Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 No rest for the wicked.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Amtrak to Armadilloville Topic Next Topic: MY FINISHED LAYOUT  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 05 2020 :  5:10:10 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Seeing Kb's cool layout made me want to pull up some stuff and re-arrange the "furniture."
Good use of time, I like the feel of it better now.

Lot of accessories and stuff competing for straight track, of which there is not a whole ton that
can take it. Moved this coal loader to this spot, and I like it much better than the corner I had
it wedged into.

Moving the hospital over so that I could be looked straight into has a much better visual than
trying to peer at the details sideways. The US 1 track is all removed, waiting on the new
trolley bus system, and those few extra centimeters of clearance makes a lot of difference.
I've got various "planted" trees being held up by whatever I could grab to let the glue dry
overnight.

The Twin Peaks is something that Micro posted a while back, and I had to have one. It's been
a real challenge to make it fit, and I've tried many versions, including working it in as part of
an EL. I extended the baseboard four inches with a few pieces of cardboard, and it's nice to
have this crazy Life Like piece up again.

Another space hogger was the passenger station, formerly wedged on a corner. Did not look
right at all. Reduced the size of the Jade Fog plant and moved her into the empty space. Ah,
better.

One of my favorite vignettes, this excavation of a bird skull had been pushed to a back corner
of Armadilloville, and I relocated it behind City Hall, where it will get a lot more views.

Armodilloville was built around this Tyco Strap Hanger Set, and it became really, really hard
to pack things in. I didn't want to go too large, but eventually I had to add on a 4x4, which
is working out better than expected.

Armadilloville has had several permutations, much like Glacial Drift, but the prerunner was an
attempt of the doing a copy of the track work on the Tyco Layout Expander. I never liked it
once I got it up, the switches tended to foul trains, and the inner loop was to be so small,
and hard to get into that eventually the Tyco Muse laid her hand upon me and said, "go
with a overlapping double oval." That design is really easy to work with, doesn't challenge
the trains to derail, and has lent itself to an easy 4x4 extension.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 05 2020 :  6:22:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Any plans to ballast your track?

The gravel that comes from roofs' makes awesome ballast. When my family's roof got re - done, my dad and I went up, and scooped up all the ballast that fell into the gutter into a bucket for future use.

I will use it as set dressing when I make the sets for my series
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 05 2020 :  6:28:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice to see the updates Jeff. Always time for change.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5871  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 05 2020 :  8:50:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Blax, I've done ballast, hated ballast, and it nearly drove me to the
funny farm. Because I'm doing a deliberately subscale Tyco based layout, I
happily ignored doing ballast.

On the OO layout, which is scaled up, to a point, I put in cork road bed, sprayed
with textured gray spray paint. I'm really fine with that. It has a course texture,
and very easy to revise, as needed. Not a stupendous appearance, but oh Lord,
when ballast finds its way, as it will, into expensive Hornby switch points, there
is the devil to pay.

It is a curious point that man is the only species that creates
problems for himself to solve- like ballast. That being said,
ballast away my friend!

Edited by - Chops124 on April 05 2020 8:52:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Amtrak to Armadilloville Topic Next Topic: MY FINISHED LAYOUT  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000