Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 30 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 3D Printed Pylons for Schuco Monorail
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: AHM/Tyco Rolling Bridge Topic Next Topic: Scratchbuilding Questions  

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 22 2019 :  12:52:55 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I've been toying with the idea of having a monorail loop on the layout and I have a 1960's Schuco monorail and track, but I never did get any pylons for it. Recently I bought a resin 3D printer and decided it was time to create the pylons. I created the pylon in SketchUp and printed out six of them this weekend. They turned out great! Now all I need to do is add a 2mm connector pin and paint them concrete grey.

(BTW, maybe this forum should be named Customizing, Kitbashing and 3D Printing?)

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 22 2019 :  2:26:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Awesome! Do you think you could 3D print a part for a Lionel Ho GS-4 Daylight? It is the drive gear.
Thanks!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on December 22 2019 3:33:07 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 22 2019 :  5:13:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
Awesome! Do you think you could 3D print a part for a Lionel Ho GS-4 Daylight? It is the drive gear.
Thanks!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - December 22 2019 :  2:26:46 PM

I'm not sure resin is strong enough for gears. It is very brittle. You may want to check Shapeways and see if someone has created the part and is printing it in a tougher material. I recently purchased axle shafts from Shapeways for the Bachmann GS-4 to replace the original ones that split, but I haven't installed them yet.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 22 2019 :  5:58:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Thanks!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - December 22 2019 :  2:26:46 PM

I'm not sure resin is strong enough for gears. It is very brittle. You may want to check Shapeways and see if someone has created the part and is printing it in a tougher material. I recently purchased axle shafts from Shapeways for the Bachmann GS-4 to replace the original ones that split, but I haven't installed them yet.

Originally posted by Redwoods - December 22 2019 :  5:13:46 PM

Already checked there. Nothing. For some reason the gears and axles on the Lionel HO GS-4 are different than the ones on the bmann one, even though bmann made them for lionel.

I had arranged something with a guy on ebay to do it , he said it would be $20 if he could even do it. I said $15. He never replied...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 22 2019 :  8:24:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The pylons turned out great! I've always liked the Schuco monorail. If you've got the parts to make a full loop on your layout, I'd say go for it! The beams don't look like they'd be too hard to reproduce either.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 22 2019 :  9:44:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
The pylons turned out great! I've always liked the Schuco monorail. If you've got the parts to make a full loop on your layout, I'd say go for it! The beams don't look like they'd be too hard to reproduce either.

Originally posted by DaCheez - December 22 2019 :  8:24:23 PM

me too
At a train show the guy had it set up like it was in Disneyland with the castle & rides too
I saw that the switch was automatic & trains would stop if track was occupied!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 23 2019 :  9:38:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice pylons!! 3D printing is genius.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 24 2019 :  9:21:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice old Monorail! I have a Schuco VW that I have had probably for 50 years!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 25 2019 :  9:42:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
Nice old Monorail! I have a Schuco VW that I have had probably for 50 years!

Originally posted by walt - December 24 2019 :  9:21:45 PM

Schuco made some interesting and nice pieces!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Allthingsmustpass
Switcher

Posted - November 28 2022 :  7:10:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Allthingsmustpass to Buddylist
Redwoods,

Do you produce these for sale. Do you replicate the standard sizes of the Schuco Pylons?

I would love to get some.

Thanks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: November 28 2022  ~  Last Visit: November 28 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 29 2022 :  5:50:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by DaCheez - December 22 2019 :  8:24:23 PM

me too
At a train show the guy had it set up like it was in Disneyland with the castle & rides too
I saw that the switch was automatic & trains would stop if track was occupied!

Originally posted by microbusss - December 22 2019 :  9:44:11 PM

saw it all again with Moon Prices on individual sets!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: AHM/Tyco Rolling Bridge Topic Next Topic: Scratchbuilding Questions  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000