Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Crummy transformer holding up the bus
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Adventures in Zamboni Land. Topic Next Topic: Attic layout 2019- 2020  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 24 2020 :  4:22:38 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Anemic transformer from a Hornby set. Now the South Street Bus is
supposed to be able to run on AC as well, some unique characteristic
of the motor, and I have a few spare old Lionel AC transformers lurking
about. However, I am very concerned to overheat this old piece and ruin
it, so if necessary I will buy a 1 amp DC MRC unit before I try that. No
room for error with this sweet old bus.

Edited by - Chops124 on May 24 2020 4:50:42 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - May 24 2020 :  10:50:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I thought that, in one of your pictures, I saw a field coil rather than a magnet on the motor. That would make it run on either AC or DC, and it would always run the same direction regardless of polarity. I wouldn't know whether a Lionel transformer would have the right voltage output for what the bus motor expects, though.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 25 2020 :  8:28:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Would it overheat?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - May 25 2020 :  11:03:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
It should only overheat if something is wrong with it. I think a permanent magnet motor would overheat on AC, because it couldn't convert the energy to motion with all that reversing, so the energy would all become heat.

With a field coil, the polarity of the field coil and of the armature would reverse together, keeping everything in sync to make the motor go.

You could get heat with the motor stalled, if there's some current, but not enough voltage to start things moving.

At way too high of a voltage, the engine could burn out, I expect.

It seems like you could try the Lionel transformer carefully by hooking it up to the bus layout and slowly turning up the throttle, turning it off quickly if it goes too fast, won't go or just sits there and hums.

It seems a little odd to me that such a little device should max out any throttle, though. Does the bus run at all, with the throttle you have?

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on May 25 2020 11:05:10 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 26 2020 :  09:05:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
What transformer was supposed to be used?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Adventures in Zamboni Land. Topic Next Topic: Attic layout 2019- 2020  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000