Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Hornby OO Gauge
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: DieCast HO Trucks Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line HOn3  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 17 2020 :  7:30:33 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Hi guys,

For the first time in 44 or so years of HO gauge model railroading I have added European equipment
to my rolling stock collection.

One of the overlapping interests my wife and I share is a love of JK Rowling's Harry Potter books.
So this year when we decided to get something special to run around the base of our Christmas Tree we decided to get a
HO/OO version of the Hogwarts Express.

As it turns out both Bachmann and Hornby offer HO/00 models of the famous train so I had a choice to make.

Actually there was no choice, on one hand the Bachmann version was cheaper and easier to find in the United States,
but in the photographs it looked crude in execution. The Hornby version on the other hand looked like something a
serious model railroader would be happy to have on his layout.

The following is from Hornby's web site describing their Hogwarts Express set....

Ready to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year? The best way to get there is with the
Hornby Hogwarts Express Train Set! In brilliant Hogwarts Red and containing a DCC Ready 5972 locomotive with working headlight,
plus two coaches, this set makes a perfect gift or addition for any Harry Potter fan!

The set includes:

- Hogwarts Castle 5972 4-6-0 Locomotive
- 2 x Hogwarts Mk. 1 coaches
- 3rd Radius starter oval
- Track pack A (with point and buffer stop)
- P9200 wall plug transformer
- R8250 Train Controller
- R8206 Power Track

Knowing next to nothing about Hornby products, I took a chance with this traditional manufacturer of OO gauge English rolling stock
and ordered their version of the Hogwarts Express. A few days latter, this is what I got...

Before I even pulled the models out of the carton I was impressed, although the box recommends a minimum age of 8 this product is
clearly aimed at the adult market. The Locomotive was enclosed in a plastic wrap-around plastic "jacket" just like the latest "top of the line"
models currently on the market, a good sign.

English steam locomotives generally have a clean looking appearance without the "plumbers-nightmare" of piping and appliances that are
found on their American counterparts. As a result, to my untrained American eyes this English locomotive model looks well detailed, the only
cosmetic parts the purchaser needs to add are the cylinder cocks which are enclosed in a small packet along with an extra coupler.

Speaking of couplers, the Hornby equipment comes with the traditional "loop and hook" coupling system common with most European HO/OO
gauge trains. I tried the European couplers on my layout and found that they worked well, I could shove my train backwards up and down steep
grades and through switches without any derailments.

More interestingly, Hornby uses the NEM draft gear system that enables a modeler to easily swap out the original couplers for a different system.
It just so happens that Kadee makes a special set of couplers that have shanks that plug right into the NEM socket draft gear...

The coaches themselves are well made and come complete with interiors, flush fitting windows, and metal wheels....

While operating this equipment on my layout, I was happy to discover that Hornby makes really nice locomotives (at least judging from this model).
This little 10 wheeler is a quiet runner that can creep without stalling and can pull reasonable well even up steep grades.

Other interesting items found in this set include enough code 100 nickle silver snap track to make an oval and a short spur with bumper. I found
the switch very interesting, at a glance it compares favorably with Peco switches, it even includs a locking mechanism that
holds the switch points tight against the stock rail when thrown in one direction or the other.

Speaking of track, this brings up a criticisms I have of this set. First while the single switch is nice accessory, a third coach would have provided much
more value for a set featuring a passenger train. Second, in this day and age why are starter sets still coming with old fashioned snap track?
In order to run my Hogwarts Express under the tree, I ironically used Bachmann EZ track with molded plastic roadbed to keep carpet fibers
from getting into the locomotives mechanism.

Rounding out the contents, this set also includes a small controller box with a "wall wart" style AC/DC adapter and a re-railing ramp
(the biggest clue of all that this set was made for adults).

Like the track, I decided to forgo the equipment that came with the set in favor of a spare MPC Powermaster transformer I had on hand to
operate the train under the tree.

Incidentally, in the UK this particular Hornby control box and "wall wart" system has drawn the ire of many model railroaders. According to
the instructions, in the event of a short circuit the control box cuts out for 30 seconds before resetting itself. I suspect the existence
of the 30 second penalty has something to do with the nature of the AC/DC adapter rather than an intentional punishment for negligent
operators, but still what an annoying feature!

In summary, for my first exposure to Hornby this set made a good first impression, the locomotive and cars are well made models
that perform well both on the floor under a Christmas tree and on a layout. The track, while I did not use any of it, also appears to be
of high quality and should be useful on a permanent layout. The power supply and controller, while easily the cheapest and least
desirable component of the set, should suffice long enough until a more traditional power supply is acquired.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on February 18 2020 10:53:26 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - February 18 2020 :  07:26:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Looks like a nice set. I have the bachmann/hornby Hogwarts, and it looks just as good. Seems hornby went with making an unmodified hall versus a modified hall, like Bachmann. (Hall is the locomotive type)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 23 2020 :  10:05:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hornby has a lot of good stuff, and seems to be alert to the
fact that many model railroaders prefer equipment that
runs slow and smooth as opposed to 200 SMPH. Some of
their older things, like the tank 0-4-0's travel at the speed
of sound.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 24 2020 :  12:52:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
It's great to see that someone else makes an H0/00 model of the Hogwarts Express aside from Bachmann (for a fairly short time, apparently). Looks like a lovely model. I especially like that lamp, just wish the bulb was fitted into an actual lantern instead of straight into the smokebox door. Still rather nice, though, especially considering these aren't too expensive (based on what I've seen online).
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

B 67
Switcher

QR

Posted - April 19 2020 :  07:36:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add B 67 to Buddylist
While a third coach would've been nice, when it comes to train sets, price is often a consideration. Lower price = increased sales. Can then sell them the extra coach/es once they've got started in the hobby. I'm pretty sure that's the manufacturer's thinking behind such choices.

As for ordinary "Snap-Track", or Setrack (as Peco call it) as a retailer, I prefer it. I find that very few lay the track directly on the floor anyway. I really don't understand why anyone would. I know I didn't, even as an 8 year old in the 70s.

Okay, fair enough. There's the train under the Christmas tree thing. I get that aspect, although until recently, that wasn't so common where I am (Australia). But I digress. The issue I have with roadbed track is that we've reverted to the 1950s where each brand of track was incompatible with the others. Requiring retailers to stock all the competing ranges of track to go with each brand of train set they stock. That issue aside, yes, some makes of roadbed track are very nice. Others, the less said, the better. They're also generally more expensive than standard track though, which I find puts many off using it.

The controller turning off for 30 seconds or so is usually a sign that it uses a bi-metal strip that bends as it heats up, and breaks the circuit to protect the power supply. The reason it takes so long to switch back on is that you're waiting for the metal to cool down again and make contact again. A lot of earlier controllers used it. Cheap and effective, but quite old-fashioned in this day and age. Hornby probably thought "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". And they've used such devices for decades.

As for that particular controller itself, it doesn't have a good reputation. I've seen many of them fail, and had limited success in repairing them.

And the railing ramp is actually an item Hornby acquired from the Lima range.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 69  ~  Member Since: April 21 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 19 2020 :  08:20:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
It's great to see that someone else makes an H0/00 model of the Hogwarts Express aside from Bachmann (for a fairly short time, apparently). Looks like a lovely model. I especially like that lamp, just wish the bulb was fitted into an actual lantern instead of straight into the smokebox door. Still rather nice, though, especially considering these aren't too expensive (based on what I've seen online).

Originally posted by kovacste000 - February 24 2020 :  12:52:38 AM

In the movie, that's where the headlight is located. Although I'm glad my Bachmann doesn't have it. I think it's ugleeee!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 19 2020 :  3:35:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
nice I likes
I would like moar coaches for my Bachmann set
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: DieCast HO Trucks Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line HOn3  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000