Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 New engine replacement
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: An important message to all ebay sellers. Topic Next Topic: A guide to Tyco Powertorque Servicing  

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - March 19 2020 :  9:29:45 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
One of the many projects Ive got going right now is finally rebuilding a couple power torques and finally managed to find a couple mabuchi motors here stateside rf300 fa 12350' s from a company out of miami. but these twits show a picture of the motor without a spindle wheel but of course they shipped this I don't wanna have to return these too much hassle. Anybody on here got any ideas about removing these spindles? I looked on line for info about pulling these off you tube internet etc.Not much out there dont wanna buy a puller thought using just a dremel and a cutting wheel and just cutting the durn thing off but concerned about damaging the shaft it rides on.Anybody got any ideas or suggestions to removing it would surely be appreciated.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 78  ~  Member Since: January 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 27 2021 Alert Moderator 

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - March 21 2020 :  12:18:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Okay I was able fo pop the spindles off with a screw driver,this is the project that I am working on amongest many is a power torque rebuild using this motor Igrabbed the dremel and ground on the block friday night for a while to keep busy.If I keep at it every day should be up and running by next week.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 78  ~  Member Since: January 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 27 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 21 2020 :  5:45:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
So, you had to grind out the housing to make it fit? What will you be
using for a pinion gear?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - March 22 2020 :  12:27:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
I plan reusing the original pinion gear if possible if I cant then i'll have go to a slot car place and get one of the pinions they use.I saw a link on here with one of the power torque rebuilds where someone was able to match up pinion that from a slot car with the right kind teeth on the pinion its self.No the biggest issue that I see is gonna be drilling out the bushing that is in the block itself.What I mean is drilling out the bushing or bearing just enough to get the motor shaft through.Ive already done that I was able to drill out dead center on another block I was trying to convert to one of these small motors.But I screwed up the other side of the block when I bent one of the pins the plastic gears rides on.Bent the sucker slightly by virtue of the way I was mounting the block in the bench vise to do my grinding.So Iam more conciously aware of this now when I Secure it to the bench.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 78  ~  Member Since: January 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 27 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 22 2020 :  8:44:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The devil is in the details. I wish you luck, if it works, this will be a
killer piece.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 03 2020 :  3:55:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Okay gang,got three power torque blocks hogged out and the motors to fit .Now all I am waiting for is three pinons gears I ordered from an slot car shop .I opted to try something that I had read in past posts in this forum that these would work provided I make up something of a clip or retainer that will keep the big gear from walking off of the pinion.These are 9 tooth 64 pitch pinions. So I gotta get me some brass sheet from some where to make that retainer and I gotta figure a way to secure the motor into the block jb weld maybe? wish me luck

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 03 2020 :  8:01:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Best of luck. The transmissions on these Tycos can be
quite challenging. Look forward to what comes next.

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 03 2020 :  8:44:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Yea I hear ya chops,IVE been read and rereading all the past articles on doing this type of project.It can be done but Ive gotta do it right and just take my time.Theres gonna be some hicupps along the way.But Ive got about ten or 15 of these power torques that are basically Doa in my estimation.Ive tried everything possible to get them to run,completely disassembled.cleaned them up,replaced brushes,springs even the magnets in some cases and its done absoulutly no good.Now it could simply be that I am not getting the brushes and springs right in that cover so they hit that old comutator just right.Iam getting better at putting them back together lol and not losing the brushes and springs to the shag carpet.But you cant belive the condition Ive found these power torque blocks in,A couple were cooked black from oil and abuse,had to soak em in wd40 and alcohol and tooth brush plus elbow grease.One of the blocks had a gear pin so worn down I cant even figure out how it held the gear to the block.But wer'e under stay at home order here in ohio so time is something Ive got lots of TO RUN TRAINS!!!lol

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 04 2020 :  06:23:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Big gear walking off the pinion. Yup. That’s about where
I get in trouble. Well, let’s see if your retaining clip does
The trick. JB Weld usually cements everything, but takes
Overnight to cure.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 04 2020 :  5:34:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I would have probs done one of these conversions to my original tyco c430 detail bash if I didnt get that atlas c424. After that, my c430 sits in the bottom of my junk bin. Oh well. If anyone wants an undec c430 with handrails, a good PT, AND styrene cut to fit those pilots, PM me and we can work something out. I would be listing it on eBay.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread a bit, kb1857, apologies!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 07 2020 :  7:14:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Well gang my pinion gears arrived in monday's mail and monday evening I cemented in the motors in the hogged out power torque blocks with JB Weld,nasty smelling stuff but Id use horse manure if it was an strong adhesive lol.Had to wait for a day for that to set. This morning I ventured out to my closest hardware but they didn't have any brass so I had to settle for aluminum strips to use for L angle brackets that I can fabricate to keep the big gear from walking off the pinion.More to come later wish me luck.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 07 2020 :  10:56:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hate to ask, but if the big gear wants to walk off,
Is it also slipping?

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 08 2020 :  09:11:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
JB weld sure does smell nasty, but yes, it's great stuff!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 08 2020 :  4:15:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
In ansewering your question chops best I can, without using the old pinion that had a lip on it to hold it on its gonna slip regardless hence the clip installed slightly above the center of the gear to make up for no lip on the pinion.Its the fix somebody else in this forum used and its seemed to work we will see.

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 08 2020 :  4:59:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Got the brackets cut and holes drilled in both the bracket and the power torque block,gears and pinion on,pinion is a good fit so I am not gonna cement it on atleast not right off,still gotta smooth the rough edges on the bracket and bend ,manipilate the metal a bit to fit. I am gonna cement a 2-56 screw to hold it together.My biggest concern is getting it to fit in the mounting bracket of a geep 20 gonna have to forgo for now using it the 630 because of the middle axle issue bogging up the turn radius in the shell.I am gonna have to do some modifying of shell and the bracket itself.Iwill have to find a smaller motor to use in this setup for the 630.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 10 2020 :  02:16:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
!

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 10 2020 :  02:51:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Interesting subject! I had a couple of Tyco 630s down thru the winter but I bought a running power trucks assembly and repaired one. The second I bought a damaged body 630 that ran to fix it. Guess that's the easy way but I spend soo much time in my shop building real cars/trucks I don't spend enough time with the train hobby... I'd love to have Chops little Ford as a summer repair and paint project. Too bad he lives soo far away!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 11 2020 :  12:06:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Yea walt,this is the 630 I want to restore I repainted the old girl chessie blue and renumered it 5532 but I'll have to find a smaller motor that can fit up in it after I cement the block to it so I can run the three axles and have no problems with turning radius on it.But I got a couple GP 20s that I can slap these engines into and they'll run.got these two finished,haven't put the juice to them yet and Ive gotta make some modifications to the shells,The third of these I did I had to remove the motor and hog it out some more with the dremel to get it to fit the block better.So Its sitting on the bench after I recemented with jb weld.Don't know yet if these aluminum brackets are gonna work and I might have get brass to make this work.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 11 2020 :  04:23:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That’s some kind of work just to keep the main gear put.
I applaud your ingenuity.

As to the Ranchero, the shop had a field day changing out
Stuff, without addressing the transmission leak or bearing issue
On right front wheel. I am going to take it out of there Saturday and see if a more main stream shop can do what I had asked for. This crew at The garage cannot follow simple directions and I wonder what kind of bill these clowns are going to hit me with.
For example, they did a coolant flush, when that already had been completed. I specifically told them to leave it alone, but they did it anyways. Not sure if they are just deaf or if they smoke too much dope. I just want to get as far away from this bunch as possible.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 11 2020 04:28:41 AM

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 26 2020 :  6:18:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Okay this where my motor rebuild program is at.Ive' hit several snags.Finished four motors total including the fouth one was small enough to use in the Alco 630 and come to find that I did have some brass sheeting to make a L shaped bracket four the fourth and final motor. If you look closely to motor on the right it was the smallest That I could find for a fit in the 630 and be able to swivel. I tryed to cut a small portion of the mounting bracket used to mount the motors in the 630.Well here's where Ive run into problems with this project.I cant find a way to mount this motor into the shell,The bracket tyco used is a snap in fit not much can be cut away with out cracking or breaking the bracket itself.What little That I was able to grind out so the motor was able to swivel some but still snap into the shell.Heres where the problems began.This bracket will not support the power truck its self,and the area is so small and tight no way I can frabricate something out of plastruck to cement into the shell itself .So for the time being I just decided to hook up the wires axles and just let the shell ride on the truck just to get the darn thing on the track.Trying to hook up the wires off these motors is like trying to drink coffee with a fork.Very small whisper thin wire I am not even sure what guage,never hooked up something that small,skinned a small part of the of the wire back as well as stripping some off a original tyco wire running running to the back truck.twisted the two wires together then soldered them together and wrapped electrical tape to protect the soldering job So put it on the track and of course nothing no power no light up nothing zilch, zip, nada.So Ive no way of knowing if I soldered these two wires together or not nor do I know of any other way to attach something like this together,butt connectors? heat shrink tubing?I am out of ideas and very discouraged because I cant put power to these motors to see if they work. Tryed to put power to the other motors using just a power pack and broke off a small portion of the wire red positive but just enough that ill be hard pressed to attach it to something else.So I am very frustrated at this point.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 26 2020 :  7:11:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I feel the pain. But I am making a comeback on the trolley bus
project, which I truly concluded had defeated me. My suggestion:
get horizontal. In other words, walk away and sleep on it for a
day or two. It is amazing how going horizontal hits the reset
button on the brain, and how new solutions and inspiration
frequently develop.

I got the antennae on the bus refitted, and believe that
with one small drop of solder it will be a durable repair.

You may have seen DIY like this, but seeing Cheez's video
links on the trolley bus, while not directly connective to the
actual set backs I was incurring, helped me to sort of get
my brain around it in useful ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyMUd1gN43U

Sorry to get esoteric on you, but I truly believe that the act
of making something, whether the Mona Lisa or a
CD repowered bogie, is an act of spirituality, in that we
are fufilling the core nature of man: which is to create.
This is not a pointless struggle you are engaged upon, but
an act of your core nature.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 26 2020 7:15:38 PM

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - April 26 2020 :  10:08:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Thanks for the pep talk chops,I just get discouraged because Ive put a fair amount of time in this but I'll take a few days off from this work on something else.Got any ideas about connecting these wires together? or anybody else in the forum wanna chime in it would be appreciated.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 26 2020 :  11:35:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yep. Well, added the last drop of solder to my bus,
and I think I got it right, better than new. New old,
that is. Now comes the hair raising prospect of
getting the masts installed right.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - September 10 2020 :  12:25:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
kb, how is this project going?
  Previous Topic: An important message to all ebay sellers. Topic Next Topic: A guide to Tyco Powertorque Servicing  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000