Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Prototypes
 TYCO "Red Box Era" Prototype Southern Pacific GP20
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: TYCO Western Pacific RR ALCO C430 Prototype Topic Next Topic: Tyco Western Pacific Caboose Prototype  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 25 2020 :  10:00:31 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Obviously Tyco released the gray & red Southern Pacific (and similar "Cotton Belt") GP20s during the "Red Box Era," but when I spotted this on Ebay, I thought for sure it was a good custom job. Until I looked closer. I'm almost sure that this is a factory prototype, as not only is the paint job (including the black & white striping on the front and rear) pristine, but so are the numbers "5628" printed below the cab windows on both sides. However, the "Southern Pacific" logo and "Radio-Equipped" lettering are decals. The box included doesn't seem to have any writing on it, indicating that it is a test, rather the box is plain, with no labels.

I saw this a while ago on Ebay and ignored it. That is, until I just stumbled across it again tonight, and snagged it, at a decent price. I can't wait to get it in and analyze it further. Please stay tuned.

Image credit to Ebay seller

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 26 2020 :  09:04:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Yes! Cant wait until it gets here! Give er' some handrails as well
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 30 2020 :  4:40:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The Southern Pacific GP20 has arrived, and upon close inspection, it is most definitely an authentic Tyco Pre-Production locomotive, which is exciting! What gives it away is the factory-painted "5628" below the cab windows on both sides, as well as the perfect striping on the front and rear. This locomotive is in pristine condition for its age, (as it is from the "Red Box Era,") and clearly was something Tyco had planned to produce, but never did. I really wish they made this GP20 for real, as I'm sure it would have been a hit.

Also, this GP20 runs perfectly fine, and the light works as well, so please stay tuned for an upcoming video of it in action.

Included in the box is a Tyco "Guarantee" card, with the day "May 26th" written on it in pen, and an original handrailing kit, so clearly this box belongs with this locomotive, which is awesome to know. Being one-of-a-kind, I consider myself extremely lucky to have gotten it at a good price, and in excellent condition; it is now one of the most highly esteemed Tyco pieces in my collection, and my first "Pre-Pod"!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Edited by - RP model railroads on May 30 2020 4:41:04 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 31 2020 :  08:39:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Wow! looks great!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 31 2020 :  5:33:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Wow! looks great!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-May 31 2020: 08:39:26 AM

Thanks! I do agree.

And here's the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUujvey_7Ik

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: TYCO Western Pacific RR ALCO C430 Prototype Topic Next Topic: Tyco Western Pacific Caboose Prototype  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000