Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Putting on AHM traction tires
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Putting on Ahm tires Two Topic Next Topic: remotoring ahm challengers & big boys  

kb1857
Switcher

Posted - January 28 2020 :  3:22:30 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kb1857 to Buddylist
Over the past year Ive discovered the wonderful growl of AHM locomotives and Ive scored several at train show some I am gonna remotor this year.One question Ive got is about putting traction tires on ahm 's,which wheels get them,and do I put them on front and back.Also what about adding weight to the engines,Ive rewheeled the ahm passenger coaches and added weight to them so I figure Iam gonna have to do this as well Iam gonnna have to do this with the locos maybe turn the wheels down a bit to get them to rpo.Id appreciate any helpon here about placing the traction tires on these
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 78  ~  Member Since: January 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 27 2021 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 29 2020 :  9:10:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
how about them Goody Bands some use in here for traction tires?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 29 2020 :  9:17:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
KB, a couple of us have used Goody's Hair Bands, available at
Walmart for cheap, with decent results. The bands come in three
sizes, the smallest being good for diesel wheels, the larger for
steam drivers. Costs a buck or two, lifetime supply.

Other folks prefer commercial traction tires, Calumet, I think?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - January 29 2020 :  9:37:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
quote:
Over the past year Ive discovered the wonderful growl of AHM locomotives and Ive scored several at train show some I am gonna remotor this year.One question Ive got is about putting traction tires on ahm 's,which wheels get them,and do I put them on front and back.Also what about adding weight to the engines,Ive rewheeled the ahm passenger coaches and added weight to them so I figure Iam gonna have to do this as well Iam gonnna have to do this with the locos maybe turn the wheels down a bit to get them to rpo.Id appreciate any helpon here about placing the traction tires on these

Originally posted by kb1857 - January 28 2020 :  3:22:30 PM

The traction tires fit into grooves in the wheels. They are only on the rear power truck, usually 2 tires on one side.

Yes, the Goody's bands will work as noted above, as well as the Calumet 505 traction tires available on ebay.

You can access the wheels by removing the bottom cover of the power truck and lifting out the wheel/geared axle set. I use a smooth, pointed punch to work the bands over the wheels and into the groove. Make sure the bands aren't twisted as they lay in the grooves.

It would be a good time to use some plastic-safe grease on the gears at this time, as well as clean the wheels. Likewise for the front truck wheels.

These AHM locomotives are usually well-weighted and rarely (if ever) would benefit from more weight.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Putting on Ahm tires Two Topic Next Topic: remotoring ahm challengers & big boys  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000