Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Traction Tires For Pancake Bachmann Locos
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A4 Spencer &  other streamlined Steamers Topic Next Topic: Bachmann e60  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 12 2020 :  04:47:12 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
So I've been doing repairs on some old 1980's Bachmann locos that I have inherited a while back. They all run now (after some trial and error ), but I need some new traction tires for these old guys due to the fact that the original ones have dried out long ago. I've looked online and keep finding conflicting information about what to replace them with. I've heard some people say to use rubber bands, I've heard others say to use some from a brand that seems to be gone now, and there also appear to be some wheel sets with traction tires on Bachmann's site. You guys have any suggestions on what to use to replace the old Bachmann traction tires? There's a couple of options that I feel may work, but I do not want to jump on them yet due to the fact that they may or may not work. Thanks for any help you guys are able to give!
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on January 12 2020 04:49:28 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 12 2020 :  08:37:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
A trick I got from Chops is to use Goody's Hair Bands from Walmart. A bag of assorted sizes is about a buck. The smallest size is about typical for the size of traction tires on a diesel. Nice thing is, if you try it and it doesn't work, you're only out a buck, and since you just pick them up in the store, you don't have to pay shipping or wait for an order to be shipped to you.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 12 2020 :  10:09:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yep, Goody's is the best way to go. They come in assorted sizes,
and I've used the larger sizes on some locomotive drivers that
were in need. The only trick is to get it to lay flat on the wheel.
Otherwise, it will have a little twist on it and give the locomotive
a little bumpy ride, but depending on my patience level I usually
just deal with it.

I've also tried Bull Frog Snot, and at $25 a whack I was not
really impressed with the result, and it will NOT stick to
plastic wheels.

Anybody want to buy a jar of used BFS half off, barely used?

Edited by - Chops124 on January 12 2020 10:11:00 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - January 12 2020 :  11:07:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
The higher priced alternative are Calumet traction tires - #505 for diesels. Usually available on ebay or they have a website as well.

This is pure personal preference, the Goodys bands bands will work, but I don't have a lot of luck getting them to lay down smooth without bumps. People have told me that stretching them out first eliminates the bumps, but it seems to me that it stretches them too loose.

As mentioned, it won't cost you much to try out the Goodys first and see how they work for you.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 12 2020 :  3:11:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I think I’ll try the Walmart Goody’s bands first, and then I’ll take a look at the Calumet tires if the Goody’s don’t work. Next time I’m out and about, I’ll try to remember to stop at Walmart.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 12 2020 :  9:36:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Buy my BFS, half off!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 14 2020 :  10:17:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The clear, smallest-sized Goody's hairbands work perfectly - I've used them on my TYCO PowerTorques, MU-2's, and Bachmann & LifeLike diesels. They work really well.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 14 2020 :  10:22:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
where do I look for these Goody bands exactly?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 14 2020 :  10:28:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
where do I look for these Goody bands exactly?
Originally posted by microbusss - January 14 2020 :  10:22:08 PM

I got them at Walmart. I don't remember the exact department, but usually the workers in the store are good at getting you to where you need to go.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 14 2020 :  11:33:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I bought a bunch (about 40) of the Calumet bands for just a few dollars on ebay. I know some sellers sell just a few for quite a price. I got so many in my bag that I gave 20 of them to my nephew.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 15 2020 :  03:33:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hair care aisle.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 16 2020 :  11:21:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
As of writing this, I’m at Walmart, and I found them! Right in hair accessories. The ones that will work are in the multipacks, it seems. Looking at them, they look perfect, and much sturdier than the original Bachmann tires.I’ll give you guys an update on how they work.
-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - January 16 2020 :  12:12:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
I have had the Goodies bands fail in service, getting slick and slipping under load. This happened recently on a Tyco 630 P-torque.
I've used Calumet tires for decades, without any problems.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - January 16 2020 :  2:09:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
So, update. They work! They're surprisingly strong, too. Most of the Bachmann locos that were having issues are now running almost as good as when they were new. While I was at it, I also put them on a Rivarossi Challenger I had which had its traction tires fall off, and they work quite nicely. For now, anyways.
-Steve

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 16 2020 :  7:56:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
So, update. They work! They're surprisingly strong, too. Most of the Bachmann locos that were having issues are now running almost as good as when they were new. While I was at it, I also put them on a Rivarossi Challenger I had which had its traction tires fall off, and they work quite nicely. For now, anyways.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - January 16 2020 :  2:09:54 PM

The beauty of it is, if they wear out or stop working, you probably still have most of a bag full to replace the worn out ones.

Carpe Manana!
  Previous Topic: A4 Spencer &  other streamlined Steamers Topic Next Topic: Bachmann e60  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000