Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Bus troubles
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Uploading to Youtube Topic Next Topic: Windows 10  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 31 2020 :  11:55:25 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
So, I was going to shoot a video, tried another 1/2 amp transformer, the bus barely moved, and alarmingly
put out a puff of smoke.

Fearing the worst, I put in a 1 amp MRC unit and the bus merrily came to life and performed well through
all speed ranges. After a few minutes I shut it down and assembled the necessary stuff to shoot a video.
Tried to start the bus and it was now dead as a door nail.

Took the shell off, got a few brief hums and flickers, the motor, at one point, ran a few seconds then
quit again. The motor turns freely, but even applying the juice directly to the contacts, nada. Not even
the lights come on. Sometimes the overload indicator comes on the transformer, so presumably there
is some kind of short.

All the wiring looks intact, no loose leads, nothing touching something else. I am baffled. Tried blowing
the motor out with computer keyboard cleaner, no dice.

Totally stumped. Is it possible that it sucked up a small bit of metal causing some internal short?
Disassembling the motor looks like a long shot as it is riveted.

I tried it yet again, this time had flames and smoke. Not a good sign. Can't quite tell where the action
is, but is looks like some sort of assemblage on the right side of the motor, to where I would guess some
kind of brush assembly exists.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 01 2020 :  09:53:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I absolutely hate when that happens. Everything is fine, and then without changing anything, now there is a problem. Sorry to hear. Sounds like the transformer may have done something to it. But I'm no electrical expert..
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - June 01 2020 :  12:49:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Shame that the bus unit stopped after a few minutes of operation.

Maybe the unit is from Europe and uses a different electrical output.

Just guessing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 01 2020 :  7:10:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
It could be something wrong with the brushes. For example, they may be worn out.

It also sounds like the windings on the armature or the field coil could be bad. If the lacquer on a winding melted, it could make a mini short removing some number of windings from operation, thus lowering the resistance and raising the current draw. It struck me as odd, from the beginning, that such a small motor should draw more than half an amp.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 01 2020 :  8:31:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That is useful info, scss. In point of fact, the owner's manual said that
the motor "draws very little current." In fact, it would scarcely budge
with a half amp toy transformer, and would only dig in with the 1 amp
MRC unit.

The only thing that changed before it quit was going from the toy transformer to a 1 amp transformer.

The other thing is, WKS, it briefly crossed my mind that this could
be a result of European type voltage, but again, this unit was
made for the US market, an additionally it was designed to run
off either AC or DC due to some curious sort of construction of
the motor. I never knew there was such a thing as an AC/DC
motor, I assumed it was one or the other.

I will be looking for a replacement, they are out there, just
have to pay up for it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 01 2020 :  11:17:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
It was designed to run off either AC or DC due to some curious sort of construction of the motor. I never knew there was such a thing as an AC/DC motor, I assumed it was one or the other.
Originally posted by Chops124 - June 01 2020 :  8:31:43 PM

In one of the pictures you posted, the motor appeared to have a field coil rather than a permanent magnet. That's normal for AC trains, like the Lionel O gauge trains. It works with AC because the field coil, and therefore the field, alternates the same as the current in the armature.

It also happens that if you give that same sort of motor DC, the field coil creates the same sort of field as a permanent magnet (it doesn't alternate), so the direct current in the armature works just the same as the direct current in a permanent magnet motor. The one difference is that the motor will only run forward, because if you reverse the DC, you reverse it in both the field coil and the armature, so the motor always turns the same way with AC or with DC flowing either way.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 01 2020 :  11:45:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, that is right, it would only function in one direction regardless
of which way the reversing switch was turned.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 02 2020 :  08:23:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
First, I would figure out which transformer is the correct one to use. If that played any factor in wrecking the bus, another may break.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Uploading to Youtube Topic Next Topic: Windows 10  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000