-0, I was still set on making it look "espee american", but I may just go about making it Brazilian, ironically in tune with it's original manufacturer. Why such an odd change? Well, a few days ago, there was a new episode of Big World, Big Adventures! from Thomas the Tank Engine that I heard about. I was particularly, (and only) interested in watching it, because there were some new renders of American locomotives in it! This episode: The Forest Engines featured two US - export 4-6-0's. Marcia and Marcio, who are based on this:

"Brasileira de Preservação Ferroviária wood-burning 4-6-0 steam locomotive no. 215"

I do like the greens and reds of Marcia and Marcio, and it looks like the boiler is SPOT ON for #215, with dome placement, the cab, etc. So maybe I'll go this route instead. A Brazilian locomotive is more interesting than a run - of - the - mill US locomotive. Basically I would be making #215, but with the colors of Marcia/Marcio. What do you guys think? American or Brazilian?

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on June 28 2020 09:01:23 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 28 2020 :  3:01:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Go Brazil. No one does that!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 28 2020 :  3:37:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Go Brazil. No one does that!

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 28 2020 :  3:01:57 PM

I think I will....

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 29 2020 :  2:57:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
The 2-8-0 kit arrived in the mail today. Everything looked complete and in order so I set to work. First order of buisness was to deflash everything. And oh boy, is there a lot to do! I spent about 45 minutes removing the flash from the metal boiler, cylinders, frame, and the sprue joint on the cab. Everything looks pretty good now. I'm going to begin assembling the chassis as it says in the instructions.

I did accidentally break off one of the metal nubs for I think the marker lights (I think you can see it on this side). But hopefully I wont run into trouble without it. I'll also have to see how the headlight looks if I want to fill in the hole given and drill a new one for a more SP style low headlight. And as stated I'll be swapping out the tender for a Vanderbilt sometime in the future. I will assemble the loco, then disassemble, paint, and reassemble.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 29 2020 :  4:37:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Cant say I didnt think things would be smooth sailing! But then again, a smooth sea does not make a good sailor. Continuing work on the chassis, I screwed in the connecting rods.

So far so good. The wheels are rolling freely. However the trouble came when I put together the cylinder and yoke. I mated the cross head with the side rod, and tested it. Turns out, the crosshead bar thingy that goes into the cylinders is not long enough!

This isnt good. When it slips out, it then jams the mechanism. This is a simple fix, just a matter of gluing something circular to the end, but I will wait until the boiler is on. Maybe that will change something.

Then, I ran into the next issue! the screw used to fasten the yoke is too thin. This is also simple. Just a matter of finding a bigger screw.

I will try and fix these issues today so I can hopefully move to the body tomorrow.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 29 2020 :  6:13:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Also if anyone has any tips or tricks on how to improve this engine, I am all ears. Fixed the yoke/ crosshead problems but now the motor jams when it comes in contact with the idler gear. I've checked it over, loosened up things but it just full on jams. When I turn the gear with my hands it feels loose enough, I dont know what the issue is! Help!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 29 2020 :  7:08:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
If the mesh isn't right between the worm and the idler gear, you might get that:
If the worm barely touches the idler gear, it might sometimes try to skip a tooth and jam. At the opposite extreme, with the threads of the worm scraping the bottom of the idler gear teeth, you could come to a point on the gear where it's just too tight to turn.

You can engage the gears more deeply by shimming the back of the motor up, or not as deep by shimming up the front of the motor.

With the motor mounted, look closely at the mesh between the worm and the idler gear and see if either is the case.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 30 2020 :  08:22:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I ended up fixing the issue. Turns out it had nothing to do with the gears at all, but the screw that holds the motor to that plate! The screw was too long and would jam the armature! Substituted a very short screw and she took off down the rails. Testing the boiler also fixed the crosshead issue.

However gear meshing could be better. Things feel a bit tight. I'll try some slips of paper in front and rear of the motor and see if it does anything.

- I am going to fill in the original headlight mounting hole and drill a new one, lower, for a more prototypical SP style headlight

- I am going to try and get some more wire (I'm out) to try and make the handrails the wrap around the smokebox front.

- I am going to change the marker light mounting setup to be somewhat like the way Redwoods did on his 4-6-0

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on June 30 2020 10:38:15 AM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 01 2020 :  3:01:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Today I'm going to hobby lobby to get some K&S wire.

With the chassis assembled, it's time for the body. I installed the compressor and hatch on the roof of the cab.

This headlight arrangement was too high, so I decided it was time for putty. I filled in the old hole and drilled a new one. I also filled in two small metal pits, and the holes for the pilot steps. I had accidentally cut off the steps mounting holes so I'll just glue them onto the putty. I also installed the coupler cut bar stanchions.

Now THAT looks more ESPEE! (I have some clay holding it in place until I glue it)

The holes I filled

Here I was deciding whether or no to keep the marker light posts. After looking over prototype photos I determined the markers are father towards the boiler front. I ended up filing them all off. I will make new ones out of wire.

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 01 2020 3:04:27 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 01 2020 :  9:58:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow oh wow, Blax. You are like one of the great
Old School guys who made stuff with his hands
and brains. I would have been destroyed at the
binding of the piston rod, but you have doggedly
thought your way through each problem, and
now taking the detailing to a new level. I am
impressed.

Edited by - Chops124 on July 01 2020 10:00:37 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 02 2020 :  5:44:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Lookin' good, Alex. Keep it up.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 02 2020 :  5:53:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Thanks guys! Unfortunately nobody has the wire I need around. I'm going to try a few music shops. Hopefully they have some.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 07 2020 :  1:04:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
After trying just about every music sore in florida, I have concluded the only way to get the wire is to either A. Buy online or B. Get some from my friend Brian. I'm meeting up with brian later this week so perhaps he will being me some. If not I'll get some online.

So in between getting the final walthers coil cars done for brian, I worked a bit on the Brazilian 4-6-0. I havent broken down into the project yet but have done some minor things.

Here I began painting the rods red. The crossheads are red now as well although they are shown to be silver in this photo.

I also cleaned the wheels. Here is a comparison. Yikes!

As of right now I have only cleaned the pilot truck wheels. The way the loco and tender chassis are designed it appears they dont want you to take the wheels out. It's like a split frame that doesnt really split I can still clean them, itll just take longer. However I wont be able to clean the contact that goes to the drivers. Oh well.

The tender, loco, and cab shells were soaked in brake fluid to strip the paint. However the quality of this paint was astonishingly good that it may need to get stripped again.

I hate stripping paint!

My friend maverick who does ww2 modeling has some NATO green airbrush paint which looks pretty good for the green color I want. It also will be useful as GWR green but that is a project for another day he said he will let me borrow it if I solder some things for him. A done deal in my opinion!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 07 2020 :  9:29:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks good - and sounds like you've struck some pretty good deals with your friends.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 08 2020 :  08:46:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Looks good - and sounds like you've struck some pretty good deals with your friends.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 07 2020 :  9:29:34 PM

Brian's house is LOADED with trains. Next time I go I need to take pictures. He sectioned off a room in the house to do his work (He sells on an eBay store "Banks823") and the room is just full of shelves with locomotives, cars, accessories, and so much more in trays and boxes. He has all the parts in the world!

Then, upstairs, he has a room completely shelved with just Walthers kits. There's about 1,000 kits in there!
And that's my job. He gives me kits, I assemble them, he pays me and also gives me the parts I need. If I buy like a new loco from him he deducts it from my pay (He is VERY fair, and lets things go CHEAP), but if it's a small part or two he just gives it to me. So yeah, it's great!!

If there's any rare TYCO piece you need lemme know and I could ask for ya

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 08 2020 :  4:09:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Brian's house is LOADED with trains. Next time I go I need to take pictures. He sectioned off a room in the house to do his work (He sells on an eBay store "Banks823") and the room is just full of shelves with locomotives, cars, accessories, and so much more in trays and boxes. He has all the parts in the world!

Then, upstairs, he has a room completely shelved with just Walthers kits. There's about 1,000 kits in there!
And that's my job. He gives me kits, I assemble them, he pays me and also gives me the parts I need. If I buy like a new loco from him he deducts it from my pay (He is VERY fair, and lets things go CHEAP), but if it's a small part or two he just gives it to me. So yeah, it's great!!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-July 08 2020: 08:46:24 AM

Yes, does he have...

The diecast Pennsylvania RR Tyco/Mantua Sharknose
The RARE Tyco Sante Fe 222 Shark
The Tyco Canadiana Shark

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 08 2020 :  4:40:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I'll take note of that and next time I visit his place I'll ask.

Could you provide some pics of them (minus the canadiana, I know what that looks like)

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 09 2020 :  01:28:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Um, while you’re there, Canadiana caboose?

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 09 2020 :  07:29:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Um, while you’re there, Canadiana caboose?

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 09 2020 :  01:28:57 AM

Sure!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 10 2020 :  2:59:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
So Brian's truck apparently is in the shop, so we couldn't meet up yesterday. Either tomorrow or Sunday. However I did get some green paint for the Brazilian loco and a new project I've wanted to do for awhile.

I've had this old Bachmann Hogwarts express which I got for free from a friend for two years. I decided it's time to get ship shape and Swindon fashion and replace the red coat with some green. Thankfully the green I got looks great as GWR green, so I began. So far I have only done the cab and some details. I'm masking all parts I don't want green so masking will take some time.

Shouldn't take that long to do.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 10 2020 :  3:39:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
So Brian's truck apparently is in the shop, so we couldn't meet up yesterday. Either tomorrow or Sunday. However I did get some green paint for the Brazilian loco and a new project I've wanted to do for awhile.

I've had this old Bachmann Hogwarts express which I got for free from a friend for two years. I decided it's time to get ship shape and Swindon fashion and replace the red coat with some green. Thankfully the green I got looks great as GWR green, so I began. So far I have only done the cab and some details. I'm masking all parts I don't want green so masking will take some time.

Shouldn't take that long to do.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 10 2020 :  2:59:21 PM

am missing a couple pieces on mine
course I wants moar passenger cars
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 10 2020 :  3:44:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
That sucks, busss, what pieces are you missing?

I might repaint the coaches that came with it as well to a chocolate brown.

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 10 2020 3:44:36 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 12 2020 :  8:27:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Got the handrail wire I needed and bent the rails. Looks pretty good after some tweaking!

I threw the other parts together for pictures. We might be ready for the paint shop after some final adjustments!

In the background you can also see the Hall class which is pretty much done with its repaint aside from putting the body back together and touch up. The problem is that stupid cab isn't going back on properly so I might have to modify it a bit. Not sure why it isn't going back on right.

Also,,,,

Some ideas are brewing.

(Picture credit to owners)

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 13 2020 :  4:43:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
With some adjustments of the gear mesh and the completion of a coupler cut bar I started painting. The yoke, cylinders, pilot truck casing, and bottom plate are being painted black. The frame and boiler have been primed. She's coming together!

The hall class repaint is essentially done. Just fiddling around getting it all back together!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 13 2020 :  10:04:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Sounds like good progress is being made....keep it up.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 14 2020 :  11:35:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Sounds like good progress is being made....keep it up.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 13 2020 :  10:04:50 PM

Thanks RP. Progress was going great until this morning.

Painting the parts I stated, finishing them off with some dullcote. I leave them outside to dry. I visit the forums and check the active topics. Should NOT have left them out. The hot sun made the metals very warm. When I scooped them up, I was swinging them from hand to hand, they were so hot. When I reach my table after running through the grass, I dump the parts only to realize:

S**T! WHERES THE PILOT TRUCK COVER!?

So I'm thinking. I would have heard it if it fell on the floor or pavers. It must have fallen on the carpet or the grass. So I check the carpet. Nothing. Which means, this somewhat small, essential part is lying in the grass.

@#%&%#!@$%%#!@#$$@!!@#%&%#@!!#$%$#@

What do I do!!?

Also in case anybody is wondering, I have decided to omit the markers completely from my model. I will use them on a future project.

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 14 2020 1:10:46 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 14 2020 :  3:59:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looks great. What is a pilot truck cover?

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 14 2020 :  4:02:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Looks great. What is a pilot truck cover?

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 14 2020 :  3:59:32 PM

Thanks! The pilot truck is the front set of wheels. The cover as I call it is simply a piece of metal with a slot for the wheel. The a bottom plate screws in to secure it, and then the whole assembly is attached to the frame. Wish I lost the bottom plate and not the whole cover thing!I'm going to look again later.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 15 2020 :  08:45:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Things are sort of spiraling downhill. I never found the truck cover (I might see if a neighbor has a metal detector, or I'll end up finding it when I mow the lawn, ca clunk! )

I've had this problem where using gloss black, and then dulling it would sometimes cause the paint to peel. I've had this problem for ages, and I can't figure out what the hell causes it! I let this gloss black on the frame dry all night before applying the gloss black, but it still crazed in some areas. Im sick of this issue, it really wrecks stuff I do, and usually happens in the most noticeable area. This time, it crazed up my nice front pilot. I was going to weather this, so perhaps it won't be much of an issue. Any thoughts?

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 16 2020 :  8:15:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
For some reason this thread is getting zero attention

Wait until you see the consolidation next

Also I'd like to update my projects list.

ONGOING PROJECTS LIST AS OF 7/15/20

SMT Mainline MDT switcher and caboose: being stripped, will soon be painted (and hopefully) shipped to harrison in Canada.

Brazilian 4-6-0: still being stripped and sanded. That paint is tough!

Norstadt And Delmir Railway Hall class 4-6-0: Currently being reassembled

Southern Pacific C- (?) Class consolidation: needs correct tender, final details, and pilot truck

PROJECTS BEING CONSIDERED/ PLANNED

[No scale] Galaxy express 999 C62 48: Currently being considered. Will be completely scratch built.

Casey Jr. (2019): I'll be securing a Mantua General for this one at a later date.

NH FL9: Ill be securing parts for this at a later date.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 16 2020 :  8:43:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Sounds like a good list of projects - looking forward to the finished results, er should I say locomotives.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 17 2020 :  09:21:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Sounds like a good list of projects - looking forward to the finished results, er should I say locomotives.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 16 2020 :  8:43:58 PM

Yes it is. There is always a lot to do!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 20 2020 :  09:08:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
American, Japanese, and Russian trains. Those are my big three. Unfortunately you can't find the latter in the states, but you can build em' yourself. Here's a playlist I've put together of some Japanese scratchbuilding. It's so fun to watch how they do it. I'll be updating this playlist regularly with anything I find useful. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLitC8ZE0T-92piDcewrt70zZ9eAN4JGOE

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 29 2020 :  4:35:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
So, I had ordered a new pilot truck casing thingy from a seller on ebay and it arrived today. However this one must be made for like the 2-6-2 or something because the darned thing hits the chassis and doesnt go on right. So now I've got to file down this thing a ton. This will take forever!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 29 2020 :  5:54:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well in the Dumbo cartoon Casey Jr is a 2-4-0
but either way a 4-4-0 looks good
a few years ago there was a G scale LE one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - July 29 2020 :  8:21:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Does he have any of the little tiger light bulbs that they used in their buildings?
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 08 2020 :  08:46:24 AM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 30 2020 :  07:57:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
well in the Dumbo cartoon Casey Jr is a 2-4-0
but either way a 4-4-0 looks good
a few years ago there was a G scale LE one

Originally posted by microbusss - July 29 2020 :  5:54:09 PM

Yeah, I sorta prefer the more realistic Casey.

Erik, I don't know what that is. Got Pics? I'm assuming it's just a bulb but I'm not sure...
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: New Anderson Paint Shop Projects Topic Next Topic: RESTORING & CUSTOMIZING Old Pola Freight Station  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000